It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Men, Straight Women Have Similar Brains

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
We also know from other studies that meditation can change how the brain functions physiologically.

So, the question remains: Is this difference inherent, or is it caused by their actions?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_Orange
reply to post by Griff

It's illegal if you are running a business and refuse to hire anyone or let anyone into your store. But thank you, I'm quite free to walk down the street and discriminate against anyone I want, thank you it's a free country.

Come to the UK and discriminate against me in the street. I might wear pink tops but i'd have a good go at knocking the s**t out of you.

Tell u what i dare u to go to your local bears bar and discriminate against them. wouldn't last a minute.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I always had a feeling that this would be the case,a brain thing. Rather than a "i watched an episode of will and grace and now I love the men" kind of a thing.

Oh,and I'll back up what pimpdog said. Us gays can hold our own. Think about it,a life time of people giving you grief toughens you up. Even the screamers can swing a punch (they're just more likley to worry if they break a nail
)

Edit: Language.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pimpdogg

Heyyy.. Don't bring pink tops into this... I wear them myself.. and I'm not the least bit interested in the contents of anyones Y-fronts..

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Griff

It's illegal if you are running a business and refuse to hire anyone or let anyone into your store. But thank you, I'm quite free to walk down the street and discriminate against anyone I want, thank you it's a free country.

Wow...your words speak volumes about your negativity. What if, by chance, you had a son and he happened to be gay? Would you discriminate against him as well?

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
That sounds like an excellent topic for the Debate Forum. Any takers on both sides of this issue?

I would like to see this also, but I wouldn't want to participate as a debater, because I really don't know the answer. (I would be a much better reader than advocate in either direction.)

I SUSPECT it is good for society, with some limits, although those limits are probably pretty small and insignificant. For example -- acceptance of homosexuality is obviously good for the economy (to some measurable degree.) It is probably good for the mental health of a lot of citizens, measurable by drops in suicide rates (seems likely to me.) It might be good for the simple reason it reduces population pressures.

I could also see how it would not be particularly good if, for example, wealth and power accumulated too rapidly among a significant sized minority of homosexuals, at the expense of the heterosexual population. There might be a disfavorable trade off in health care costs -- sexually transmitted diseases versus stress related diseases, etc. It might cause a lot of new and unhealth stress in the heterosexual population, with no way of mitigating that.

Someone here (other than me) has to be available. Please volunteer!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Hmm, so gay humans are defective after all and it is a disorder...

No, it's not a disorder. It's different. Like being left-handed is *not* a disorder.

Gay humans are no more defective than Straight humans.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I believe the Spartans were practicing homosexuals as were many of the Greek Hopolite Regiments.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
hmm. So sad that biological difference = defect to some people.

I'm guessing the same people who believe being gay is a sin and who believe in intelligent design. Thereby disproving their own intelligence. Answer me this: How can an intelligent design have defects?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
You know what is sad, that you put up a thread that could have started an intelligent conversation, I'm sorry it didn't turn out that way for you. But you could photograph the Gay Gene and they'd still call it a defect. It's called ignorance of science. This whole debate has been fueled by hatred and misinformation for as long as I can remember.

And it is always the idiots who win, because they are always the loudest.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Originally posted by Alxandro
further proof that homosexuality is genetic.

Impossible. If someone was actually homosexual (same sex) they would have no offspring. There are no children from same-sex unions.

What I mean by genetics is that homosexuality is in the person's genes from a standoint of how that person happens to be wired, or rather, mis-wired.
I did not state homosexuality was hereditery.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
We also know from other studies that meditation can change how the brain functions physiologically.

So, the question remains: Is this difference inherent, or is it caused by their actions?

If you can show how meditation changes the brain physically and not just how the brain functions, I'd give you a little more credit.

We aren't talking about how the brain functions but how the brain is physically.

Meditate on that.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
You know what is sad, that you put up a thread that could have started an intelligent conversation, I'm sorry it didn't turn out that way for you. But you could photograph the Gay Gene and they'd still call it a defect. It's called ignorance of science. This whole debate has been fueled by hatred and misinformation for as long as I can remember.

And it is always the idiots who win, because they are always the loudest.

Yeah, you've got a great point.

Thanks for the sentiment and the perspective.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

If you can show how meditation changes the brain physically and not just how the brain functions, I'd give you a little more credit.

We aren't talking about how the brain functions but how the brain is physically.

Meditate on that.

Priceless...

"Meditate on that!"

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Ha ha ha!!!! Yeah Some straight folks think that if you're "Gay" then you know all about fashion,decorating,dress like girls,act femine,ect..... Im "Gay" and NO I don't want to be a girl,I don't act femine,I don't follow fashion trends, not a perv,Not promiscous. Yes Im very very very happy with being a man. Just because someone is "Gay" doesnt mean you're not a man perhaps we're more man than all those so called "straight man" ha ha ha ha

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This new study just plays into all the other studies that suggest that gay people are born rather than bred. Of the gay people i've known they all say the same thing, that they always knew they were gay. Oh apart from one woman i know who became gay after being beaten by several men. That's a whole other issue though.

I think the point is that if someones gay they are born that way nearly all of the time and it's pretty hard to suppress. For all the religious people who think being gay is wrong, well think about this. If god made us all, designed us and threw in a soul, then he designed their brains to be gay. So basically he was making them something you think he thinks is wrong.

Some good research i like it

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
OMG, being gay is a CHOICE not a BRAIN DEFECT!! God does not accept gay men into heaven, so why would he create man like that??

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by furiousracer313
OMG, being gay is a CHOICE not a BRAIN DEFECT!! God does not accept gay men into heaven, so why would he create man like that??

OMG, being ignorant is a choice. Being gay is not. And you know what god does and doesn't do.

How about gay women as it says nothing in there about them? Please keep God out of discussions on science.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So does this means that at a young age it might be posible to tell if a child will turn out be gay?

Just a question.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayacara

Very good response. I would imagine that most women would say that as well. I know a few gay men at work and believe me you wouldn't have know. Its only that they tell you and you shake your head. They are great guys as well. Let everyone live their lives I say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join