It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even on Fathers' Day, Media Find a Way to Bash Men

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dervishmadwhirler
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

This OP to me is a bit whiny and directly supports a part of the theory and practice you so despise.

I am the OP.

What are you talking about?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by dervishmadwhirler

This OP to me is a bit whiny and directly supports a part of the theory and practice you so despise.

I am the OP.

What are you talking about?

I am talking about the original post, sorry, my bad !

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I can only conclude that you did not read the original post or you would have some understanding of my intent and and what the post actually said.

It takes a little effort to read, I admit, but it's not that hard. You should give it a shot.

[edit on 2008/6/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

Maybe on the Disney channel that is the typical set up, but not mainstream TV. Also, if you pay attention, the hot teen girl is the smartest one in the cast.. (ouch). I can't think of a comedy where the male was the intelligent reasonable character and the female was the clown since the sixties. They make fun of the women, but the men are almost always dumber, in less control of their emotions, and have less discipline. In cartoons this is especially true.

Who are the dumbest characters on TV?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Krieger

Maybe on the Disney channel that is the typical set up, but not mainstream TV. Also, if you pay attention, the hot teen girl is the smartest one in the cast.. (ouch). I can't think of a comedy where the male was the intelligent reasonable character and the female was the clown since the sixties. They make fun of the women, but the men are almost always dumber, in less control of their emotions, and have less discipline. In cartoons this is especially true.

Who are the dumbest characters on TV?

*coughs* Malcolm in the Middle *coughs*

Seems to be the main guy in that is portrayed as a genius, actual genius. Can't believe i just admitted i watch that program, look i was young, i didn't know better. Don't be harsh in your judgements

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
War has been psychologically declared on the male, particularly the American male father figure. i tend to think it has been part of the destruction of our country by unseen forces, largely through the media. The meat and potatoes of our country, the family, is being destroyed. This echoes through society and is partly responsible for all the madness we now see culminating on various fronts. The easiest way to do this is to "de-ball" the male, so to speak, and also to degrade and demean the father figure. Also, get the young males when their ripe for the picking. Then, drug them up with ritalin and other mind altering Orwellian psycho-tropical drugs, particularly if their displaying any dangerous or unhealthy symptoms of being, well, lively young males.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by comm12

no man with real balls can be or would be deballed by commercials and loose talk. but, lets say, hypothetically, that your theory holds water. the more time they spend whining about this insignificant nonsense, the weaker they would look and in the end would become.

shake it off and get on with it like women have for centuries. i do agree with you about the drugs...but they're drugging everyone.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I actually watched most of an episode or two of "Malcom in the Middle", it was between other shows that I liked, "Ally McBeal" I believe.

The thing is that the middle kid in the family was the genius, not the father. The father in the show was a total idiot, one of the biggest non-cartoon idiots in sitcoms, and as for most family shows of the modern era, the mom was the person who made the show function, she was the force in the family.

"Malcom in the Middle" is a prime example of a show where the father is portrayed as a spineless fool.

The strongest male father figure I can think of in the last forty years is John Goodman on "Rosie".

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Insignificant nonsense? Whining? Who said I was male? I am, but I didn't indicate it in my post. I have clearly stated something I believe is happening, by no means am I whining about it. It's not about real men actually being "de-balled" or truly effected by all of this, it's about the media constantly embedding the image into the American psyche. I still go about my business and enjoy my life as much as possible, but I'm not going to stand by and pretend something isn't happening, or at least not acknowledge that something is happening. I'm not going to drink the kool-aid.

As far as women being suppressed goes, yea we all know the harsh reality of that situation in past and present times. However, the issue at hand and what I've addressed is more than just a gender issue. Like I said, this concerns the destruction of the American family, particularly by destroying and downplaying the father and the patriarch. If the mother figure was undergoing the same treatment I would hope people would be hip to it and realize it's degrading. I certainly would.

As far as the drugging goes, I'm glad you agree to an extent. However, I personally feel that some of the "symptoms" of these new age "mental problems" that constitutes these drugs being used on the children (aggressive behavior, over-activity) are normal common characteristics of boys just being boys. Our society has come to fear normal male behavior and war has been declared by misguided feminism.

There are roughly 3 million American children are on these drugs, with 90 percent of them being males. Can this many boys really be biochemically imbalanced? Or is there something imbalanced about the way society deals with the biochemistry of boys?

Like I said, Orwellian twilight-zone nightmare.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by comm12]

[edit on 17-6-2008 by comm12]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I would just like to say that I am very happy that you posted this story, I would like to say that there are lots of great men out there, Like my boyfriend. I think that some women just find bad guys to love. People forget that finding someone to be with takes a LONG time and you have to be the right age and place in your life to find that person. SO my advice to you is keep you head up, most women know that men are great guys.
I don't think the Family guy stereotype is anything new, there is Ted Bundy, All in the family... But there is also Bill Cosby, Family Matters, Rev Run, and so on... so keep your head up it could be worse you could be a black male, now that's a character that is miss represented!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Men being incompetent housekeepers has been around since TV began. However, the trend of men being total idiots started in the '90s. It is strange because most of the writers are men.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well, perhaps this is actually just a sign of the times.

