It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal Drugs Kill Far More Than Illegal, Florida Says:NY Times

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
...Every time you get a prescription filled (at least around here), you get a little fact sheet to go with it. This fact sheet lists possible side effects and dangers associated with the drug. ...

What REALLY cracks me up is that every once in a while, you see a drug where the side effects are the EXACT SAME as the symptoms they are supposed to treat!
(Can you say: "really fancy placebo"?)

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

but of course!!!

much more "legal" drugs are used! its a mere statistical matter.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Don't forget that many people actually sell their own prescription pills for extra cash. I've known and heard of quite a few cases where people have been prescribed something "fun" and they'll sell it for a few bucks a dose to anyone. I've known people who were addicted to prescription drugs and never had a prescription for them. I've also known a few people who got addicted to synthetic opiates and are now full blown heroin addicts living on the streets. In fact, almost all hardcore drug users I know either started out on prescription pills at a young age or will sometimes use prescription pills in place of "hardcore" drugs when they can't get any.

As for myself, I've avoided addiction to any hardcore or prescription substances and I've even helped a few friends avoid them too. Alcohol is also a pretty serious substance and I won't touch it unless it's a dark imported beer and comes with bratwurst, sour kraut and potato salad. My only real vices are coffee, cigarettes, mary jane and tattooing

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

(Can you say: "really fancy placebo"?)

I can say really expensive placebo.
I can also say really dangerous placebo.

Here's a nice little story that happened to a friend of mine a few weeks back: Her daughter, 16 y/o, had a bad coiugh that was persisting, so she took her daughter to a doctor. The doctor prescribed $200 worth of medication!
When she told him she couldn't afford to get it, he gave her some samples to try out until she could afford it.

One of the medicines caused an allergic reaction. A serious allergic reaction. Twice, the girl had to be rushed to the hospital. Once she almost slipped into a coma. She was breaking out in a rash that was swelling every inch of her skin, and I assume, her trachea as well, since it was making it hard for her to breathe.

For four weeks, she had to take an over-the-counter allergy pill every four hours and avoid any kind of heat. Just walking in the sun caused her to start swelling. A few minutes late on her medicine and she'd start to blow up like a red balloon again.

Gee, thanks, doc, for almost killing that girl with your fancy medicines. Thanks for making four weeks of her life hell. Thanks also for trying to get $200 of a woman's hard earned cash given to a pharmaceutical company for the privilege.

Some of this fancy stuff makes me think crack and meth look tame...

TheRedneck

P.S.: She did quit coughing. Apparently it was the breathing that was causing it.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

Similar findings for '___'... schedule 1 as well
An excellent ego slayer and makes you take a big long look at yourself hehehe... 'why the hell do I drink, it makes me stupid and poisons me' thinks the alcoholic..

Clicky here

"The '___' experience appeared to allow the patients to go through a spiritual journey that ultimately empowered them to heal themselves, and that's really quite an amazing therapy regimen," Dyck said. "Even interviewing the patients 40 years after their experience, I was surprised at how loyal they were to the doctors who treated them, and how powerful they said the experience was for them--some even felt the experience saved their lives."

Source from above link.

reply to post by TheRedneck

Seems to be a more and more common thing. Gotta have a pill for this and that, I don't take prescription meds at all - cures are in the environment around us! Last time I did was when I was 14 and I chucked up after a child strength panadol :/

[edit on 17/6/08 by GhostR1der]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
What have we learned thus far in this century? The ones making the funds are pretty much the suspects. The sight of a pharmaceutical makes me ill to my stomach...

The argument between which is the worse of two evils is an old one, but let's use common sense here as opposed to what has been told to us. When I go to a different country (I am from the USA) and hear about how marijuana is seen as one of the worst drugs, up there with heroin and the likes (I am in Taiwan right now), and how ketamine and coc aine is a lesser crime than weed... I simply ask "why?".

The answers given are never... individually thought out. They are responses of information that was passed to them and never considered. I point out that alcohol has tended to, throughout history, make folks lose CONTROL, which means their actions are out of their hands! And for the case of marijuana, they get lit and, throughout history, this has had a calming, peaceful effect (besides the occasional paranoia). So why would one (alcohol), so readily available, be legal and the other (marijuana) be subject to intense criminalization? I am not advocating the use of one over the other, just that common sense takes a seat in the shadow of "what the government/pharmacies/etc. have spoken".

Who controls the drugs in the streets (in the USA at least)? Who controls the legal drugs that are passed out like bread and butter raking in billions and billions? Who contributes to the elected?

I strongly advise people, not for the sake of who's right/who's wrong, to really watch what man-made substance they intake. I understand some of them do good for whatever ailment, but for the majority... the pharmaceuticals are not the answer. Be very careful and ask a lot of questions! Only the heavenly divine and the billionaires and the folks in their pockets know what those pills are made of and what they do.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
There should be no such thing as an "illegal drug".

The government has no Constitutional powers to dictate what an individual may or may not put into their own body.

Simply amazing that the American people willingly stand by and let government control their lives simply because government can't tax a certain item.

The Boston Tea Party took place over far less infringements than what we as Americans are forced to live with every day.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

With patent expiration wiping out its blockbusters, Wyeth has been desperate to find new drugs. It may have one. The beaten-down pharmaceutical company released data Tuesday that brings hope that an Alzheimer's treatment has significant potential.

Made me laugh in a way. Great timing guys...

Here's the rest of the article:

www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

The Boston Tea Party took place over far less infringements than what we as Americans are forced to live with every day.

Someone once told me the Boston Tea Party was over a 1/2% tax. Now I am not gonna swear that figure is correct (but feel free to enlighten me someone). but I am sure it was not a 50+ % tax like we pay now.

I don't understand why marijuana is so hard to tax. Look at the taxes on tobacco. The two substances are inherently similar from a horticultural point of view.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Without researching, I believe the actual tax was 1%, but the 1/2% could be correct.

The only reason marijuana is illegal is the inability of government to tax something that most people could simply grow themselves.

I haven't smoked pot since high school, but I fully support the legalization of it, and all other drugs for that matter. Besides the numerous health benefits it provides to people in the late stages of cancer and other diseases, hemp has tons of industrial uses.

I base my opinion on the simple fact the Constitution doesn't authorize the government to make something such as pot illegal.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
A person close to me is a former pothead, who's afraid of using marijuana anymore because he has a prior and another arrest would mean serious jail time. Instead, he abuses oxycontin and percocet, which he can get legally. He's overdosed twice and nearly died. I'd give anything to see him allowed to use pot again.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join