It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Metaphysics of Music

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Uncle, can you please find it in your heart to scatter a few minor perls on this subject with this humble swine?

Umm, humble swine.....surely you jest (I'm not kidding and quit calling me Shirley). Not sure what help I can be but I'll be glad to add what I can. What specifically are you refering to?

Regarding the transcendental nature of music, I don't know enough to say for sure what science could be behind it (possibly rhythms syncing to brain waves...) but I know I've experienced those moments both creating and listening to music where you lose yourself. I suppose much of it is that our focus is elsewhere.

One thing is that when you get 'under the hood' you notice some interesting things. I've done voice analysis and found that a person's voice often has base notes and overtones mathematically related. Pleasing tones are often related, for instance a base frequency of 100 hertz might have overtones of 200, 400 (which as mentioned before would be octaves of the same note) but also 300 and 500 hertz might be present and we percieve that as pleasant because there is an eveness to the tone. Take that same 100 hertz and add, say, 223 and 373 hertz and the tone might be less pleasant. This is kind of a generalization but it is interesting.

Violin bows...yeah, they're a little hard to make sound good. Except on violins with skilled players

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TechnoFan21

I hope you are familiar with the other threads about music on ATS. One is called "Musical mysteries", the name of the other one I cannot remember (even though I started it myself
).

I think you will find a great deal of fantastically interesting material there, and you can bring it up for discussion again here.

Oh, and how could Beethoven compose being deaf?

How could he NOT?
After all, the music he wrote wasn't coming from "outside" (certainly not physically).
If he had been born deaf, that would be a different thing.
But he wasn't, of course.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Thanks, I'll check that out.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I have read, that the tunes are discovered not written.

Indeed.
(And Mozart or Astor Piazzolla, among other people, were aware of that.)

But that is true of ALL creative endeavour.

Michelangelo "setting free" (his words, not mine) the statues that were "latent" (my words, not his) in each piece of marble is just one example.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya432

That's a really good thread you wrote, and has a little bit of what else I was going to talk about.

First of all, there is a really good website called music.download.com.
It has a lot of free downloads from artists that want to get themselves noticed, and their baroque section is overflowing.

Also, there are various other musical genres there that you might be interested in.

Here's a link to the baroque page, and the site is very easy to navigate.

music.download.com...

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Music can also control or regulate how your brain processes information. most notably the rhythmic part of music.

This is what can sometimes get me into IDM music. IDM music is a very odd music, and it almost sounds like just random electronic noises; but down at its core, it is composed just like every other style of music.

Like the song, Chartnok, By Mouse On Mars is a great example of the IDM genre.

music.download.com...

But what I was really going to talk about here next was the operating frequency of the human mind.

The operating frequencies of the mind is from 3-20 hertz I think, and it is possible that the government is using those frequencies to tap into minds of many people, and make them commit crimes, say things that they don't want to, etc.

Here is a very good page with a diagram that describes this.

www.mindcontrolforums.com...

Now, hertz combinations that are in your mind make your mind tick. But this also raises the possibility that music, when composed, is being broadcasted in your head, before you compose it. This would explain the phenomena when a composer hears the music before he writes it. A "discovery" as I heard Cyberbrain explain.

But, if music can be broadcasted through the mind, if someone had a microphone around in a soundproof room, would you be able to hear those notes, those ELF frequencies? If that is so then music is our operating frequency. I am willing to bet also that for music frequencies for many are different, depending on mood, emotion, and personality. This frequency for music is also the same vibration patterns in every human being that I have been hearing Caitlin and Argentus talking about. This vibration pattern is developed, by what kind of frequencies that you get used to as a child. As a child, I grew up with listening to Classical, Jazz, the band Cusco, and Michael W. Smith. So, my music palette is pretty large compared to some other people who grew up listening to just rock, or just classical music. Then, later in life, they find that they don't really like any other kind of music.

So, with all of that frequency of the mind stuff, what would recorded mind frequencies sound like? Would they be so fast that you can't possibly slow them down, even with all of our advanced technology? Are they constantly oscillating, repeating songs? Maybe repeating songs is why we get songs stuck in our head. Or maybe the music of the mind conveys what emotions you are feeling. If that is true then maybe one could use microphones to discover what you are feeling without empathy.

