It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Metaphysics of Music

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Great, great thread...

I've always been fascinated by all styles and genre's of music, ranging from jazz to IDM to Psy-trance and anything inbetween.

Although i don't play any instruments, I am studying music tech and theory at college...

Since embarking on the course and through my own interests, I have stumbled across many interesting things...

Somebody mentioned Cymatics right? The effects of frequencies on water and sand.... okay, have you noticed how similar those patterns are between the japanese scientist who discovered the effects of thought waves on water and also the similarities on crop circles too...

www.life-enthusiast.com... (halfway down the page you will see the effects of music on water)

www.cropcirclesecrets.org...

www.lovely.clara.net...

Sounds strange (excuse the pun), but I believe there is a secret yet to be unlocked in all of this...

Maybe the 432hz tuning is actually the earth's REAL harmonic, with the 440hz being slightly 'untuned'.... also could this be the reason why so many youngsters who listen to 'popular music' are so restless and agitated, effectively being untuned?

Also, strangely enough I'm sure I read somewhere that it was the nazi's who decided to implement the change from 432hz to 440hz?
Brainwashing or mind control?

www.mtvdance.com...

www.godlikeproductions.com...

Also, somebody mentioned music in dreams... sometimes when i'm day dreaming I hear some amazing music inside my own head (sometimes beats and grooves, sometimes melodies and hooks) and once and I kid you not, once I found myself waking up with tears in my eyes after a dream where I heard a beautiful ethereal piano being played... I honestly woke up crying with melancholic bliss.

So, it's proven that when we daydream and dream in sleep, our brainwaves are actually on a different waveform or something similar... so maybe, just maybe our brains are more receptive to the REAL vibrations of the planet, just without the distractions of life?

Also in the ancient Sanskrit verses, the universe supposedly started with a sound.

This REALLY is something to look into... there are many fields of science and spirituality that are connected through all of this...

Also research binaural frequencies and the effects of changing the brain state...

I'm sorry if my post seems to be a huge mish-mash of nazi's, dreams,crop circles, vibrations, the effects of sound on water and the pop music destroying our children... but this is where my research has taken me...

Good luck with your research and thankyou to all who have contributed to such an amazing topic...

One love

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
May i just add a few other links to lose yourself in...

www.geocities.com...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

answers.yahoo.com...

www.markorodin.com...
[edit on 17-6-2008 by mr-lizard]

[edit on 17-6-2008 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

You're welcome
. Um, I'm new to the whole u2u thing, not quite sure how to use it.

Originally posted by free-energy
The point is that the history of a note or a roulette wheel affects the universe and changes future history. Your brain can feel this.

This is why physicists say that observing the universe affects the results.

When you say history of a note, do you mean when and how it's been used? All throughout history?
I'm trying to wrap my head around what you're saying, lol.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Hey, I've heard of that Japanese scientist too and his experiments to do with thought waves affecting water, which eventually affects us. It's really interesting stuff. I first found out about him from that movie 'What the Bleep Do We Know?'. That's what got me interested in metaphysics.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Mr. B composed because he could hear the music in his head. After the music is in the head, ears aren't that important. Also Arron Copeland stopped composing in old age because he said he could no longer remember sound in his head so he could not "hear" in his head what he was writing.

As for sculpting emotions... the ancient Greeks were quite convinced that certain kind of music (modes then) should be listened to by certain people, for example soldiers would listen to one kind of mode but philosophers a different mode, and never should they listen to each others. That view is understandable in that modes are far more distinct in how they sound. In fact, today we listen to only two modes in the West, that which we call major and minor.

And the modern FREQUENCY of A is not 300, but 440, 220, 110, 55, 27.5, 880, 1760, et cetera. Also, when you hear one note, you are actually hearing a series of notes called the over tone series. This is why instruments in the same family sound well together because they produce similar overtone series. This is also true of singers in the same family... the Ames Brothers, Mills Brothers, the Lenin Sisters, the McGuire Sisters, the Andrew Sisters, et cetera because being in the same family assures similar vocal chords and enunciation to create a full sound by using the overtone series. This is also why composing for the carillon is difficult because each bell has a minor overtone series and if two bells have clashing overtones they will sound awful even though the same two notes would sound fine on other instruments.

Music is just another way of communicating.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Interesting thread and I will have to go back over it in more detail but I've noticed that nearly every poster so far has described how important music is to them and how it can make them feel.

Well, I have no ear for music at all and only very few pieces or songs can actually arouse energy within me. I'm wondering why this might be. I can go to a concert and not get lost in the energy of the crowd or the vibrations of the sound. I stand there as though everyone else can hear or feel something on another level that I have no access to. I rarely would feel the urge to dance, clap or tap my feet to a beat.

