It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"We'll bring a gun..." -Another Example of Obama's Poor Leadership

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
If Limbaugh would have said about Obama's attacks, "If they want a knife fight, we'll bring a noose" he would have all been excoriated in the msm and the dems would have passed resolutions asking for him to resign. But when Obama says "we'll bring a gun" he gets a free pass.

Why?

I did not give him a free pass. The very first thing I said in this lovely discussion was that he could have chosen better words. Here, I will quote what I said.

Originally posted by Hal9000
Well I would agree that the statement was a poor choice of words, I don't think it is any indication that he would make a poor leader. I can fully understand what he means given the political atmosphere in Washington and Congress.

I still stand by that statement.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Its pretty obvious by now there is no issue in this or any of the other smear attacks against Obama other than the attacks themselves.

In short they are pointless and a distraction.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

I was in favor of John Edwards or Bill Richardson but since we have Obama (whom I am not exactly thrilled with) I will object when I see mean and hateful attacks directed at him as a distraction from the real issues.

Maybe liberals are just waaaay more sensitive than the rest of us. I didn't realize criticizing Obama for displaying poor leadership was "mean and hateful."

At the same time if Obama had said if they bring a knife to the fight we'll bend over and spread our cheeks and take it like John Kerry... you would be attacking him for that.

It's childish, its idiotic and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I would suggest that your misguided example is by far more childish than anything I've ever posted.

WE NEED TO BE DISCUSSING THE ISSUES... WHAT'S FACING US OVER THE NEXT FEW YEARS IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT!!!

The issue is whether Obama provides congruent leadership, and whether what he claims to stand for means anything. He could promise to deliver on many issues but if his promises don't reflect who he really is, the promises are worthless.

I work in a neighborhood that's about 95% black, and every DAY there are shootings. A couple of weeks ago a 10-year old boy got shot in the face in a drive-by at 6:00 pm. He was working helping out in a store. Last night 3 kids got shot, one killed and one was paralyzed.

Stopping black crime in my neighborhood IS an issue for me. Obama's use of the "we'll bring a gun" metaphor isn't going to help solve this issue. Worse, he's become a role model and phenomenon with the kids in this neighborhood.

When these kids hear their hero say "we'll bring a gun" you have no idea of the impact. To them, he's validating their way of life.

You can try to blow it off or dismiss it all you want. I walked on the sidewalks over the blood stains every so often. You probably don't work in the inner city so you're totally out of touch with the reality of this problem.

I don't mean this in an insulting way at all. it's just that if you don't live in this environment I can understand why you wouldn't "get" what I'm talking about.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I agree. In fact I believe this thread to be one of the very attacks Obama was referring to in the article.

That’s exactly what Barack Obama said he would do to counter Republican attacks “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said at a Philadelphia fundraiser Friday night.

Source

Bold emphasis added.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I am speaking of the attacks on here in general.

The issues are health care... the economy... the war in Iraq... social security stuff like that.

This is a distraction... you don't give a rats ass about inner city kids.... the whole import of this thread is an attack piece.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

If you can't see the man was speaking metaphorically, then you really have no business discussing anything on this board...

Having a meaningful discussion on any subject here requires a particular level of intellect....

If you didn't get the metaphor and honestly think there will be some sort of black uprising, you'd be wrong...And you don't have the required level of intellect to have a reasonable discussion on this board...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
Obama's comment was inappropriate but his followers will never admit that he is anything less than perfect. Our society has too much violence as it is and for him to use this type of description shows how inexperienced and naive he really is.

I'm hoping that prior to the Nov. election someone finds an antidote to the love spell Obama seems to have put on some of the American public!

Jemison

ho hum, yawn, 2000, 2004, heard it, been there, LET'S GET THE FEAR GOING OUT THERE!!!!!! ........could you try and be more original, your just boring now

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I agree. In fact I believe this thread to be one of the very attacks Obama was referring to in the article.

Dude, I'm not a Republican, and raising questions about Obama's leadership is not an "attack."

Pointing out the inconsistency in pledging to rid our cities of the "cycle of violence" and then saying "if they bring a knife we'll bring a gun" is not an attack, it's an observation.

The only way this thread is an example of anything is how the Obama supporters respond in lock-step to a valid criticism of Obama by attacking the messenger.

That's status quo, not change.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

The issues are health care... the economy... the war in Iraq... social security stuff like that.

Those are your issues. Feel free to start as many threads as you like to discuss them.

This is a distraction... you don't give a rats ass about inner city kids.... the whole import of this thread is an attack piece.

I'm not sure which is more stunning, your ignorance, arrogance, or self-projecting. You are the person who claims the "issues" are health care, the economy, the war, and social security. I noticed you didn't mention the inner city kids.

I work in an area that's like a war zone at times. Washington D.C had more shootings Friday night than Baghdad. This is an issue that's important to me. I have to work in this neighborhood every day.

Seeing the local 14 years old kids smiling about Obama talking about bringing a gun isn't very encouraging.

