It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Metaphysics of Music

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechnoFan21
Well, as you can tell by my name, I am a big fan of music. I love music, and music has been my passage into other realities, art, and inner creativity. In fact, I am listening to music right now, Justice's Phantom Part 1 to be exact; but what is music? Is it a bunch of random notes that when put in a pattern makes someone's soul soar? Or is it something much more?

I tend to believe the latter, but let's look at the oddities of music.

A musical note can be measured in hertz. Let's pretend that A is at 300 hertz. If you double the hertz, you get the same note, but an octave up. If you reduce the hertz by half, you get the same note, just an octave down. Also, when you put the musical notes into a scale, if you have the right notes with the scale, almost ANYTHING will sound good, only if you get the scale right though: otherwise it sounds like s***. So, this is one way to look at music.

The other way is much more mysterious, though. If you have ever heard a piece of music that you like, you have gotten emotion from it. You don't understand why, but you just do. There is a part of the brain that transmits musical notes into emotion, but if music can be transmitted into emotion, that means the brain releases certain hormones by listening to music. If that is true, then music could, in theory, be used to sculpt certain aspects of the body. Maybe you can use music to lose weight, or to become smarter. If that is true, then is music just a combination of different hertz frequencies, it is a key to the body. Yet, it does not stop there. If one's ability to use music as a body tool is very good, then maybe it could be used to open up certain metaphysical passages that would never be before reached without the music. I know that this is so because I use music every time that I meditate, and every time it seems to improve my experience. So, is music another passage into worlds that we do not know? Can it open the door into the subconscious, and tap into the information that the Illuminati has hidden from our use?

Even more awaits in the oddities of music.

How do we compose? How do we choose the right amount of hertz to put into certain combinations? How did Beethoven compose, while deaf?
Well, that could only be explained as the part of the brain that transforms music into emotion, can turn emotion into music. Have you noticed that musicians are moody people? Or that their personality fits their music? Personality is controlled by one's normal emotion...If this is so, then it can be assumed that not only can music be the gateway into the astral realm, and many more realms, but that realms can manifest themselves in the form of music, like the way that emotion forms itself in music.

So, music is the astral world, emotion, soul, body, math, everything.

Music is everything.

TechnoFan21

Wow! brilliant

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Some examples of beautiful music:

Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Truly a magnificent piece with melodies and sonorities that help you glimpse of the divine.

The Lark Ascending - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Another wonderful piece by the same composer. This piece reveals the true beauty of the violin and the beauty and serenity of nature. It is a truly spiritual experience to listen to that piece.

Perfect Day - Miriam Stockley

A lovely piece that was heard in the Peter Rabbit BBC series.

and lastly

Jeux d'eau - Maurice Ravel

A piano piece of ethereal beauty. Just relax and listen...

By the way, for those interested in ambient music, definitely listen to Steve Roach.

Alexandros

[edit on 17-6-2008 by Alexander1111]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
GREAT post, but you lost me at Illuminati

-J

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
By the way one of my good friend's dad has made a few cd's with the concept of affecting your feeling and thought procces, i listed and not much to say but maybe i was a lil close minded back then

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander1111

Thanks for sharing these, truly harmonic and uplifting. Music is something that transcends time and caste, pure expression and light coupled with energy and emotion.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

You are welcome! Here's a favourite quote of mine regarding music:

[...]It is literally true, " melody has power a whole world to transform. " Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits.

Nice avatar by the way!

Alexandros

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Music is what bought me into thinking creatively and most importantly made me think of spiritual side of things.

I primarily listened to black metal while realizing this and a long time ago... various songs had a profound effect on me in various situations

I now have expanded into heaps of different types of music but still metal is my roots as such, got it off my older brother.
I meditate to various ambient tracks and also some hemi-synch stuff which is pretty out there.

Nice thread, thank you OP.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Freakin' cool thread, thanks everybody. I've been playing Metal for over two decades..., by the seat of my pants.
I tune down my "E" string to somewhere around "D" flat and use standard tuning from that point on.(I don't know why, that's just where it has to be for me.)
I've never had a formal lesson, can't read sheet music, I could guess that I'm generally playing in a minor tonality most of the time.

I've always relied on a sense of 'that feels right' in composing riffs, and usually perform well as long as I don't think too hard about what I'm trying to do. For me, the key is to get relaxed and smooth, and the more I get lost in the music, the more it just flows.

