It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halo CE - The Greatest Competitive Multiplayer Game Ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I belive that the original Halo is by far the most greatest multiplayer game ever.

The amount of skill in the game. The Great Equalizer, The Pistol...

A game that was perfect by pure chance. Halo: Combat Evolved

A long time indevelopment Mac-Game that was then cut, and parialy ported, and changed into a FPS to the Original XBOX as a launch titlle, with little fanfare or hype, and wasn't even included as one of the top titles for launch. The last page in the intrusction manuel is the one page discription of the multiplayer in the game. It was included as an afterthought, as well as the network play options, that were left over from the Mac/Pc days of the game...

Heres the Game at E3 2000 a little more then a Year before release. The company was then bought by Microsoft, and the game Converted from 3rd person, to a FPS in about a year... which basicly caused some of the 'details' from the earlier version to be stripped down and the game recived less attention then before

The game was the only game that was decent out of the launch titles of the Xbox, and without Halo, the Xbox wouldn't have likly have succeded, as for the first 2 months after release half of all Xboxs bought were bought with Halo:Combat Evolved. It also sold for its retail price for over 2 years!

The game engine hasn't been copied a million times, theres only one other game with the engine, ans its a third person platform game that stunk it up. The games graphics still look good today, which you cant say about many games from 2001... or many launch games for that matter...

This game created the demand for Xbox Live. The game was also playable over GameSpy, with a program called XboxConnect, which let people 'trick' thier Xbox's into thinking they were playing on LAN... and let you play with people from all acoss the world, with horrible lag...

But the tru beauty of the game lies in its 16 player LAN capibility. The ability to be able to link 2 console together and play each other was a first for consoles. And because playing online was not practical, people had LAN parties.

Halo was the Social Multiplayer game. It grabed people from all over and made them bring TV's and Xboxs together. Made people go out and by Network Hubs, and 100 foot ethernet cords. Halo LAN parties that lasted thru the night and into the weekend.

No other game compeled people to go out and buy a game system, besides mabye GTA, people would come and play just for fun, and they would lose, and they would play more, and more, until they had to go buy the game.

The game was so great because they didn't know how powerful, the pistol was. They let it slip thru, and it made the game, made the system, and made them like a billion dollars... If the game was rereleased now on the 360, exactly the same, but only adding XBL, with no other patchs/updates, it would outsell, and be the most played online game.

The Single player also stands on its own, one of the finest FPS single/coop games ever, but the multiplayer is what makes this game the Greatest. And on that note, if you've read this much, i would guess you feel the same. No better way to end it then this...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

you are right, except for one thing, there is a gamecube, PS2, and X-Box game called Phantasy Star Online, it was amazing, great graphics, great gameplay, and it made me get my X-Box, but after i got it, i couldnt find Phantasy Star anymore, it died.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Halo is my favorite game trilogy of all time. You forgot to mention that it also has one of the greatest soundtracks of any game.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by outrider

you are right, except for one thing, there is a gamecube, PS2, and X-Box game called Phantasy Star Online, it was amazing, great graphics, great gameplay, and it made me get my X-Box, but after i got it, i couldnt find Phantasy Star anymore, it died.

Thats right, PSO was fun, even if it was only single player... me and my bro used to play it split screen, and even went thru the trouble of getting a modem for the Gamecube, only to find out, there was exactly 7 people in the world that played it online in the GC version...

Yes, ATS anyon... i forgot to mention the music, which has won more awards then you would think possible, the sequals also had Top-of the line bands perform songs for the games... But the original games had music that changed with the mood of the game.

If you were being sneaky and stealth, the music reflected that, if chaos was about to break out, the music reflected that, during a massive battle, the music made your heart throb, and after you finnaly killed that last SOB, the music would return to tranquility... I can't realy say many other games have incorperated music and sound effects as well as the original Halo, Games like Bioshock, have mastered the idea of 'mood music' that Halo introduced...