It's a truth in our society that men and women have always been seen as un-equal, and highlighting this fact only seems to serve to solidify that impression of society.

Of course, in reality it's really just a small percentage of the population that still thinks in terms of sexism, but unfortunately it's the people who have been here the longest and have an awful lot of power that still do.

Those who are willing to seize power have the capacity to shape society.

It's a shame not everyone is thinking about making the future a better place for society when they go out grabbing for power.

The sad fact is, however, that there are - as others have used the term - femi-nazis in similar positions of power, those who fought their way through the corporate world with feminism and justice as their ally.

Naturally, they aren't going to turn their backs on the cause of their success.

My rhetoric is going nowhere, so i'll leave it with the powerful shaping society, not society shaping the powerful.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Guilty conscience? As a psychologist I think that men who are good fathers wouldn't be phased by such stories, but if you are feeling weak, insecure and vulnerable go ahead and wallow in it HE-MAN!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
To the OP, starred and flagged. I don't adhere to many of the 'conspiracies' espoused around here...AND I am not saying I believe that there is an outright conspiracy against men; BUT I definitely agree that our zeitgeist is one that mocks, ridicules, and even de-balls men! When did being a MAN become a bad thing; did I miss a meeting or something?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

How does recognizing that an article that talks one sidedly about the problem of men not doing what their wives tell them to do is sexist, and wanting to start pointing out these sexists points of view as not being acceptable have anything to do with being guilty of ones role as a father? The same goes for pointing out how the media's portrayal of men is slanted far more to the negative than the media's portrayal of women?

Maybe you should apply your psychological assesment to yourself. Are you striking out because you feel guilty about your inadequacies as a woman?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
Guilty conscience? As a psychologist I think that men who are good fathers wouldn't be phased by such stories, but if you are feeling weak, insecure and vulnerable go ahead and wallow in it HE-MAN!

Lilitu,

I think you do understand that the word psychologist....from the Greek word Psyche...implying soul..is religious in its origins.
It makes me wonder by the nature of your post as to what religion or belief system you are promoting here??

I must make haste but I will return to expound on the nature of Occult religion, seduction and deception, and also Drugs, as a parallel of what the OP is discussing as pertains to what one sees in television and movies today.

Intresting posts..thanks to all,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu

HA!!!

Seriously guys, take it like a man! Are you all that insecure that the image of a blundering fool on television makes you think that the writer is making a personal attack on you? Grow up guys!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

actually... i don't care how i'm "presented" in the media. women and even young kids are intelligent enough to see what strengths their husbands and fathers have. have you ever concidered that the reason we get so much flack, is because we ARE resilent to these petty digs and don't let such foolishness bother us. we as men have to let alot of this crap go in one ear and out the other and deal with some issues in our lives without emotional bias. my advice...walk softly and carry a big stick, and at a few critical times, a bigger heart.

I usually agree with you, but not this time. This is nothing less than insidious psychological warfare against caucasian men. There are a number of patient groups that have learned that the way to accomplish their long-term goals is through indoctrinating the children. The schools are being used for this, as well as mass media. The schools are being used because these same groups also understand that teachers are "power figures" to the students and thus are not often challenged. Haven't you ever heard the statement, in effect, "a lie told often enough becomes the truth"? It's because when a person hears or sees something often enough it becames familiar and then accepted. Have a child in school, or know one? If you're not already doing this, make a point of asking them on a regular basis what they've "learned" in school. I think you'll be shocked and angered at what you find out.

[edit on 6/18/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211 This is nothing less than insidious psychological warfare against caucasian men.... Have a child in school, or know one? If you're not already doing this, make a point of asking them on a regular basis what they've "learned" in school. I think you'll be shocked and angered at what you find out.

If I may be so bold, I'll agree with those who think all this p155ing and moaning isn't exactly manly, either. The best way to instill proper values in your child is to be there, and to lead by example. Show your daughter how to swing a hammer and your son how to sew on a button...so they can be independent, never mind the gender models.

Teach them to differentiate between right and wrong, and which path they ought to take...and show them that you do it. The rest sorts itself out, no matter what Hollywood tells you. And if you don't like the message you're getting from the mass media, then write a letter. Tell them this is why you no longer buy Quaker Oats, or General Motors. Add your personal boycott to the signature line of your email. Like...do something!!

When you simply whine, you have already bought into this stereotype that is making you wet your pants. Wimps.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Wimps.

Here here!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join