It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain: EU agrees to freeze Iran bank's assets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Britain: EU agrees to freeze Iran bank's assets

news.yahoo.com

Brown, speaking at a news conference with President Bush, said Britain will work to persuade Europe to follow suit.

The British leader said that assets of Iran's Bank Melli would be frozen. Last year, the United States accused the bank of providing services to Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

"Action will start today in new phase of sanctions on oil and gas," Brown said. "We will take any necessary action so that Iran is aware of the choice it needs to make."

The U.S. and some of its allies accuse Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons. Iran denies that, saying its atomic program is aimed at using nuclear reactors to generate electricity.

Related Searches:
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-6-2008 by TruthWithin]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is a giant step. I don't see good things coming from this.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-6-2008 by TruthWithin]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I know this is going to really pi## them off Why is Bush pushing so hard?? i thought he and his mates would have enough money in the bank to see them 2 life times over

But we all know this is just another push towards another dam war

It would be so nice for all to know what peace and love is like

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by duffster

I would rather them freeze accounts than go in and start bombing Ill take this any day. I think we all know there is nothing to the Iranian story besides some agenda.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'm sure I read somewhere last week that Iran had already transferred assets away from EU banks as they saw this one coming.
One could argue that our own banking institutions are doing the same by investing in the arms industry. An industry, I might add, that has killed a great many more people than the Iranians have so far.

Of course, our weapons of mass destruction are good and wholesome, whereas any that might be developed by Iran are evil and so much more lethal than ours.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well, you have to admit the world powers are trying to do everything they can to persuade Iran instead of just bombing them. SO many posters on here keep saying we are going to bomb Iran every few months but nothing happens...just more sanctions and diplomacy. I think there are folksd on here that are disappointed that we arent bombing Iran just so they could blame to adminstration for something.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Perhaps this can be considered 'standard' economic sanctions, but it is nevertheless a form of warfare.

Once nations begin down this path, it seems to herald larger conflicts on the horizon. I find it difficult to believe that Mr. Bush's recent trip to London had nothing to do with this 'initiative' against Iran.

I hope this goes no further than the economic side. We'll know more when the local embassies begin to issue significant 'personnel' changes.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Here's one piece about the Iranian banks moving assets.

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I would imagine this will only force Iran to trade using their oil. Whomever is buying the most, more likely China, probably won't go along either way. Iran probably has their money in other names as well. Terrorists are probably paid like mercenaries making their families the beneficiaries? I suppose these might also be set up as insurance policies? I find it hard to believe we can totally cut them off. But trading for oil might slow them down a little. They may have also put in underground pipelines and tunnels for trading.

top topics

join