It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilot ejects as Harrier crashes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Pilot ejects as Harrier crashes

news.bbc.co.uk

A pilot managed to eject to safety as an RAF jet crashed in a field near a village in Rutland.
A Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokeswoman said the Harrier crashed north-east of RAF Cottesmore at about 1350 BST.

She said the pilot ejected and came down using a parachute and was "alive and conscious". He is receiving treatment in hospital.
Residents said the crash happened about 200yds (180m) from Ashwell. No civilian casualties were reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yet another Harrier crashes, the last crash in the UK was only a year or so ago if I remember correctly.

Looking at the video it seems to be more of a crash landing and not a full out smash; the plain looks ever so slightly intact but defiantly a write off.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There have been 143 differant crashes of the Harrier since its inception 31 years ago. All have been equipment related. Many on takeoff because of uncommanded roll overs. There is an ongoing investigation of this phenomona here in the states. Some believe its computer related. others in the engine management systems. Still, this is one hell of an aircraft and I hope they find the problems. Our Marines rely on Harriers.

Zindo

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Thirst

Seeing how the pilot ejected and he wasn't over a runway I doubt he was attempting to land. Why he ejected is the only question, assumed he lost power and knew it was going down hard, so he ejected to save himself.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

RAF pilots don't take ejecting lightly - they can only eject 3 times before they're not allowed to fly any more.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
reply to post by verylowfrequency

RAF pilots don't take ejecting lightly - they can only eject 3 times before they're not allowed to fly any more.

Would that be due to cumulative spine injuries or deciding the pilot was at fault no matter what?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420

See, I'd think all it would take is being forced to eject once and I wouldn't want to fly any more. I swear fighter pilots must have nerves of pure steel and be nuttier than a squirrel turd.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

The US made Harriers (built under license in the USA) have completely different systems and engines. A lot of the crashes in US Harriers have been attributed to pilot error as well.

UK Harriers don't crash that often. Tornadoes fall out the sky more frequently. From eyewitness descriptions of this event, I'd suspect a major engine failure of some kind. People have described seeing a flash and hearing a bang from the aircraft before it seemed to lose power and fall out the sky trailing flames. Could be a bird strike too I suppose.

I've never heard of the "three ejections and out" rule before. Any evidence for this? My uncle is an RAF pilot and has never mentioned it.

On a side not, there was a story a few years ago about a Harrier that was hit in the canopy by a bird over the Med. The pilot flew it home without any canopy and managed to bring it in. Must have been windy!

top topics

join