Also, emotional songs, like how AcidTastic described, will make you feel the emotion that you are describing. Yes, I did say earlier that the human mind takes music and processes it into emotion, but what that part of the brain does even more in depth is that it conforms our brain's frequency patterns into the songs. If the brain does not agree with the pattern, then it does not conform, and the listener does not like the song.

That's all I have for now. Thank you all for the support of this thread!

TechnoFan21

[edit on 16-6-2008 by TechnoFan21]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
good thread!
been waiting for this one.

get this.

If you tune to 432hz then the numbers of the notes lines up to all kinds of sacred monuments. its how music should be played. 440 is the standard but Mozart played in 432 and the Stradivarius was 432 tuned. attempts to change the standard have failed IMO because the pop music propaganda industry depends on having a higher tune.......................... 1. Harmonically aligns to astronomical time count of Precession of the equinoxes, 432 X 60 = 25920............................................. 2. The original Stradivarius violin was designed to be tuned to 432, it is the most precise instrument ever constructed by humans........................... 3. 432 is found at countless ancient sacred sites Furia's virtual tour of sacred sites along with such key locations as the Great Pyramid in Egypt, 432 is found at the largest Buddhist temple in the world The borobudur - At the Borobudur the amount of statues at "The temple of countless Buddhas" is 432........................... D = 288 diameter of the outer circle of Stonehenge, 144 Gematrian for light (also Bible) 72 one degree of precession. Pythagorean ratio 4/3 which also represents the Chephren Pyramids apex angle tangent. (also a ratio between 2 Gematrian systems).............................. Concert pitch is usually the frequency assigned to note 'A' and is usually 440hz. If you drop this tuning to 432hz it can have a very nice effect, as it seems more resonant some how. (the sound carriers further and the sound is 'bigger'). .............................................................. Another handy thing about tuning to 432hz is, and let me use computer music as a comparison. If you tune to 440hz, then each note is a division of this number and you get 18.666666 recurring. Your computer cannot generate these tones ! By using 432, not only do you get an exact tone and harmonics, you can also set the tempo of your music to the wavelengths of the tone and get even more aspects of the composition 'in harmony'. At 432 the note 'D' resonates at 144000 times per second, so tempos of 36, 72, 108, 144 etc are in tune with the notes ! But as D and A are also in tune with one another, those tempos will also work for all tunes. ............................................................................. Another harmony that occurs when you tune to 432hz is that all the digits of each note always add to 9. 4+3+2. The note D becomes 144hz 1+4+4 etc. When i tune to 432hz, as long as the other parameters i am using, temp, speed of effects etc add up to 9, i know it will always sound well balanced. ................................................................................ 1 mile = 186322223.74145 hz ......................... 1hz =186282.4 miles .............................. speed of light 186000 miles/second ................................ 432hz= 431.21 miles ................................... 432000 seconds in every 12hour period .............................. radius of the sun is 432000 miles. ............................ 3600 seconds in one hour ( completing the 360 degrees cycle/pulse/frequency) ................................ 86400 seconds in one day (864, one octave higher that 432) ................................... The distance from the center of the earth to the average height of the atmosphere. This value is given as 4320 arc-minutes, which harmonically can be reduce down to 432 the fundamental vibration for the sixth node in the octave .................................... .................................

cont.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Being a music composer myself, I find this thread very interesting. I don't have much time so I will only share for now what the Urantia book has to say on music (from a metaphysical point of view). Apparently, it gives great importance on harmonics...

Paper 44.1 - Celestial Musicians

Alexandros

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
CONT.

