It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Weren't Designed To Eat Meat, Here Is Proof

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danger Girl
The reason that most people have approximately ten pounds of putrid, undigested, red meat in their guts

I was not going to respond until I saw that false statement. That is an old wives tale, no doubt fabricated by someone trying to force their lifestyle upon others through the use of lies. Ask any abdominal surgeon. I have.

I believe that lie was most likely propagated by those profiting from High Colonic's. These confidence persons need a way to convince people a worthless procedure is necessary and what better way than to convince you that you have something disgusting in your Colon. Well, actually you do, but only just prior to defecation. The rest of the time you have a nice clean bowel.

The fact that we are Omnivores is proved by observing our closest ancestors; the Great Apes. All of which, eat meat when available. In fact Bonobo's have been observed engaging in Cannibalism.

Your point about not salivating at the site of prey is an extremely fallacious argument. Due to our modern lifestyle we have been removed from the act of obtaining food. Were that not true, I assure you that even you would salivate at the prospect of a food source high in protein and food value. It is in fact our current culture and diet that is unnatural; not the other way around.

Grain is not however a truly natural part of our diet. Were you to attempt to subsist on raw grain, your teeth would be worn flat and useless at a very young age. We also don't metabolize the overabundance of carbohydrates in grains. Obesity in our society is not from eating meat, but from eating to many carb's in the form of bread, pasta and other grain products.

Animal protein is such an important part of our worlds diet, that if you were to remove it today; it would not be unreasonable to expect hundred of millions, if not billions to starve the first year.

Being raised around Farms and Ranches and having hunted and fished all my life; I'm far closer to having a natural response than someone who has never collected their own food. I assure you I do salivate. You don't because you probably live in a shell, insulated from the real source of your food. It is that lifestyle which is unnatural, not the other way around.

Wild Game is incredibly nutritious and in fact counters all the arguments against eating meat. When I sit down to a meal of Moose or Elk, I am not eating any of the bad fat's because this meat contains none. Likewise for Buffalo which I also enjoy. Salmon and other cold water fishes are also an incredible source of nutrition that is natural for us to eat.

We evolved as hunter-gatherers. That is still at the core of our physiology I believe. Grains and sugars and other unnatural additions came as a result of adding farming to our cultures. It is little wonder than we have not evolved to fully tolerate these sugars in the mere 10,000 years since we added them to our diets. You should be far more concerned about these sugars you are eating to substitute for the calories you are not getting from your natural diet that should include meat and fish.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Our gray matter kept getting bigger, and needed energy to develop. Do we, or do we not, have the largest brain mass, in relation to our body mass, than any other species on Earth?

We dont' actually, termites of certain species have far larger brains than us in relation to their body size. Sorry it's a common myth that we have the biggest brains in relation to our bodies

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmanuva

Okay, no problem and no offence intended.

I like you know quite a lot more than the average person about nutrition/diet when it comes to medical matters and survival.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

If this society breaks down, you will either eat whatever you can to survive, or die. Simple fact.

Yes, that is what I agree with. BUT, nowadays, we are NOT discussing what might some time happen to us. We are discussing these days' situation and our behavior in these days. IMO, eating meat is ONLY spiritually allowable, if there is no other food.

*sings* It's the ciiiiicle of liiiiiiiife!

That is one of thouands of misinformation that pseudo-sciencists with media support are brainwashing us.

If it's a circle of life and it's okay to kill when you really don't have to, would you surely not mind go to the country, kill some pig or chicken causing it miserable pain, and then eat it, while you have PLENTY other possibilities to feed yourself and not kill any animal.
There is something, in most people, that fights against such a behaviour and you have to overcome it. Like soldiers have to overcome it when they are told to shoot at the enemy the first time.
I will always believem that killing is always wrong! And no media/"scientist" can brainwash that knowledge from me!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Oh, OK.....termites. OK, now I bow down to my termite masters!!

I'm not much of a taxologist (sp?)....but if we just stick to mammals, then we can at least discuss this on the same page. Hey! I'll even let you throw in Marsupials, just for fun. At least they're warm-blooded.

I'm here to learn, and deny ignorance.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danger Girl

Originally posted by slackerwire
Uh, humans have canine teeth why then?

Humans are omnivores.

No sharp pointed front teeth. I believe the two canines teeth are a futile attempt of our bodies to adapt to what we and our forefathers have stuffed in our mouth.

:I believe : those are the central words here.

Our body is still atttempting to digest celluloise, and is not succeeding. That doesn't say that I don't love those fibers, but it is a fact we don't digest it, like the panda's found out too.

