It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Men, Straight Women Have Similar Brains

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
Is this really any surprise? That gay males act like women? No wonder gay men like to go around shopping and decorating and crying and doing their nails and watching Oprah. It is nice to have this confirmed with evidence though I will agree. And to those that will take my humor seriously, relax please.

Humour aside, it is this type of humor that gets gay people bashed and killed. Because you think we are less human than you.

BTW, I'm a gay man who drinks beer, watches sports, belches, farts, hates to shop, has dirty finger nails, is the worst decorator out there and have no fashion sense. So, where do I fit in your stereotypical world?

its from the media and movies shoving will and grace down peoples throats that gay men are "nancy boys"

90% of my gay friends are opposite of all of these stereotypes listed in the post

alot of my lesbian friends are nowhere near wearing flannel at all

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Impossible. If someone was actually homosexual (same sex) they would have no offspring. There are no children from same-sex unions.

How do two people who have brown eyes end up having an offspring that has blue eyes? Maybe a class on genetics would help? And this comming from a mod.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Humour aside, it is this type of humor that gets gay people bashed and killed. Because you think we are less human than you.

BTW, I'm a gay man who drinks beer, watches sports, belches, farts, hates to shop, has dirty finger nails, is the worst decorator out there and have no fashion sense. So, where do I fit in your stereotypical world?

I am sorry to have offended you, many apologies. I do not hate or bash gay people at all. In fact, I know plenty of gay males personally that would look at my statement and laugh. If we cannot laugh at ourselves, it clearly shows that we are ashamed of something and do not find it funny.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
What about me? I am a Lesbian trapped in a mans body! .......

........ Come on, think about it!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
What about me? I am a Lesbian trapped in a mans body! .......

........ Come on, think about it!

there are so many things of being a lesbian you could not possibly understand to be a lesbian

any woman would tell you the same thing

nice joke though, i got it

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

That still doesn't work. Even if it was a supressed gene, it would be snuffed out anytime it became dominant. If blue eyed people never had kids we would eventually get to the place that such an event would become an extreme rarity.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
I am sorry to have offended you, many apologies. I do not hate or bash gay people at all. In fact, I know plenty of gay males personally that would look at my statement and laugh. If we cannot laugh at ourselves, it clearly shows that we are ashamed of something and do not find it funny.

I didn't mean to come off that I was blasting you in anyway. I knew you were joking. Just was pointing out that sometimes joking can have severe consequences to those joked about. Cheers. Like I said in another thread, today is my first smoke free day so don't take it personal if I get irritable.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

I hate stereotyping.

I am male and I am a Nurse. I am also heterosexual.

Of all the 30 to 40 or so male Nurses I know, only 3 or 4 of them are Homosexual, to my knowledge. In fact I know more Lesbian Nurses than I know gay ones.

You would be surprised at the looks I get from males when they discover what i do for a living. Most females i talk to about it think its cool.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

You obviously don't know anything about genes, so I will just leave you to your ignorance.

Here's a site that lists some dominant genes and recessive genes.

Notice that the dominant genes for apendages include extra digits (fingers, toes).

www.blinn.edu...

So, by your definition, everyone should be walking around with 6 fingers per hand or 6 toes per foot?

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Griff]

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Griff]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
For example, the brains of straight men and of gay women share certain common features: both are slightly asymmetric, with the right hemisphere larger than the left, say the Swedish researchers. On the other hand, the brains of gay men and straight women are both symmetrical.

You cannot discriminate for what someone IS -- only for what someone DOES. So, if sexual preference is solely determined by genetics, then this will end to the discussion regarding same sex preference.

If homosexuality results from genetic makeup, from birth, you cannot discriminate against it.

However, I wonder whether this genetic component is REQUIRED for homosexuality, or is just an indicator of likelihood? That would leave the door open to discrimination, especially if one of the genetic triggers is openness and acceptance of homosexuality by society (for example.) Maybe you need two things to become homosexual: a genetic disposition AND an environmental trigger.

I don't think we will be finding the cause of homosexual behavior very soon, any more than we will be finding the cause for any strong human emotion – love, hate, greed, anger, fear. Further studies, while interesting, probably won't end this debate. You need to go somewhere else to look (maybe the new "Psychology, Philosophy, and Metaphysics Forum" at ATS.)