Although I'll always remember sitting around a table in school one lunchtime, someone had a guitar and began strumming "Wild Horses" by the Rolling Stones, one of the girls began singing spontaneously and she sang it with such raw emotion that everyone became completely still and just listened and watched her. That moment will stay with me forever because it's the first time that somebody's voice with a single instrument lifted me out of my body, or that's what it felt like. Euphoria. And these people weren't even professionals in any shape or form, just a kid with a guitar and a kid with a voice.

I think I can only really feel music that was written in pure emotion as opposed to pure thought. Music that is also sung in pure emotion as opposed to pure thought. Anything else sounds forced and unreal and fails to connect with me on a spiritual level which is only where I can really feel music.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Good post. Whenever I meditate I listen to music and focus on it, it gets me into a certain state of mind that makes it easy. The first time I did meditation, it was actually an accident; I was sitting in front of my computer for a while, just listening to music, and I kindof spaced out and after a while I just lost all feeling in my body, the only thing I could feel was the music if you get what I mean and I in a way got to a higher consciousness. Also, sometimes when I hear certain things in music, I'll get a warm rushing electrical feeling through my body. It's the coolest thing ever.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
www.uk-piano.org...

Here's some information regarding the variance of the A tuning standard.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ForestSanctuary

Yes, I get that electrical feeling, too. It feels as if your soul expands. I always get that feeling with particular pieces that I find very beautiful.

Alexandros

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
TechnoFan21 very much like the Justice's Phantom and will be searching for more of their work, ahh reminds me of the days beofre the criminal justice bill here in the uk when people took to the hills with their sound systems, i still have a penchant for tribal trance ;]

www.johnsonstring.com...

Mozart, Music, and the Mind

In one study, children who received keyboard training were compared to their musically untrained peers (including computer-trained children). According to psychologist Frances Rauscher, Ph.D., and physicist Gordon Shaw, Ph.D., of the University of California at Irvine, after eight months of keyboard lessons, preschoolers showed a 46% boost in their spatial IQ, which is crucial for higher brain functions, such as mathematics. Children who received singing or computer lessons, or no lessons, did not improve significantly on spatial-recognition tasks.

Synesthesia is also interesting as some people have not lost their ability to hear music in colors, to taste voices, to see each letter of the alphabet as a different color
faculty.washington.edu...

Synesthesia is a condition in which one sense (for example, hearing) is simultaneously perceived as if by one or more additional senses such as sight. Another form of synesthesia joins objects such as letters, shapes, numbers or people's names with a sensory perception such as smell, color or flavor. The word synesthesia comes from two Greek words, syn (together) and aisthesis (perception). Therefore, synesthesia literally means "joined perception

also Aphex twin have used a spectrograph to get an image in at least one of their works
www.youtube.com...

i very rarely listen to the words of songs, if i am out anywhere and i find that music that bugs me, it overwhelms me a great deal and i have to leave, i prefer silence most of the time although that is rare in London, if i am trying to meditate i listen to alpha waves.But when i need a jolly good weep or mope i listen to the lonesome boatman uk.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
Well, I have no ear for music at all and only very few pieces or songs can actually arouse energy within me. I'm wondering why this might be. I can go to a concert and not get lost in the energy of the crowd or the vibrations of the sound. I stand there as though everyone else can hear or feel something on another level that I have no access to. I rarely would feel the urge to dance, clap or tap my feet to a beat.

Would you happen to be tone-death? People who are tone-death rarely enjoy music and say the same things you did --no urge to dance, tap feet, etc...

I heard an interesting interview on Talk of The Nation, Science Friday, where the guest was saying that the brain of tone-death individuals (4-6% of the population I think he said) react just the same to a deviation in expected music as do non-tone-death individuals.

While the brain hears the 'problem' in the song, and recognizes it, the individual has no conscious knowledge of this.

Such a wierd little critter we are.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

jakemandell.com...

Just did this test and it would seem that I do have a problem with my tones...I sort of knew that anyway I think!

Edit: Just did another test for pitch and got "Hearing Test Results
You correctly identified 19 tunes (out of 26) on the Distorted Tunes Test. Congratulations! You have a fine sense of pitch."

www.nidcd.nih.gov...

[edit on 17/6/08 by Yossarian]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'd just like to take this moment to share one of my most favorite recent songs.

\
Dear Sirs
If the pavement comes alive on Flatbush Ave with toothy smiles
Comprised of traffic cones and manholes become eyes
And birds burst into flames while singing Satan's praises
And fold into the sky and rain down ashy danger

If every office empties and all slaves walk in dazes
To a pool of liquid money where they bathe blissfully naked
And drugs no longer taunt me and flooze around my conscience
And every woman beating rapist is securely in their coffins

If every open hydrant in a Brooklyn time summer moment
Is opened up by cops and folds out into an ocean
And rent is paid by bread literally and parking isn't paid for
And food stamps can be planted and childhoods can't be damaged

If fire could power space ships that safely ship the creators
Of dynamite and gun powder to the graves of all who faced it
And the slurping nerf of beauracrat life and bean coutning slave owners
Is twisted in on itself til they shave off their own faces

