It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even on Fathers' Day, Media Find a Way to Bash Men

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This trend has been around for at least fifteen years, because that's when I first noticed it and it hasn't abated at all in that time.

It goes back much further than that.

Think of:

I Love Lucy, Gilligan's Island, The Munsters, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched....just to name a few. Most of the plot lines had the men subject to their own ignorance, helplessness, and other deficiencies in favor of far superior women.

It used to bug me, but not anymore.

I enjoy being underestimated.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by loam]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I do need to qualify my earlier remarks by saying there are bad apples on both sides of the gender equation that don't necessarily justify, but do help to perpetuate, the myths and stereotypes that are currently interferring with the proper function of the nuclear family.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Why is it that these shows that denigrate men are so popular? Why are these articles written? Is it because people are idiots or is it because it resonates with a majority of the country?

I saw a list of the ten most popular TV shows the other day. Lost was number one. Are men painted as morons in that show?

WHat about the media portrayal of women? Seen the cover of maxim lately? Or how about the Paris Hilton effect.

Parents have their own responsibility to define and shape their own role in society. I hardly see how men are the victim here.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
As far as I can recall, there have only been two T.V. shows in the recent past that showed competent loving fathers: The Cosby Show, and Little House On The Prairie. I pity anyone who thinks this is by "accident".

BTW, I started boycotting ANY Disney cartoon/movies/kid shows when I realized that EVERYTHING Disney produces has a kid that is either 1) an orphan, or 2) Has one parent that has died. Do you think that this is also a coincidence?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The explanation is simple. Women write letters of complaint. Men don't. Why? Because it's not "manly" to whine. So when the TV bashes women, they get heaps of hate mail. When they bash men, they get laughs. And you have to admit, Homer Simpson is funny as hell.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I have also seen this trend in the media recently, i choose to ignore it but wonder how many people it does affect, especially the young...For half of the week, i am mum and dad to my two girls, and i do a damn good job. So to hell with the media, as long as i keep finding little scrap pieces of paper under my kids beds saying i'm the best Dad in the world, then i know i'm doing a good job.
Happy Fathers Day guys!

When you ask how this nonsense affects the young, you then proceed to answer your own question. Your kids see that you can hold down the fort, and aren't restricted by traditional stereotypes as to roles and duties.

When I was a single Dad, I covered both roles, though cooking came with practice. Now, remarried and a child still at home, he sees me do most of the cooking, and because I'm 'retired-ish', a lot of the housework while his step-mother works. He sees that it's teamwork and it doesn't matter who does what. I kinda marvel that while my father was good at bringing home the bacon, and other traditional Dad roles...if left to his own devices in the kitchen, he'd have starved.

My opinion? Ignore the media. We're doing fine, and Grady? A happy fathers day to you.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

It goes back much further than that.

Think of:

I Love Lucy, Gilligan's Island, The Munsters, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched....just to name a few. Most of the plot lines had the men subject to their own ignorance, helplessness, and other deficiencies, in favor of far superior women.

It used to bug me, but not anymore.

I enjoy being underestimated.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by loam]

How can you put I Love Lucy in that category??? "Luuucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!"

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is perhaps one of the best and most important threads on ATS. For too long men have been portrayed very negatively by the MSM. More importantly however is how men (boys) are treated in the educational system: we are cave dwelling brutes if we don't want to talk about our feelings, horrible individuals if we fight with each other, and are basically treated as misbehaving girls.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Anyone else notice it seems to be only white men portrayed as neanderthal-ish bumbling fools?

Want to discriminate? Straight white males are the only acceptable target these days.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

I absolutely have noticed this. The black male is portrayed as fearless and strong while the white guy is a dumb-ass. Check out King of Queens.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

You forgot the King of all Man hating TV Networks: Lifetime.

Every male on Lifetime is :

- a rapist
- a wife abuser
- cheating on his wife AND abusing her

- or raping some girl, going to see his mistress, and THEN going home to smack the wife around.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Men, I think you are wonderful. There aren't enough words to tell you how much I have always loved and appreciated men.

My female friends are few but I have many good men as very close friends. I would rather be with a group of men discussing men things than be around most women.

I like manly men who know their place as leaders of the family and country.