One final note: it might be easier to prove whether homosexuality is good or bad for society than what causes homosexuality in humans. Maybe homosexuality, at just the right measure, makes society much stronger, like alloying iron and carbon to make steel. (Too much carbon can weaken steel, but adding just the right amount of carbon will make iron much stronger.) That is something that statistical analysis could probably prove or disprove easily.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayacara
Gay men are in no way defective they are just made differently from straight men.

Sorry, but males are males. When they are defective to the point where their brains function as female brains, and they act like females, that is not normal.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division

Originally posted by Quazga
For example, the brains of straight men and of gay women share certain common features: both are slightly asymmetric, with the right hemisphere larger than the left, say the Swedish researchers. On the other hand, the brains of gay men and straight women are both symmetrical.

You cannot discriminate for what someone IS -- only for what someone DOES.

So if someone is a schizophrenic serial killer (because of mental disorders) I can't discriminate against them? Sorry, that logic is flawed.

If someone does not act normal, I don't care what the reason is, I have every right to discriminate against them (at least in america).

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Agent_Orange]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_Orange
I have every right to discriminate against them (at least in america).

Since discrimination is illegal here in the US, you are way off. Par for the course for your abnormal lopsided brain though.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

You cannot discriminate for what someone IS -- only for what someone DOES.

So if someone is a schizophrenic serial killer (because of mental disorders) I can't discriminate against them? Sorry, that logic is flawed.

It may seem flawed logic, but that is what is generally accepted by society as humane. Specifically, insanity is accepted as a legitimate defense.

www.enotes.com...

A better example of what I am talking about is the "Americans With Disabilities Act":

www.ada.gov...

You can't discriminate against someone because they are disabled. That is the way a person is -- not something that person has made a choice about.

Note there are limits to accomodating people who are disabled, insane, or otherwise different. The accomodation has to made only if it is "reasonable". (See the above link.)

Maybe this logic IS FLAWED as you say. But that is what the law currently says about BEING instead of CHOOSING the way you are. You can discriminate against smokers all day long -- smoking and drinking and using drugs is a "choice" you make.

So the question is: do homosexuals have no choice, because of their genetics? That is what this study attempts to address.

Edit: To trim quotes and make things a bit clearer.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

It's illegal if you are running a business and refuse to hire anyone or let anyone into your store. But thank you, I'm quite free to walk down the street and discriminate against anyone I want, thank you it's a free country.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Finally a straight (so to speak) post on the subject. Being gay does not mean you are some kind of freak, but it is certainly not "normal" - for if it were the human race would have disappeared a long time ago.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by Griff

Finally a straight (so to speak) post on the subject. Being gay does not mean you are some kind of freak, but it is certainly not "normal" - for if it were the human race would have disappeared a long time ago.

homosexuality has been around forever

look at history, do you think this is just a new trend?

geesh

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by Griff

I'm not going to be a big apologist for the gay and lesbian movement – I will leave that to someone who actually is gay or lesbian, so I hate to keep going on this thread. (This subject could be discussed without limit or resolution, and has been for years.)

However, I'm seeing a lot of interesting perspectives in this thread, with plenty to argue with.

I think that being gay is actually "normal", in that it is not particularly rare in our society, or in history.

There is a lot of latitude in what constitutes "normal". Normalcy refers to the distance from the average, typically measured in terms of the average's standard deviation. We know that, in the USA, the standard deviation is really large. I think homosexuality probably falls within one standard deviation of the average sexual proclivities of USA citizens, at least. That would make homosexuality officially "normal".

What I think you are really arguing is that being gay is not "natural", because it doesn't lead to human procreation. But that is also an arguable measure of whether homosexuality is natural. For example, maybe homosexuality is actually very important to supporting the whole complex societal system?

I think the real discussion should be whether homosexuality is overall good or bad for society, and that is something you could look at in terms of economics, standard of living, education, etc. I would find that much more interesting that a study of dubious value that compares and contrasts the male and female brains.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

So pointing out genetic disorders / defects is now hate? Wow. I guess everything is hate these days.

So you argue that they aren't defective, and it's normal for males to have female brains?

Is someone having down syndrome or born with only 1 leg also normal to you, or would that be a defect?

What's next, women born with penises are also normal and it's not a genetic defect?

Its tommy homophobe bigots like u that make life so hard for gay people. The fact you are so openly homophobic just shows me you are obviously insecure in yourself, i should know cos i've been there before i came out myself.

Edit: Language removed.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I think the real discussion should be whether homosexuality is overall good or bad for society...

That sounds like an excellent topic for the Debate Forum. Any takers on both sides of this issue?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join