Despite my lack of knowledge of the written language and math of music, our Metal band has 16 original tunes (15 recorded) with more on the way.

I would post a link to our bands' Myspace page, but in my judgement, some of the content posted there most likely violates the respected T&C here at ATS.

If you know how marvelously crazy some Heavy/Thrash-Metal Fans can be, you know what I mean.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
as far as composing music while deaf goes, it isn't as hard as you think. As a music student, I often composed music in my class immediately before it was due. This meant i would have to compose music without being able to hear what i was composing. What non-musicians do not always understand is that there are lots of rules in some styles of classical music that dictates what notes can be used in what sequences to create an effect. I'm not claiming to be a musical genius, but i know a lot about music theory, so i can get away with doing this. Beethoven was obviously more successful as he was regarded as a genius, although i personally prefer bach.

for an exercise in deaf composition, try "thinking" a scale without humming or making any audible noise. In other words, try to silently "hum" do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-ti-do (or your scale of choice) in your head. Now try forming a melody with the different notes.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TechnoFan21

Thank you for posting this topic. I am a frequent visitor to ATS and have never posted anything on the site before but for this one, I have to tell my story about music. Growing up I've always said that music was a key to life. When you look at every human culture, every human race, every religion or cerimony, music is a key factor. I have learned there is a song for every human emotion or feeling a person is in that can either stimulate or increase that feeling, or a song that completely change it. For instance if I see your pissed and want to release some built up energy, I'll throw on some hardcore tear $h!t up heavy metal to keep that state of mind going. On the other hand if I see your pissed and you want to be calmed down I'll throw on something a bit softer to change the mood. If you are head over heels in love and want to express it there are plenty of songs for that and at the same time if you are head over heels in love and your relationship came to an end there are songs to help you get over it. Depressed, Happy, Want to party, there is a song for it. Through music I have learned to see the hidden truths that are kept locked away. Music has given me the gift to see reality as a whole instead of just what is being shown. Like I said growing up I've always said music is a key to life. It wasn't until I became friends with a person who shall remain nameless whose saying is MUSIC IS LIFE. Music is in fact everything the greatest power in the world if you know how to use it. I myself never knew how to play instruments but after expressing my, thoughts, views, and personal beliefs and philosophies to said friend and others in that genre they convinced me to start making my own music so that is what I've been working on. If you want to go on a mental trip into a reality so few know exist or so many try to hide than I welcome you to go check out my music page.

www.myspace.com/chaoticwolfwarpartyentertainmet

To contact me you can reach me at that site.

Howling At The Moon,
Chaotic Wolf

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexander1111

Those are heart touching examples of music, such beauty, cannot be described by mere words alone. I wish they could. It would make me feel more complete, but they just can't.

I would like to rehash an argument though.

It is the essential degrading of the Hip-Hop genre. We had a coupple of posters bring to our attention some raps that were more than about what we usually generalize Hip-Hop for.

Here are some pretty good artists to describe what I mean, and their notable songs.

Gorillaz- All Alone, and Clint Eastwood.

What I love about the Gorillaz is how they always seem to amaze me with their colorful lyrics. Here's an example

"...I see destruction and demise, corruption in the skies, from this f***in enterprise, now I'm suckin' to your lies, through Russel not his muscles but percussion he provides. With me as a guide, y'all can't see me now because you don't see with ya' eyes, you perceive with your mind..."

I thought that passage said a lot about how we don't sometimes see what is really there.

Also, the Asian Dub Foundation's Fortress Europe uses the topic of a New World Order.

So, there is much to be learned from Hip Hop. I also have to say that I am a bit of a Hip Hop artist also...I have been trying to acquire a talent for freeform rap so that I could just rap at the drop of a hat.

reply to post by mr-lizard

Thank you for your generous helping of links Lizard!

I appreciate you finding these study tools.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
When I was in high school and community college i took my share of music classes. So I've studied music a little and played it alot.

Music is one of those interesting things in life. The op spoke about classical music composers. You know that in order to compose music like they did it would mean that you would have to know what each musical instrument sounded like. besides it's sound you would also have to know it's range and key. Basically almost as if you had played that instrument itself and knew all it's tricks. Which is no mean feat. And you would have to have the ability to do this all in your head. A pretty amazing feat.

Now when I was in high school we had a slightly autistic kid in band class. This kid had a gift with music. He had the ability to hear a song once. And then go over to the piano and play the song for you on the piano from memory.