And you know what's really ironic? I think Obama is a decent enough guy that he wouldn't even try to defend his statement. He probably already wishes he wouldn't have said it. He'd be the first guy to understand how his statement about bringing a gun is completely at odds with his pledge to stop the "cycle of violence."

Why is it so hard for you to admit the same thing?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yet another sad misinformed thread by an Obama hater, it's his latest in a series of more then 10 anti obama threads
The last even more ridiculous as the first...

So far Obama is Muslim, Hindu, christian, Gay, Black to white people , white to black poeple
The truth: he none of the above

This is becoming quite ridiculous,and yes, I'm starting to wonder, does anyone pay you/other Obamahaters to post this BS, repetitively ?

What was this site's motto again ? Spread Ignorance ?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Exactly so, Grover, this thread is an attack piece on Mr. Obama. One of the big problems is that some Americans see him not as a man, but as a BLACK man. I've noticed how often the references to his racial makeup is. It is this kind of thinking that divides this nation, NOT Mr. Obama. He is a highly educated person, articulate and intelligent who is being criticized for absolutely everything.

Honestly, it's a METAPHOR, but I'll bet some of you don't even know what that is. I'll also bet that some of you criticizing him for using this metaphor, have forgotten that Bush once said "Bring it on!" in response to Iraq.

The truly ignorant are the ones who won't vote for him because of this statement; look past the superficial muck-raking that the MSM is putting forth, they are manipulating us because the PTB that own the media are Republican, McCain supporters. All we'll get with McCain will be another term of a Bush look-alike. Obama's comment was nothing compared to McCain's wanting to stay in Iraq for 100 years and not bring the soldiers home; now that's a real disregard for human life and it wasn't a metaphor.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence

If you didn't get the metaphor and honestly think there will be some sort of black uprising, you'd be wrong...And you don't have the required level of intellect to have a reasonable discussion on this board...

Yes, I repeatedly said that his choice of metaphor was a display of poor leadership.

And the issue isn't about a black uprising. The issue, that Obama himself has pointed out, is that there is an epidemic of violence in inner city neighborhoods characterized by a "cycle of violence." Obama's comment isn't going to cause an uprising, but it validates the attitudes that lead to the violence in the first place.

"If somebody hits you, then you hit them back harder."

That's what *causes* the cycle of violence that Obama is pledging to eliminate.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by jamie83]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

This is politics....

Heck !!!

If I took seriously half the stuff I watch in the wee hours sometimes of the Aust parliament, I'd reckon they were all murderers and psychopaths...

I believe you massively overstate the possibility that others might take what he said literally....This is purely conjecture on your part, without any reasonably believable basis...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Dude, I'm not a Republican, and raising questions about Obama's leadership is not an "attack."

Pointing out the inconsistency in pledging to rid our cities of the "cycle of violence" and then saying "if they bring a knife we'll bring a gun" is not an attack, it's an observation.

The only way this thread is an example of anything is how the Obama supporters respond in lock-step to a valid criticism of Obama by attacking the messenger.

That's status quo, not change.

uhmm ...lock-step???? 2 words...george bush

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

If you are not a republican, that is fine, and only shows the list of those that oppose Obama is more than just republicans.

So let me ask, Why do you post so many threads that *ahem* point out his flaws?

I tried to ask as nice as I possibly could.

edit: poor grammar

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I believe you massively overstate the possibility that others might take what he said literally....This is purely conjecture on your part, without any reasonably believable basis...

I don't claim that anybody is going to take it literally. What I'm saying is that this type of attitude, just like his flicking the dirt off his shoulder, validates the culture that's contributing to the problem of inner city violence.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

That is mere opinion, without any kind of validation and belongs in SkunkWorks in that case...

Care to quote some reputable academic or social service kind of sources which might lend some cred to your opinion ??

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

reply to post by jamie83

That is mere opinion, without any kind of validation and belongs in SkunkWorks in that case...

Care to quote some reputable academic or social service kind of sources which might lend some cred to your opinion ??

This is the Decision 2008 forum. I thought we were supposed to voice opinions here. This is ATS, not Wikipedia, right?

And your need for academic or social services to provide proof is another example of what's become the prevalent, liberal elitest strategy. Social services and academic institutions seem to be the only way for liberals to validate their theories because in generally these institutions are extremely sympathetic to liberals.

How about when I stop at the local Subway for lunch I ask some of the people there what they think of Obama's "we'll bring the guns" comment.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

nuh-uh....

You said this would lead to an escalation of violence perpetrated by people who identify with what Obama said, which is totally un-substantiated....

Heresy...

Shame that...I just sent you a GENUINE U2U...

Maybe I was wrong ?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
OOhh Jamie. 'Stay on topic or I'll tell Mom on you everytime'. Can't handle the heat? Then get out of the kitchen.
Take your nonsensical Obama bashing with you.

[edit on 6/16/2008 by jpm1602]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join