..... Colour: Red 780-640 nm .. Orange 640-595 nm .. Yellow 595-570 nm .. Green 570-500 nm .. Blue 500-450 nm .. Violet 450-380 nm .............................................. in frequencies (Hz) this is Red 3,85E+14 4,69E+14 .. Orange 4,69E+14 5,04E+14 .. Yellow 5,04E+14 5,26E+14 .. Green 5,26E+14 6,00E+14 .. Blue 6,00E+14 6,67E+14 .. Violet 6,67E+14 7,89E+14 ........................................................................ Once they are brought down by octaves we get:

2^41 6,333E+14 474 - -Blue............................. ....D 288.....
2^41 7,125E+14 421 - -Indigo........................... ....E 324.....
2^41 7,504E+14 400 - -Violet............................ ....F 341.....
2^40 4,222E+14 711 - -Red.............................. ....G 384.....
2^40 4,750E+14 632 - -Orange......................... ....A 432.....
2^40 5,344E+14 561 - -Yellow.......................... ....B 486.....
2^40 5,629E+14 533 - -Green........................... ....C 512...

Our universe is made up of harmonics and sound waves and these waves all resonate together in a Grand Cosmic resonance......... this "resonance is .. " 432 " It is the over all resonant frequency from which ALL LIFE evolves. It is literally the Tone of Life. The Ancient Mayan..s called it the Sound of Creation......... 432 is the only frequency that has not been used in the main stream in the last 300 years......... for some reason, it was forgotten and or purposely removed from society.
I believe it is VERY IMPORTANT to spread the message of 432 and to get as many entertainment people aware of and using this tuning...... I know it sounds like mumbo jumbo, but in fact there is considerable amount of serious research being done in this area........ just google 432hz and you too can begin to unlock an ancient secret........ This may/hopefully become a full blown Music Revolution. our world is um........ a little crazy lately I believe this will be a major contribution to our fragile world........... Peace to you all - Music is Magic.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by JOINTHERESISTANCE]

[edit on 16-6-2008 by JOINTHERESISTANCE]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JOINTHERESISTANCE

Thank you for your contributions to the thread!

Also, thank you Alexander1111 for your contributions also.

JTR, you might want to check out this thread that Maya432 made. It talks about the exact same thing that you were mentioning.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The foundation of Music was laid down about 2,500 years ago by a man named Pythagoras. He defined the octave relationship among other musical qualities as they relate to mathematics.

Pythagoras believed that reality was based in mathematics, the earth was a sphere, and created entire philosophies centered around mathematics. He is a very interesting study, he was probably the first true mathematician.

Since music is based in vibrating frequencies, it can also be viewed as mathematics coming alive, and stepping from theoretical into the physical world.

When we look at architecture and see pleasing curves and constructions, the math contained within the works registers within us. We see porportional sides, ratios of curves, and proper mathematical relationships. It is the same with music, we hear correct mathematical relationships within frequencies and arrangements, this registers within us and we cane become enraptured and lost within the musical composition.

I often wondered when i read in the bible or other text that God spoke the universe into being, that it was a certain frequency or arrangement that tickled matter into organizing itself.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechnoFan21
reply to post by JOINTHERESISTANCE

Thank you for your contributions to the thread!

Also, thank you Alexander1111 for your contributions also.

JTR, you might want to check out this thread that Maya432 made. It talks about the exact same thing that you were mentioning.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes thank you! thanks where i been i remember reading this from, i saved it months ago and have been spreading the word about 42hz, i believe the more people know the better!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hallberg Rassy

Hmm, your allusion to Architecture reminds me of something that I read in Seed magazine. Seed magazine is a magazine dedicated to science and the role that design is having in science.

The main article in there was a talk between Paola Antionelli and Klein Mandelbrot. It was a very interesting article, and one thing that I pulled out of there was the Fractal property of Architecture. That property is like this. You see a church steeple in the distance. You are drawn nearer to the building, it brings you in. When you see more of the church, it's the same kind of architecture style as the steeple, and the finer details still are reminiscent of the steeple. This is the exact same thing as Fractals. The bigger image brings you in, makes you look at the finer details of the the big picture, and when you get to the finer details, it's exactly the same thing as the big fractal.

So, would this relationship have something to do with music if architecture is involved? I would say so.

You get pulled into a song by hearing the first notes, and when you get more into the song, it's more of the same stuff, just in finer detail.

This would also put in the connection between art and mathematics, which in the center is architecture, then fractals, and most importantly, music.