I always wondered about that. And I've read that some autistic people seem to have a gift with math and with music. It would seem that music has some math basis or relation. And maybe the frequencies and hertz have a very real effect on our brains.

And I'd say from experience that there is definately something happening with certain songs that give us certain feelings in our brains.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I thought this was stuff everyone knew.

Now, I know why most people will choose a human life over music...I will not. Although we create the music(to a certain degree), music to me, is more important than my family. No, not a musical career, but music itself.

There is relation to math and music, but music and math are not and never the same. I don't understand people. Math has limits, music does not...period. There are no real rules. The kid could play over the song because he knew what sounds the keys made and could easily remember the melody of the song. Rarely, you will hear a melody you've never heard before, so piecing the parts together is not that hard. What changes is the mood each instrument gives. A joyful melody on one instrument, using the same root note may sound sorrowful on another. Tempo also changes mood.

I love music as I love life. Because to me, music defines us as human. The ONLY thing that separates us from other animals on a definite and large scale, is art(creativity)...and music is art. Creativity is what adds flavour and vibrance to life.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by sdrawkcabII]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdrawkcabII

There is relation to math and music, but music and math are not and never the same. I don't understand people. Math has limits, music does not...period. There are no real rules.

Ah. Yes. That is because music is math and magic combined. There are no limits when two opposites compliment each other.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Music is simply a paradox.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I was speaking with a musician friend and your original post points came into light. he were discussing harmonics and the such and what you said earlier reminded me of the golden spiral. By cutting the frequency in half you get an octave lower but the same note. below is a link to the math of the spiral. Also it reminds me of the inner ear which is amazing in itself. so what frequency is at center...can it be reached or does pie and time stand in the way? Meditationis great and youll notice alot of the ancient mantras were a form of frequency singing to connect you to another reality.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Daemonsoul....Thank you for that post, which has kinda woken me up again...I've been reading this thread for days now, not knowing how to reply and trying to digest all the information contained within it. Thank you to all of you for making it so wonderful to read.

What woke me up again was the golden spiral information and the subject of synaesthesia...I don't have true synaesthesia, in terms of senses, but since I was old enough to recognise what numbers are, I've always seen them in my mind as a place on a spiral, with definite positions, and colours even. I'm absolutely not a mathematician, so I know I havent learned this consciously. I was wondering if anyone can report the same, or can explain it? I will try and draw a diagram tomorrow to see if it matches up...that will be interesting...

Meanwhile, thank you all again for this...it's really inspirational. And Daemonsoul is a *great* name!

Caitlin

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by YAHWEH333
Music is simply a paradox.

A paradox is never simple, its waves unleash unfathomable reactions. As does your name, Have you ever studied strongs concordance. Do you know before YAHWEH the hebrews said Ba'al which means MY 'ALIEN' MASTER. The same term given by all the slave people of earth. Only after becoming choosen ones they dervied the word Yahweh and Hu-man. Do you know how to pronounce YAHWEH. Think miltary..marines...Hu-Ha...showing the connection between us and this fake god lucifer. So we are alien half breeds of eve's original sin. and were givin religion to control and maintain power over our half breed slave species.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Now when I was in high school we had a slightly autistic kid in band class. This kid had a gift with music. He had the ability to hear a song once. And then go over to the piano and play the song for you on the piano from memory.

I always wondered about that. And I've read that some autistic people seem to have a gift with math and with music. It would seem that music has some math basis or relation. And maybe the frequencies and hertz have a very real effect on our brains.

And I'd say from experience that there is definately something happening with certain songs that give us certain feelings in our brains.

My son is a functioning autistic and i can speak to him and he understand a lot quicker when i sing song my voice and instructions. This has been proven countless times in others and am happy to see others relishing this fact.

my son is 5 now and is on spectrum with others his age group thanks to minnesotas great state run programs.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by daemonicsoul]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
Daemonsoul....Thank you for that post, which has kinda woken me up again...I've been reading this thread for days now, not knowing how to reply and trying to digest all the information contained within it. Thank you to all of you for making it so wonderful to read.

What woke me up again was the golden spiral information and the subject of synaesthesia...
Caitlin

right back at you for showing me the path to info on synaesthesia. Ive found myself in this state most of my life which i use to create wonderful poems and balance the truth from lies.

Found this too

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 19-6-2008 by daemonicsoul]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join