The feminist movement was the worst thing to happen to women. I like having doors open for me and having heavy things lifted by big strong men. I'm getting chills thinking about your brute power.

It is beyond me how any woman could want to be equal with a man. I prefer to be on a pedestal and treated like a lady any day. To be equal would be to step down.

Happy Fathers Day to all you ATS fathers and grandfathers.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by dizziedame]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Gotta love those Hardee's commercials too that show men fumbling about in the kitchen, struggling unsuccessfully to try and fix themselves something to eat. Add in their witty little catchphrase at the end - "If it weren't for us, some guys would starve."

If they don't have or adverstie Hardee's restaurants in your area, nevermind.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This whole thread just goes to show how much we need to listen to each other and not the damned TV, or these stupid magazines. We're all struggling for one thing, to be treated like humans.

But not all humans are as human as we'd like them to be, case in point, much of corporate America.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I don't think the feminist movement was a bad thing, however what we have now is femi-nazism. What i mean by this is the extreme nature of some feminists. You hear them on the radio extolling men as absolutely useless to society, saying that we have enough sperm in sperm banks to keep the human race going and men are completely obsolete now that we have machinery.

It's scary that men are being seen as half witted, arrogant, beer swilling, sport watching, sex driven, borderline autistic failures of humanity. When this is only half true! (joking)

It's acceptable to chastise men but be very careful if you turn that around and do the same to women. You'll have a legal case slapped on you faster than Bill Clinton lies. The feminist movement was all about equality, and good for them, but that equality has turned the other way and it's now women who are favoured both in legal suits and general life.

Many women will deny that and say they couldn't get jobs because of sexism, but i bet you anything lots of those women didn't get the job because they wern't qualified and shout sexism just out of annoyance, knowing that they'll get their way by scaring the company with a lawsuit.

I think it's time men did the same as the feminists, marched down the street burning items of clothing, jockstraps come to mind. Equality laws should be rechecked to make them more equal, especially where custody of children is involved.

EDIT

The first study was very interesting. The idea that men passively resist what their wife wants them to do. Well i would like to see the reverse of that study because i've never known any woman who would just do whatever someone wanted her to. Talk about a biased study. The scientists attitude stinks, saying her husband refuses to do as she asks. Well i wonder if she does what he asks.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, ad infinitum. I have friends who have been lucky enough to find women that love to Shoot, ride they're own Harley's and just enjoy being with them and not spending the whole time bad mouthing they're so called close friends. Its very refreshing. Again, thank you!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
There was this song "where have all the cowboys gone" and its used to bug me because its like "where have all the ladies gone" and thats not a bash on ladies but a lot of women just dont act like women they act like men and I think this is a bigger picture than people think. Its a changing in society and people wonder why society is so screwed up well look at what the media spouts out. Im disgusted with humanity these days and this is one small part into the bigger picture that corrupts our society.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Everyone who finds this thread to be of interest will also enjoy a book called

"The Hazards of Being Male"

Just a lil contribution. Grady, I know we have had our differences in the past, but I appreciate this post.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Even on Fathers' Day, Media Find a Way to Bash Men

news.yahoo.com

Some discoveries to ponder on Father's Day:

Why Men Ignore Their Wives
Family Guy: Today's Father Can't Win
Men More Forgetful Than Women
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2008/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

Why do women shave their eyebrows and then paint them back on again? Mr.Spock?

Why do women look down at their breasts when you look them in the EYES?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Reminds me of an old joke that showed the differences between men and women.

The CIA are recruiting asassins. A guy comes along and they tell him

"Heres a pistol, go into the next room and kill the person in there."

He goes in and it's his wife, he cries, sobs and then walks out the room, hands the gun back and says he can't do it. He loves his wife to much.

A second guy comes along, yet again he cries and sobs and he can't kill his wife.

The next recruit is a woman, they hand her the gun, she walks into the room and it's her husband. The CIA outside hear 3 shots without delay. Then they hear screaming, crashing, banging and wonder what the hell is going on. Ten minutes later she walks out the room.

"You muppets" she says. "You could have told me the gun had blanks in it, i had to beat him to death with the chair!"

Sorry i couldn't resist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join