People are adjusted to eat anything, you and I know that, we have the teeth to cut and grind, but you know what: We can CHOOSE to eat what we want and suffer the consequences, it is so great to be human.
Choosing, who came up with that, it is so cool. I choose to be healthy and vary all the strange fruits of nature, but that just my opinion. There are a lot of people on ATS telling each other we are this or that or should be this or that. And then they come up with all these facts that support there ideas and in the end they say: "I believe". Ok that's cool.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Disney

If that is the case, as i have already stated earlier - Take this thread to another section. This section is about SURVIVAL and nothing else.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicstorm

why all this negativity towards someone who doesnt eat meat? where is the problem?

I'm not trying to be negative, most of my posts have been directed at the OP, who's line of thinking is severely flawed. My best friend is, in fact, a vegan. She's a more down-to earth chicka, and she's always letting me try her food, tofu stuff, and fake ribs, etc. Most of it doesnt taste half bad. I don't have issues with vegans who take the time out to actually understand the point, and take time out to research what ingredients do help with minerals, vitamins, etc. She has taken no supplements, and she seems to be doing OK. She doesnt, however, force me to be a vegan. She just tries to enlighten me on the benefits of it

Not all vegans are bad, m'kay! Not all of us who eat meat on occasion are complete gun-shooting jerks either.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

You do look thin. In a survival situation, that isn't healthy.

That is IMO a very silly argument against veg*ns.. I mean - are we ANIMALS, fighting for a life and food on a daily basis?! Doing supplies for winter time?
Or are we human beings, well developed, who have regular and reliable source of a great variety of food? How likely is it, that we will have absolutely no food supply for several days?

Then the poster shouldnt put this kind of thread in the SURVIVALISTS section of this forum

- I agree.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

God gave us teeth to suck bone.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Disney

Likely? Not very. However i eat meat because i think it provides part of a varied diet and gives optimal nutrition. Take a look back at some of the things i and others have mentioned about meat. Creatine being a big part of it, and if you're weight training then being a vegetarian is very, if not impossibly difficult to achieve muscle growth with. If you have an extremely active lifestyle involving heavy activity then again, vegetarianism isn't going to work for you.

I'm sure marathon runners can live on a vegan diet, but that's a whole different kind of exercise. I know during martial arts when some people have gone vegan they saw a rapid loss in energy levels, even though they were well versed on healthy eating, had a wide range of proteins and mineral supplying foods. Their bodies however needed more so they had to use supplements when undergoing heavy training.

Morally wrong to kill animals? I don't think it's worng at all if it's for food.

Edit becuase of horrible spelling errors.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnOldFriend
reply to post by jfj123

I certainly agree and will and always have eaten meat. I am just saying that some peoples make up allows for less of certain things and more of certain things. So therefore some people might be able to eat only veggies and the like and be just as comfortable and able as a person who eats both veggies and meat.

Only under certain medical circumstances would that apply.
We need lean meat in our diets to achieve a healthy body.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Sorry dangergirl but thats asinine.

We have these things in our mouth called bi cuspids. they are a hybrid of the flat teeth that plant eating animals have and the duel pointed scissor like teeth that carnivores have to cut meet. Wanna know why. cause we evolved over time to eat both.

wanna take a guess at what a lot of scientists think created or largely aided in the evolution of our large brains... protein. lots and lots of protein. wanna figure out where we got lots and lots of protein from?

Also those things in the front of your jaw are called incisors. used to make incisions in things. we have canine teeth to grab and hold flesh so that we can tear it off the animal. geeze get a clue.

Know what else doesn't sweat from a million billion pores over their body and eat lots and lots of animals....sharks.

We have binocular vision. helps us judge distance so that we can climb through trees back in the day, or does it help us be better predators since most prey animals have poor binocular vision and rely mostly on periphrial vision to keep an eye out for predators trying to eat them.

my tummy juice digests meat just fine, often times in only a few hours. not really enough time for the meat (protein) to rot in my intestines.

ugggghhh... and also lots of predatory animals have no claws. apes don't have claws and it's not because of their preference for meat or plants. chimps eat monkeys as a primary food source. apes have nails instead of claws because they are larger than monkeys and when climbing trees can't use one branch to support their weight so they redistribute their weight amongst a bunch of branches. claws get in the way of wrapping your hand around a modest sized branch, which you'll need to be climbing on if you want to reliably get fresh fruit found at the top of the trees. but low and behold these crazy apes still can and do happily eat meat whenever they can. go figure, no claws.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Somebody else made a comment on the first page which is actually an excellent piece of evidence against this "no meat" theory.

They asked, simply, "If we aren't meant to eat it, then why does it taste so good?"

Our sense of taste has evolved (or, was given to us, if you are a creationist) to be capable of telling us what is food and what is not food. That is this sense's sole purpose. Sure, it can be fooled by certain specific things, but not by anything as broad as "all meat."

