It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama filling sand bags to help flood victims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
First off, I have to say that we have a candidate who gets down and dirty with the common man. Action speaks louder than words, and this speaks numbers.

Obama visited the flooded Midwest later Saturday, stopping in Quincy, Ill., to help fill sandbags.

In somewhat of a surprise visit to Quincy Saturday, presumptive democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama stopped by the Civic Center to boost morale.

Obama shoveled a few sandbags along with state senator John Sullivan and Quincy Mayor John Spring.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Don't confuse this with actually doing much to help the effort. Obama and the other politicians dropped by to 'bag' a few photo's. The rest of the people in the pics were actually there to help...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
What a great guy. This pretty-much eradicates any misgivings I had about his character etc.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Please
get over yourself

A presidential nominee showing up does more than just filling a few bags
it provides morale and support
it gives the people something to be HAPPY about
instead of just thinking about their homes washing down stream

Anti-Obama if you want to
but dont dispel his attempts to help someone else.
I live in IL
i have family up in Iowa and in Indiana. My brother lost his home in Indiana. That doesnt really apply here..but if Obama showed up to shake his hand and say "dont worry my friend, help is coming"

that'd be the best thing anyone has said to him since he lost everything.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
If the cameras weren't there, he wouldn't have helped out. That's a politician for you.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

I'm not anti Obama. Hell, I'll take Obama over McCain any day of the week (although I won't be voting for either of them).

I'm anti-politician-camera-mugging-photo-opping-poser. What's his obvious intent in those pics? Does he look like a man who came to help fill some sandbags and help out the effort or does he look like a man who came to pose for the cameras?

They're always there for the pics, and in a few minutes they are off to the next photo op in the trusty limo. Sorry if that does not tug at my heart strings....

Relax. I'm not bashing the guy because of who he is. I'm bashing him because of what he is (politician). I'm happy for anyone out there who feels relieved in any way for his visit, but as I see it, he wasn't there so much to help them as he was to take advantage of the situation for his own personal gain. Like I said.......typical politician.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
LOL is this what it's come to now? I guess kissing babies is soooo pre 9/11....wow it's so great that Obama got out to fill sandbags
If there wasn't an election going on, do you really think he'd be out there? Of course not.

I'm awaiting the gratuitous pictures of McCain, giving mouth -to - mouth to an African American drive by shooting victim in Atlanta now or D.C....if you can think it up, it willl be done

[edit on 15-6-2008 by LateApexer313]

[edit on 15-6-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Shoveled a few sandbags.

Hmpffhh..

Can we say shoveling crap for the masses, even putting it in bags so it's easier for us to carry?

This is simply, and I mean simply, pandering. Filled a few bags. Want to impress me? Order some of your staff to help, and stay for twelve hours.

Otherwise, get out the way of an honest rescue effort.

This is sad.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Terror,Terror,Terror - everythings bad, everyones bad - death kill - my woodshack will save me!!! Bush 2008

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Ahhhhh #e.. look they got that BLACK MAN working for em again!!

lol

My god.. At least he is doing SOMETHING... sure it is a photo OP...

BUT IT IS SOMETHING!!!!!!

He has a SHOVEL in his hand...

And that is more then a Bullhorn... it is more then sitting in a plane looking down... It is more then holding a cake on the tarmack celebrating McCains Birthday...(which is the whole reason he flew over the area as he was on his way to bring his lap dog mccain some cake...)

[edit on 15-6-2008 by SavageHenry]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavageHenry
Ahhhhh #e.. look they got that BLACK MAN working for em again!!

Geez, I busted a gut at that one. "Once again, the black man has to bust his ass for Whitey."

It's all a photo-op. Doesn't matter if it were Clinton, McCain, Bush or Obama. He doesn't look too sweaty or dirty for having been at that sort of labor, so I bet he filled one or two, then called it a day.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Exactly...

He is a Candidate for President... he has a Camera enema 25 hours a day..

He has also been campaigning for so long every part of his life is now that...

Even his breakfast... Which I am sure we will see a thread on here soon where one of them says... "OBAMA eats COCO PUFFS!! He just SEETHES hatred for white corn starch!!!"

"Yeah .. McCain eats his KIX... as he stands proud for the white race of maize!"

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What a great photo op for Obama. He sure is a smart politician.

I don't see why anyone would be impressed by something so obviously done for the media coverage. Not that Obama's a bad guy for it, it's great of him to help out.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
What are intentions when compared to results?

My employees dont bust their butts for ME so that *I* make more money
they bust their tails for themselves so that they make more money

The end result is still the same FOR ME *i make more money!*

Who cares what the intentions are?

If you're so hooked on nobility here, why werent you over there filling sandbags?

Also - who said he left after a few snaps?
Who said he didnt get his hands dirty?

Remember when Curious George went to Narrlens (New Orleans) ???

now thats a photoshoot that even Austin Powers would *shudder* at. No pun intended.

I'd like for you to go back to the top and re-read the passage.
He showed up for "morale boost" and to shovel a few bags.

If Michael Jordan shows up for Morale Support and only talks to people and makes them feel better about themselves, you'd hail him a hero (and he would be)

There are all types of Nobility in the world.
And anyone who slams Obama for these photos doesnt have a single type to speak of.

Its not about "pro or anti obama"
Its about a man using his Celebrity status to encourage those around him. Where was McCain in all of this?

Getting another face-lift?

I mean seriously. Get off the guy. Call it politics if you want.
But you should be upset with yourself since you werent there, and he was.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I saw this on TV. He was in his suit shirt and never used the shovel when the cameras were not running. He just held it. Typical Obama using a hurricane for a phony photo opp. The word is that he was there by the sand less than 10 minutes.

He arrived at 2:40, talked as two Boy Scouts actually filled the 20 sand bags, then he went inside to the Air Conditioning and gave a speech. He left at 3:15. Leave it to Obama to use peoples suffering for a cheap photo opp.

Can't people see what an empty suit Obama is?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Its really a no win situation.

The media will spin it however it best suites their agenda.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I bet all the Republican's are going to do is put on their sad faces at their convention and donate a couple of million dollars for aid, then they'll send it to Louisiana and we'll hear something in a couple of months about the money not going to the victims because the state is corrupt and then we'll never hear anything about it again.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I agree. Is the camera ready?

Obama has a big edge over McCain in this respect. First, he beat him to it; second, Obama is young and can work all day, McCain is 90 years-old and can only fill a couple of sandbags before exhaustion sets in.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Uh, guys...this is from June in Quincy, Illinois. It is not a part of the hurricane relief effort currently ongoing.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Oh yeah, those cloths hes in look like their ready for a hard day of filling sandbags...

I'm sure when its Bush you call these kinds of thing photo ops.

now thats a photoshoot that even Austin Powers would *shudder* at. No pun intended.

Reduced to posting photoshops as real. How pathetic.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Dronetek]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join