It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We weren't designed to eat vegetables...here's the proof

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I made this thread in response to this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It offers no real proof, like the meat thread, other than speculation, but I am presenting it as proof anyways.

Chapter 1: The Myth That Vegetables Are "Good For You"

We've all heard it — from our parents, from our peers, from the news media, even from movie heroes. It is repeated like a mantra until it is accepted as fact without question:

"Eat your vegetables. They're good for you."

But are they? Are vegetables really the miraculous life-giving Food of the Gods they're made out to be? Are they really so good for you that you need to endure the hardship of putting these foul plants in your mouth just to stay healthy? Do the alleged benefits of eating vegetables outweigh the terrible cost of having to eat them?

In a word, no.

The myth that vegetables are "good for you" evolved at a time when our ancient ancestors had no other source of vitamins. If you didn't eat vegetables (or fruits) with vitamin C in them, you would get scurvy. The people of the time didn't know it was the vitamin C in the vegetables and fruits doing this, they simply knew that not eating vegetables or fruits meant scurvy. Similarly, if you didn't eat yellow vegetables, you would get night blindness from vitamin A deficiency. You could also get beriberi from insufficient thiamine (vitamin B1) and pellagra from insufficient niacin (vitamin B3). In the olden days, eating your vegetables really could spell the difference between life and death, because we didn't know what it was in the vegetables that gave them such great powers of health preservation.

Source: The Myth That Vegetables Are Good For You

Save a cow...eat a vegetarian!

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
That is awsome. Fantastic post!!! Star Flag and High five!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
LOL..yeah I know right, well here is a serious article on the subject as to why one should not be a vegetarian. I recommend you read it:

American Council of Science and Health: Why I am Not A Vegetarian by Dr. William T. Jarvis

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I saw a bumper sticker awhile back that read "PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals". My husband and I high-fived then went out for barbeque. It was a fitting tribute!

Seriously though, I had a friend back in my college days who went vegan. The whole "love, peace and granola" thing, and she suffered dearly. Her hair lost its luster, she had dental problems, she lost weight and became anemic. It got to the point where she wasn't allowed to donate blood. She eventually came around to her senses, but it took nearly two years.

Personally, I take a moderate stance. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Who high fives their husband? Seriously?

Texas is the reason...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Point well taken!

While hubby may drag his knuckles on ocassion, he's still my best friend of nearly 20 years!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
Who high fives their husband? Seriously?

Apparently Maria does.
Seriously. So what?

Anyway...I think the debate over whether or not we should eat meat is a bit absurd. We can if we want to, or not if we choose to. I settle on the omnivore title, and that seems to be the most logical one that has historically suited the human race. If you choose to refrain from eating meat then by all means do so. I just don't like the point where someone tries to tell me how it is the only right and natural way to live.

The privileged (and they usually are) Vegetarians and Vegans I came across in life seem to be comprised mostly of elitist snobs that scoff at the ignorance of someone that doesn't share their righteous indignation over a fish patty. It's like their way of life is a sort of cooler-than-thou club.

I personally remember my friend telling me that his girlfriend will personally attack me if I order anything with meat when we go out to dinner. I thought he was joking as I had just met her that day and assumed she'd have the decency to at least try and understand my point of view, let alone get to know who I was before ever trying something so snide.

I was wrong.

So that is how you make those that don't share your views see the light?
Arrogance?

If anything every Vegan and Veggie I met turned me FURTHER away from their philosophy which I was leaning more towards anyway as I rarely eat meat on a regular basis. Instead of calmly discussing the matter all you get is a stare from down someones nose.

That's just not a group I want to be a part of.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Obviously, defending the rights of other species should be mocked and ridiculed because ethical consensus is a time-wasting academic pursuit rather than the underpinning of healthy civilisations. What matters in life is the enforcement of one's will over another's, regardless of species. High five fascists!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Hey guys I am gonna run to Taco Bell anyone want a beef chalupa or a chicken quesadilla?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
Obviously, defending the rights of other species should be mocked and ridiculed because ethical consensus is a time-wasting academic pursuit rather than the underpinning of healthy civilisations. What matters in life is the enforcement of one's will over another's, regardless of species. High five fascists!

The argument and point here is not whether or not it is ethical to eat meat. The point is the lack of proof in the Meat thread.

The point is that the OP in the "We Were Not Designed to Eat Meat" thread presents statements that are false and offers not a shred of proof to back them up. Seriously, arguments such as "our back molars are flat" are obviously and blatantly wrong.

Humans are omnivores. Its not debatable. It's a fact.

But people do not even seem to care about this. I have presented a good piece of evidence as to why meat is important to the human diet, if you would note in an above post I made.

And get this....prepare yourself....its from the American Council of Science and Health! OMG! Proof????

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Aunty Christ says :-

Meat is good for you.. a nice pot roast or a bit of bully beef.. puts hairs on your chest... BUT,

you need to eat up all your veggies too, or there's no cake for your dessert..

Luv Aunty Christ

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
As a carnivour,i dissagree with the origional post.

If you look at your teeth,do they resemble that of a dog or that of a cow?

end.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I will testify!

Veggies give me gas and make me fart alot. I get bellyaches and want to retch! Especially the Brasicas like broccoli and cabbage.

I recently read where carrots contain carcinogens.

Tomatos cause neurological issues, like back pain and spasms!

Turnips smell like ammonia, that can't be good for you!

They frequently are contaminated with animal feces, and nasty bacteria!

And from what I have read, they have emotions and are sentient, forming a huge green living organism across the surface of the entire planet.
How could anyone even think of "Eating Mother Earth"?

What kind of sick B*****rds are they?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
A Tomato is a fruit[/pedantic git]

I think our bodies have evolved to cope with meat better,over thousands of years. But our teeth resemble that of a plant eater,not a meat eater.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
How does stupid counter stupid? It doesn't!

Peta properganda is stupidity sure enough. However how is it someone fools themselves into believing countering stupidity with stupidity is a good idea?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
As a carnivour,i dissagree with the origional post.

If you look at your teeth,do they resemble that of a dog or that of a cow?

end.

Our teeth are mixed. I don't know about you, but I have sharp ones as well as flat ones. My back molars are a little bit of both as well. They are sharp on the sides and kind of cave upward in the bottoms to create an upside down V shape. I don't call that flat.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
How does stupid counter stupid? It doesn't!

Peta properganda is stupidity sure enough. However how is it someone fools themselves into believing countering stupidity with stupidity is a good idea?

And you're right, stupid does not counter stupid. That's why i included the scientific article above...two posts down from the top.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Haha. I love this age old dilemma..

A friend of mine swears sweetcorn is the 'devils food'..
Coz anything that passes all the way through your digestive system and out the other side and looks EXACTLY the same has got to be unholy

On the other side of the 'survival' coin.. if the only thing standing between me and an end to a rumbly tum was a cute little fluffy bouncy lambykins...
I'd hunt for some wild mint to go with it. yummmmmm..

I need to find a bumper sticker that says
"I ate Bambi's mom"

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

ok,so we're omnivours. Thus we are designed to eat both meat and veg.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but how is this a credible source?
If you continue on to the next chapter, it goes on saying about how vegetables are evil because the bible said so and that "mushrooms are icky".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join