It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even on Fathers' Day, Media Find a Way to Bash Men

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Even on Fathers' Day, Media Find a Way to Bash Men

news.yahoo.com

Some discoveries to ponder on Father's Day:

Why Men Ignore Their Wives
Family Guy: Today's Father Can't Win
Men More Forgetful Than Women
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2008/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If you watch television at all you can't help but have noticed that in commercials mainly and in many sitcoms, men are as dumb as rocks, self-centered, irresponsible, unreliable, obsessive about trivial matters and spend most of their free time drinking beer and watching sports. There are truths in these stereotypes, but they do completely ignore the reality of the role of men in both family and society.

The commercials are the worst. A man tells his wife that he's going to check their new house because there was a noise downstairs. He sees a burglar enter his home when he reaches the bedroom door, slams the door and becomes incapable of speaking coherently.

There's the the man who's so stupid that when his wife is out of town and leaves him with the kids, he can't figure out how to serve cold cereal to the kids for breakfast and using a washer and dryer reduces him to a head scratching blob of protoplasm.

hamptonroads.com...

battlinbog.blog-city.com...

ivanildotrindade.blogspot.com...

www.askmen.com...

www.smh.com.au...

blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com...

This trend has been around for at least fifteen years, because that's when I first noticed it and it hasn't abated at all in that time.

Basically, these commercials are following a social trend that perpetuates the worst myth of all, that of the superwoman, who can hold down a job, raise a family and elegantly entertain family and friends on weekends using only her microwave and the dumb guy who hangs around the house and burns burgers on the patio grill.

There aren't really any winners in this fantasy world, especially the kids who grow up seeing these stereotypes as accurate reflections of American life.

So, today is Fathers' Day and while checking out the news of the day I click on a link for a story of the origins of Fathers' Day and what do I find? Male bashing right in the middle of the article about how a Washington State woman wanted to honor her widowed father who raised her and her five siblings in the late nineteenth century.

So, there you have it, dads. Even on your day, in an article about your day, "Live Science" just can't resist the urge to tell you what a klutz you are compared to the women of the world. Your day celebrates your marginally useful sperm donation and cash flow.

So, to all you real dads out there who love your families, work to bring home the bacon, and provide a source of strength in the real world, Happy Fathers' Day!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2008/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged. Thanks for the good post. You hit on a great topic and covered it well.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Today in the newspaper i saw an advertisement for a men's magazine (bad enough seeing advertisements for media within media, but that's not the point).

Anyway, apart from the hawt stuff on the front cover, it had the words "Sexy Heroîn" written in the bottom right-hand corner.

As clever as the pun is (i think the hawt stuff may have been some sort of film star, hench 'heroine'), i couldn't help but think that whoever made that magazine has it in for society.

Maybe there's something wrong with me - that i'd focus on the writing rather than the rather attractive lady...

Anyway, You're right, philpott, it would seem the MSM is more than willing to try and cash in on tradition.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Good post Grady. I think I noticed this around the same time you mentioned, the early nineties, and it's just snowballed since then. Men are portrayed as helpless bumbling idiots, or an extra child to care for in the household for comic entertainment. Worst thing is, children are the most impressionable and believe the stereotype and I see that in the lack of respect shown to their fathers.

CX

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Thanks for highlighting this one Grady.

I have also seen this trend in the media recently, i choose to ignore it but wonder how many people it does affect, especially the young.

Why do they do this? I would'nt go as far as saying there is any conspiracy behind it, but it does make you wonder when there is so much emphasis put on making guys look as dumb as they come?

Maybe the powers that be are trying to break the spirit of any strong confident men who might one day stand up against them? Make guys feel worthless and they'll be feeling too sorry for themselves to fight.

Pyshological warfare at it's best.

Thats just a wild and random thought though.

Right now, i am wearing my new socks that say "Daddy cool!"

I've got a roast dinner with all the trimmings in the oven.......and i won't burn it because i'm not a clutz.

I'm taking the kids over the forest for a bike ride and to play by the rivers.......and they'll come back safe becasue i'm not a clutz.

Later i have school uniforms to mend.....yes real sewing on the machine....and i won't sew my fingers to the table because i am not a clutz.

For half of the week, i am mum and dad to my two girls, and i do a damn good job. So to hell with the media, as long as i keep finding little scrap pieces of paper under my kids beds saying i'm the best Dad in the world, then i know i'm doing a good job.

Happy Fathers Day guys!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

It is pushed into the kids heads at an early age. I was watching the Berenstain Bears with my daughter and was thinking about what a horrible image of the father figure that show puts forward. Then when you start watching for it, most of the kids shows have the same stereotype in them.

We are doomed.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Then when you start watching for it, most of the kids shows have the same stereotype in them.

Well, it's not just the kid's shows though.

Programs like The Simpsons and Family guy both depict charactertures of bumbling fathers who somehow get away with being utter morons.