If all the coke and crack in the nation is collected in a top hat
And force fed to the children of every CIA agent
And dust heads get an angel and an acres worth of rainbow
And the projects turn to clouds and the stupid aren't so proud

And the snivelling grimace mongrels of infected money slobbing pesticrats ignite
into a brilliant beam of light
And mercy is the rule
And the exception's mercy too
And the desert comes in Brooklyn and the President goes to school

Time flows in reverse
Death becomes my birth
Me fighting in your war is still, by a large margin
The least likely thing that will ever #ing happen...ever
\

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Play your electric guitar unplugged in a noisy room and you hear nothing. now put your chin or any other part of your skull on the instrument and play it again. presto you can hear. just like beethoven.

it's funny that you mention that. I always thought i was the only one who played by electric that way when i don't want to be too loud. I actually find i write cooler stuff when i do it that way.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

The wonderful, looked down upon and misunderstood world of hip-hop. Sir, you have my

I think it is worth discussion here, and I am glad you gave us a springboard to start from.

When discussing music with people, I often get to the point where I hear, "Yea, but rap music isn't real music..." Granted, I live in the lilly white rural/suburban north of New Jersey, but this still doesn't exclude one from sounding like an asshat.

It might not be your taste of music, but all music does one essential thing: It displays emotion. I would go as far as saying music is emotion; emotion expressed as the most natural extension of ourselves. Why is hip-hop looked down upon as different in this respect?

Ignorance.

Appreciate the music or not (not everything fits for everyone), but do not talk down upon something of which no knowledge is had. Most don't even have a knowledge of hip-hop as a culture, let alone understand the mindset and enviroment which cultivates it.

The example you gave, and thank you for supplying the lyrics, is perfect. It sounds raw, it sounds angry and it sounds intelligent. How is this any different then Dylan or The Who?

Hip-hop has have alot to say; alot to express. It is, in my opinion, one of the most important and most pushed aside form of self/social expression since the 60s.

[edit on 6/17/0808 by spines]

[edit on 6/17/0808 by spines]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

Agreed and well said. Had you heard the song before? If not you should really check out El-p's other work, he is a true artist and visionary. I think what gets a lot of people about Hip-hop is the glamorized ching-a-bling idiocy that gets played on the radio here in the states. I think that type of music is actually symptomatic of the corruption so apparent in our society. But people who are true music aficionados will know that every type of music has its good and bad, you must simply discard the bad and accept the good; just as in all facets of life.

Here are a few more high-level hip-hops songs for anyone who is interested:

"You're a player but only because you be playin yourself"
-Jeru the Damaja

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I found this -
www.youtube.com...

UT - 396 Hz -associated with releasing emotional patterns after: see RE-417Hz below.

RE - 417 Hz -associated with breaking up crystallized emotional patterns

MI - 528 Hz - relates to crown chakra; Dr. Puleo suggests an association with "DNA integrity" Transformation and Miracles

FA - 639 Hz - associated with whole brain quadrant interconnectedness. Connecting Relationships

SOL - 741 Hz - associated with intuitive states, non linear knowing. Awakening Intuition

LA - 852 Hz - associated with a pure love frequency: unconditional love and returning to Spiritual Order

Not sure if this is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo but I thought Id post this for your pleasure/scrutiny.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by 3rdWorldWar]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
great thread, ya know i often consider these things likehertz!!isnt 20 the lowest a human can hear? but you sure can feel it(w/enough decibals)but i have no dought that music and notes effect mood and physical stuff

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Trance music is the most spiritual music on this planet. Why do you think the main stream does not embrace it, the Illuminati don't want you listening to trance and awakening to the true nature of reality.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TechnoFan21

hate to burst your bubble, but you're on the right track, but you're not. music can and does have physiological effects on most people. our nervous systems are sympathetic. they've found that while listening to loud music, our heart rates tend to re-pace themselves to the beat per minute or a fraction thereof. That's why most music ends up being the same beats per minute, and how some others are relaxing, which are often slower, and some that really get a person going (techno can be a good example in some instances) are slightly above this midline, but not so much that the body kicks into pacing off a fraction of the beat.

this littl ething alone can have incredible effects on a person, and depending on their level of sensitivity to such things, can easily be recreated with a simple set of headphones and a dark room.

some things to watch out for is a lot of the crackpot scams that make a lot of people go into convolouted garbage about how the singing of crickets make universes spin backwards if you're in the key of F major alien. The biggest crock of crap is the quickly dying out and dismissed notion abou tmiddle c being 433 hz or some such garbage

threes studies all over the place and every one of them says something different. but i will easily say, the timbre of sound makes a lot of difference, so does the key. is music a buried universal second language? sort of but not really. you go to other countries where the (folk) music is based on different scale patterns all together (asian & indian music is a great example) it has a different feel and tone and all that, but can evoke the same response to those that grew up on it.

you might be on the right track, but look at the bigger world first.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join