It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wildtangent, and how do i get rid of it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
so i was running ad-aware earlier and this wildtangent thing came up. i guess it comes with the new version of aim, from my lookings online. also, the sites i found tell me to remove it using the add/remove programs thing. well no #, eh? well my problem is that it doesn't appear in there and also i cannot find it ANYWHERE on my harddrive. so what should/could i do to get rid of it? someone please help! (i just reformatted my computer last week due to ad/spyware slowing it down and i do not want to go down that road again!)

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Spybot S&D can get rid of WildTangent.

Did you install any of those dancing ladies thingies for Winamp? That's usually where WildTangent infestations come from.

Also, here are detailed manual removal instructions, but you'll have to mess with your registry.

-B.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
i don't even have winamp. it came with AIM 5.5, i guess.

ad-aware removed it as well, but it still shows up in my control panel and it loads into the manager for that. i thought i had it entirely removed, but i don't understand why that still works.

also, i followed those manual removal instructions and those values were not there. also, when searching for the listed files nothing would show up.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Hrrrmmm.
Maybe Ad-Aware couldn't remove every file it dropped on your system?
I use both Ad-Aware and Spybot ... both catch things the other misses. Maybe in your case Spybot would be able to get any bits that are still there.

-B.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
here are the steps on removing it manually...

www.pestpatrol.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
alright... you can get rid of the wildtangent icon in control panel by...

going into "c:\windows(or winnt)\system32" and deleting "wtcpl.cpl"

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by echelon]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
thanks to the both of you. i greatly appreciate the help.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is the best advise I can give you for handling WildTangent. It actually comes from an individual far wiser than myself who calls himself simply, "Bubs".

Action of Wisdom

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hey guys,

Here is a Wildtangent manual and automated removal instructions from PCHell.

Best of luck

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i dont use windows anymore but what i used to do when it came to the daily windows maintenance was boot into safe mode so only the bare basics were loaded on start up. then run my anti-spyware/virus apps so that way anything that was found could easily be removed. some adware/spyware or whatever-ware will keep themselves loaded in memory and are able to respawn themselves through registry entries that they make when first entering your system. windows wont let you remove it as long as its still in memory, hence the booting into safe-mode. additionally, when in safe mode, all those apps can scan your system faster since all those uneeded background servies are'nt running.

top topics

join