It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phones. Soon to charge you for incoming calls.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Mobile phone owners could be charged to receive calls when using handsets in the UK, it has been claimed.

Currently, consumers who take their handsets overseas can be hit with a bill of up to 19p a minute to take an incoming call.

Now a similar system could be imposed on domestic calls, according to mobile phone industry insiders.

Greedy ? yeah for sure - but a sure fire way to kill the mobile phone industries, and preventing people from communicating with each other.

I'll give away my mobile rather than have charges for people calling me.

Whats says you ? greed or a plan to lower our ability to communicate freely ?

daily mail

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yeah im with you, ill smash my phone o bits rather than give them the pleasure of ripping me off anytime they wish too, i pay enough on contracts as is and it dont need to be going up anytime soon, when will these people learn they just cant go around moving the bloody goalposts when they like it.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
Yeah im with you, ill smash my phone o bits rather than give them the pleasure of ripping me off anytime they wish too, i pay enough on contracts as is and it dont need to be going up anytime soon, when will these people learn they just cant go around moving the bloody goalposts when they like it.

man...i thought the corporations were bad here across the pond, but you brits are getting f'd. we regular people in both countries have more in common then you think. the movie ("V" for Vendetta) comes to mind. good luck mates, and keep us posted

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
They already do this in the United States, they just don't say so explicitly.

When you make or RECEIVE a call, it uses your minutes, for which you have paid (or will pay, depending on your billing).

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

i think that is their answer...they need to find a carrier that has unlimited incoming minutes...but that might be not possible

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
They already do this in the United States, they just don't say so explicitly.

When you make or RECEIVE a call, it uses your minutes, for which you have paid (or will pay, depending on your billing).

yup, unless someone has the same carrier as i do, i am charged for incoming calls as well as outgoing calls. well, i am not charged, the ex is actually charged
. (i rarely use my cell phone though, so it is not really an issue for even him)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Our plan has an option to buy unlimited incoming for $14.00 a month otherwise the incoming calls use your "minutes" like outgoing calls do.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
paying for answering on mobile???
that is too much.
not only are we beeing ripped off by prices now, they want to charge me for incoming calls now?
i rather eat my mobile then pay incoming call.
i remember days before mobile... i was alright then, i will be allright now without one.

JAK

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
So now when I receive a call from a wrong number or random nuisance trying to sell me tat I neither need nor want I shall be charged for the inconvenience?

Seems fair to me.

Jak

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I always thought that minutes were minutes. I have the lowest calling plan on my phone but thanks to rollover minutes, I have thousands of unused minutes just sitting there. Sometimes I question why I even have this piece of junk.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Not only are you already paying per minute but it hasn't been that long since carriers switched over to the bulk minute plans. Also, the bulk minute plans are what caused our gov (US) to allow telemarketers to call our cells. The only real difference is that bulk minute help keep you from accidentally running up high bills.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
In Australia i pay $79 a month for $500 dollars worth of calls then if i go over the $500 i get charged for each call + i'm on a $49 a month for the phone for 2 years LOL they bend you over any way they can

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
well, I think ive got a pretty good deal with my mobile phone,

1000 text messages
400 anytime, any network minutes
unlimited free O2 to O2 calls

all for £30 per month.

but, if I start getting charged for incoming calls, then i'll just get a carrier pigeon!

top topics

join