Also, your mentioning of the universe being made by music is also a very possible thing. When I was hearing about how the HAARP project could use hertzian waves to make earthquakes, I knew right then that hertz frequencies were a part of the universe, a basic building block that makes everything possible.

EDIT: More Content

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Wondeful thread! Youre hitting this really well, I would love to induldge into the different realms of absorbing musical hertz and wavelengths! Star

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Morning all....

This has mushroomed overnight, and I'm sturggling to take in all this new information...thank you so much! I'm really intrigued about the voice frequency thing tho...since I do meditation, it must be important.

Caitlin

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
My, less than metaphysical, two cents:

First off, great post.

I love music. I have enough of it, that if I were to hit play at the first song, I would, over a year later, get to the last one. Needless to say, it runs a wide gamut.

I also make music. I play bass primarily (and it is my love), but I have, in the last few years, began to try my hand at purley digital music.

The beat, the melody, the tone...every aspect of the song must be created from scratch. I have often wondered where the hell it is that all this music comes from. How does something like a song, get into my head anyway?

(I am sure it is not uncommon, but I hear the parts before I ever touch a fret or key. Most times I hear the entire song before I am even sitting down to work on it)

The real issue, for me, is my dreams. Where do all these songs in my dreams come from? Do they come from the same 'place' that my other, real-life, songs come from?

Even more perplexing (frustrating?): I am terrible at writing lyrics; I just can't make it work. Yet the lyrics in my dreams (which I can never remember in full), are always damn good...

...or maybe the dream me is much less discerning about the lyrics I listen to.

[edit on 6/16/0808 by spines]

[edit on 6/16/0808 by spines]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
would love to hear some of your stuff spines

music from within is the best. see if you can change some of your stuff to the 432hz range,see if you can notice the difference.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I understand that my style isn't a very popular one, but it's me.

Check it out.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Wow, great posts Jointheresistance! I was well aware of the different tuning standards of the past as well as some of the ties to color, etc. but your posts added a lot more to it. Thanks.

Regarding the voice thing. My feeling is that we have individual frequencies that resonate in our bodies and the obvious outlet for that is the voice. Ever notice that most tall people have deeper voices? Of course, there are a lot of factors affecting this but as we speak we produce overtones much like a bigger guitar body would produce deeper frequencies. If you analyze those freqs. you can sort of get an idea of where a person's resonant freqs. would be. I believe knowing this would aid in things like meditation and healing as it could serve to 'reharmonize' the body.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hello again Uncle and everyone...still havent read all of this and taken it in properly, but there is a strange synchronicity here...I was looking at a site last week that teaches sound therapy, and I really want to learn how to do that. I just wondering if there is anyway I can make my meditations more effective using my voice. How would we use the idea of voice resonance in healing or helping people to shift state in meditation? I'm bewildered but very curious.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
A baby will be lulled to sleep by deep humming, actually not even humming but low chest murmurs. Babies with fever, colic, etc will settle and drift off when deep low frequency is present. It is probably related somehow to noises as heard thru embrionic Fluid when in the Womb, they may feel back in their element.
Hold a baby held so its head rests on your chest / lower throat and gently hit those low notes...see what the baby does. Most will hold tight and stop moving so they can feel the vibration resonate over their whole body.

As we grow older Music takes up where mom and dad left off. Rythmic Beats, especially African / Asian / Latin are highly complex and used to induce trance and out of body experiences. There are wonderfull Brazilian sambas that can turn the absolute worst day into a celebration.

Sounds can Heal, as in the case of Lithotripsy which uses sound waves to destroy kidney stones. This is raw scientific proof that vibrations and sound have measurable effect on our health. We should keep in mind that what can heal, can hurt as well. The military has sonic cannons it is experimenting with as well. These are very much like lasers using focused light, sound cannons use focused sound waves to destroy.

A particular song will immediately take you back to a particular event or person. That sound has been associated in your brain with a point in time. Hearing it will bring back that memory as if it happened yesterday.

As far as sounds being able to heal, we have physical proof of this in many forms and anecdotes ( music soothes the beast) in our collective cultures.

It would be a matter of matching frequencies, rythms and arrangements with effects

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join