I'm not sure what the OP was getting at with the "not salivating" statement. Put a rare-cooked steak in front of me and you might drown in my drool as I run over you to get to it faster.

The reason we don't salivate over still living animals is because we evolved very differently from other omnivores; we evolved to consume meat which we have prepared by cooking. A dog is not smart enough to figure out that it doesn't get worms if it cooks its meal first. People are that smart, and once they realized this, we began down an evolutionary path that took us far away from the days when still living animals or raw meat made us salivate.

We do not have teeth the same as an herbivore either. Ever look in a cows mouth? They have all-flat teeth for grinding vegetables. Other posters have given descriptions of our teeth and how they work for both meat and vegetables, but the OP only responded with "nuh-uh," so I'm just not going to go there.

We lack claws and the teeth needed to kill things because we have the intelligence to create tools that do these jobs for us. Evolving humans who may have had longer canines, for example, would have found no use for them when they held a 5 foot long spear in their hand. The trait would have been useless, and therefor unlikely to be preserved.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
How about looking into somebody who is only a MEAT EATER

My friend Bear only eats meat!

Read it and think...Bear is a wise old man whom has called it many times before.
Diet and health
Owsley believes that the natural human diet is a totally carnivorous one, thus making it a zero-carb diet, and that all vegetables are toxic.[1]. He claims to have eaten almost nothing but meat, eggs, butter and cheese since 1959 and that he believes his body has not aged as much as the bodies of those who eat a more "normal" diet. He is convinced that insulin, released by the pancreas when carbohydrates are ingested, is the cause of much damage to human tissue and that diabetes mellitus is caused by the ingestion of carbohydrates.

Owsley received radiation therapy in 2004 for throat cancer (a squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil) which he first attributed to passive exposure to cigarette smoke at concerts,[2] but which he later discovered was almost certainly caused by the infection of his tonsil with HPV. He credits his low carb diet with starving the tumor of glucose ---slowing its growth and preventing its spread enough that it could be successfully treated despite its advanced state at diagnosis.

Quoteen.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 15-6-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

"You're directly supporting killing of animals. (If you would have to kill every animal you eat meat from with your very hands, I am not sure you would eat as much meat as you do... if you would at all. "

Honestly, it wouldn't really bother me. I have not hunted yet, but I want to learn how to do so, for that very reason, the satisfaction of hunting, killing and then eating what I killed.

Native Americans killed wild game and were a people very in touch with spirituality. They killed what they needed and used as much of the animal as they could.

"Guys, honestly... In a lifetime, the average meat eater will consume 36 pigs, 36 sheep and 750 chickens and turkeys. Do you want that much carnage on your conscience?"

I don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't want to kill animals for sport, but if I killed that many and ate them, I would not have a problem with it.

What about cheetas, lions, alligators, falcons, sharks? They kill hundreds of their fellow animals in their lifetimes, too. They often go after the young and defenseless!

It amuses me when people try to tell me that people and animals are all on the same level, yet get angry when people do things that other animals do (such as killing and eating other animals)

Plants are alive, as well. Something has to die in order for life to continue.

[edit on 6/15/2008 by madhatter3113]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Very well said post. Good job

Factual posts such as yours are my favorite to read

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
"Guys, honestly... In a lifetime, the average meat eater will consume 36 pigs, 36 sheep and 750 chickens and turkeys."

Really? Kick Ass!!!!!!

Although I was hoping it was way more than that. Also any stats on as to how many cows we eat in a life time. that would be cool to know.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR

"Guys, honestly... In a lifetime, the average meat eater will consume 36 pigs, 36 sheep and 750 chickens and turkeys."

Really? Kick Ass!!!!!!

Although I was hoping it was way more than that. Also any stats on as to how many cows we eat in a life time. that would be cool to know.

Yeah what about cows ???? I wanna know if I need to eat more to bring up the average

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Humans are absolutely OMNIVORES,

Our physical features and our lineage clearly point to such a past.

Our teeth represent all of the basic forms required to process the wide variety of foods we eat.
Our molars are well developed to crush and break up plant matter, while our canines and incisors will cut through most meats with ease.

Our binoucular vision is a predator/insectavore adaptation, that goes back in our line almost back to the time of the dinosaurs. A time when our most remote primate ancestors, were small carnivorous rodent like animals.

We have a hard time digesting cellulitic materials, they will pass through us mostly undigested. While our gut will hold on to protiens and fats.

Another clue to our carnivorous roots is that there are at least 3 maybe 4, essential amino acids our bodies need, that can only be found in animal proteins.

If you look at the most primative human societies, and there are still a few, they are all meat eaters and north of a certain latitude, they are almost exclusivly meateaters.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join