Perhaps that's the kind of society that the MSM is trying create - one where it's okay to be an idiot so long as you deny it.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I think the media loves the fact that the white, hetrosexual male can still be targetted and laughed at freely without risk. Equal rights is a nice idea but doesn't hold much water in my eyes i'm afraid.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I'm a woman and i have noticed this too. But it's not just making men appear incompetent....the sexism that women fought so hard to stop is now going the other way.
Here in the UK, theres a diet coke commercial...3 professional woman get in an elevator, open their cans, hit the emergency button and proceed to ogle the guy who comes to "fix" the problem.
I hate this advert...it's the same as racism, there is no point crying out about it being done to you if you're gonna go ahead and do it to someone else.
Good thread

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by geek101

It's probably because the CEOs of the corporate world aren't willing to concede a total defeat over the issue of women's rights, so feminists haven't stopped fighting for their rights.

Unfortunately, they've hit a wall they can't break down without the help of everyone, not just women.

They succeed when they keep us fighting each other, and unfortunately a lot of the more 'hardcore' feminists don't realise it because their eyes are clouded by hate.

It's not going the other way because of them, but because the people they were trying to face are bad losers.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I see what you mean. I guess that could be the reason.
I just find it sad and annoying that things which would be unacceptable to women were it being done about them, is ok, because (and i've heard this excuse before)...."now it's our turn"

Turn for what exactly? To treat other people like crap, assume they are weak, unable and only there for our amusements?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by geek101

They only act like that because of the harsh criticism that they've received (from women as well as men), just like everyone else has.

Idk, perhaps we've unwittingly entered the age of criticism and everyone is too pent-up with rage to notice it.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I do believe there is a concerted effort on today in American society to disenfranchise men, and especially fathers. The father's traditional role in the nuclear family is to be replaced by the state as head of household. The denigration and ridicule of men in the media is just the tip of the iceberg. The effort goes much, much deeper than that. Any father who has had the misfortune to go through a divorce recently, and been subject to the "family" court system, knows what the real score is these days. The family court system is no more about preserving the family than Planned Parenthood is about parenthood.

Why is this happening? Possibly because the same attributes: strength, determination, problem solving ability, innovative thinking, etc. in American men that made this country great may now be perceived as a threat to the supremacy of the ptb. Can't have these strong, capable, dedicated, effective men running around taking care of business now, can they? Such men might start to think for themselves, and see through this charade being foisted on us by the global fascist elite. They might not go along all docile and peaceable like. Better portray them as buffoons, emasculate and marginalize them, so even their own spouses and children will make fun of them, turn away, and discount their words and works of wisdom. Or better yet, aggravate them incessantly and see if you can get them to snap and become their own worst enemy.

That isn't going to be allowed to happen in my house, God willing. Thanks for posting this thread, Grady.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This is happening in our schools every day. Male children are denigrated by the teachers in front of the female students. Very seldom does it happen with female students. They are taken aside in private and 'talked to' alone. My sons brought this to my attension in the late 80's, so this has been going on for quite some time. Realy good post Grady.Thanks and happy fathers day to all!!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Here Here great post and glad you brought it up. I feel there is a massive campaign to weaken men like with this metrosexual stuff and crap like that. They dont want men to be men anymore. This is all my opinion of course but I truly feel they want to soften men up and make them stupid so they cannot see the fact that all of our rights are being taken away. A weak man isnt going to stand up for his rights and a dumb man isnt going to know his rights are being taken away. I do feel there is a motive to all of this.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Excellent thread Grady! I got a huge laugh out of your OP. I guess since I don't identify myself with the buffoon stumbling around burning stuff on the grill I can enjoy the humor in it.

I do however see the seriousness of the attack being leveled against Men. I see it as being something that has been around since the beginning of time. From a Biblical point of view it was one of the Curses laid down against Eve after the Original Sin that she would forever wish to control her Man. Our current Nanny state just facilitates that natural Bent by removing the need for the Protection and Provision that a Man would provide in a less secure setting. Which has been most of human history.

Heaven help Women if hard times come again. There may be a serious shortage of Real Men to Protect and Provide. Unless you need a Real XBOX warrior!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Grady, rarely do I see eye to eye with you, but YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!

There is a term used in the midwest, maybe everywhere called douchbag, it's basically a man with a fake tan, body waxing, highlights in thier hair, collar turned up on their polo shirt, etc. When these so called men started hitting the bar scene we called them metro sexuals, now they are just douchbags beacuse well, the media has taught them that being more primped than a woman will get you more women. Are you kidding me!? I run from these guys. I want a man, a real man, the way they used to be.

I do think the media has a heavy hand in this, but what I can't figure out is why. Then again the media also makes women believe that anything over 110 pounds means you are obese.

There is a country song by Brad Paisley called I'm Still A Guy. Just came out recently. It's good to know there are still some out there.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

actually... i don't care how i'm "presented" in the media. women and even young kids are intelligent enough to see what strengths their husbands and fathers have. have you ever concidered that the reason we get so much flack, is because we ARE resilent to these petty digs and don't let such foolishness bother us. we as men have to let alot of this crap go in one ear and out the other and deal with some issues in our lives without emotional bias. my advice...walk softly and carry a big stick, and at a few critical times, a bigger heart.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Hmm, perhaps now would be a good time to mention the recent advent of fathers4justice.

They hold many of the concepts that are discussed in this topic to heart, quite dearly, and in all honesty i think they've picked a good fight to fight.

You can view their webpage here if you like, or just type fathers4justice into google and check it out.

I was wondering how other users on ATS felt about the group.

Do you agree with what it is they're trying to do?

Should they be trying a different approach than climbing buildings dressed as superheroes?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join