Also, the AI in the game is top of the line. Although there are no AI bots in multiplayer, the CPU AI during the campain is legendary, enemies us cover fire, hide behind objects, throw gernades, and even lose thier moral when commanding officers die...

The Music, and the AI are both top of the line, but neither are essential to the Multi-player portion of the game...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

the music was good, even in the sequels, in fact, i would say it got better each time, my fave music was that creepy music they would play when the flood started coming out, that was nice

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
While i love halo 1 and 3 (halo 2 was pathetic)
i can hardly condone calling it the best ever

Sure, i had lots of fun pre-xboxlive with halo 1
but ultimately - it was an uneven game (you point out the pistol)

that pistol caused more yelling at our halo parties than anything else

My choices for "best ever"
would either be Counter Strike
or
World of Warcraft

But, still, Halo: CE brings back lots of memories

(think they'll ever remake blood gulch for Halo3?)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
My choices for "best ever"
would either be Counter Strike
or
World of Warcraft

CS is very good, and competative. But the cheating is so insane in that game. Back when i played, there was someone cheating in EVER game...

WoW is so anti-social... i have a friend that started playing it a month ago, and now we don't hang out anymore... all he does is sit in his room, playing WoW, he doesnt hang anymore, and his G/F is freaking pissed at him...

Halo CE was the best , becasue it FORCED you to get together with people, it made you be social.

... and the pistol is god... the pistol is the reason Halo made it, hell, the pistol is THE reason the Xbox survied... you spawn witha weapon and you can kill the enemy in a second... 3 shots... compare that to Halo 2 where you spawn with a weapon that takes about 5 secs of 'spraying' to kill someone...

Even though the pistol is the dominate weapon, most other weapons were still worth using, The Rocket Launcher, Shotty, Sniper, Plasma Rifle, only the plasma pistol and needler were not worth useing...

Some people say that the pistol made the game uneven... but i say that because of the pistol the game was even... with the pistol, you can always defend yourself, at any range, weather fighting a sniper of a shotty...the pistol could win if you hit your shots. In halo 2, you spawned with a SMG, it had no range, and was a 'pray-n-spray' gun... which means you cannot defend yourself at range, this lead to major spawn campings...

As for Halo 3... its an ok game, better overall then Halo 2... but the game just doesnt have that feel... it feels to ordinary... there are no moments where men scream like schoolgirls in multiplayer...

Outrider, the Libiary is my fav halo level... the music is instense, its moving fast and panicy, just like the level... and it was also a tough level too, something that cannot be said for the sequals...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I would have to agree, it is one of the best games ever. Multiplayer on the PC version is great, unless the host decides to do one starting with just pistols on death island. You try shooting a banshee down with a pistol when they have shields. It's very hard. Though with plasma grenades you can stick them with one, which is funny though it's usually a revenge for being run over.

Have you ever seen this site? I wish I was that good at it.

Course the funniest multiplayer is sneaking up behind someone and hitting them in the back when they're sniping someone. That is funny. Best on Boarding action.

And yes the music is excellent.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I love Halo CE

I disagree on boarding action, even with 8 or more players, that map sucked...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Yeah, it isn't a great map, it's just that coming up behind someone and hitting them is funniest on that map, since they won't notice it.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Yeah, it isn't a great map, it's just that coming up behind someone and hitting them is funniest on that map, since they won't notice it.

I like punching people all the time.

My fav, is on Damnation, and jumping down behind someone from great hights and killing them... i jumped from top sniper/insvise, assasioned one guy, jumped down and assasioned a second guy that just climbed up the rocket ladder, and went thru the telepoter and jumped and assainosated another for the sickest little spree ever.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

i remember once, i was playing with three friends, my friend(lets call him bob) had this incredible large TV, 42 inch, so i took the perfect sniper position, lowered the sensitivity to the lowest possible, and sniped an entire warthog, totally full, three , rocket launched three banshee, and a scorpion, and i was killed accidentally by a stray grenade, but all those kills, in under three minuets, no one knew where i was, whenever i killed someone i loved the looks on there faces after i killed them, gotta love it

top topics

join