It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shower Curtain Alert! Don't Inhale!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Shower Curtain Alert! Don't Inhale!

sciencemode.com

That familiar smell from opening a new shower curtain could be hazardous to your health. And

that’s why a consumer group is urging retailers to stop selling PVC shower curtains.

The Center for Health, Environment & Justice has just published “Volatile Vinyl: The New Shower Curtain’s Chemical Smell”, which claims more than 100 chemicals are released into the air when consumers open the packages containing the curtains. The CHEJ is also calling on the Consumer Product Safety Commission to recall the curtains from store shelves.

The CHEJ says it discovered the hazards in a study of shower curtains made with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic. The curtains reportedly contain many harmful chemicals including volatile organic compounds (VOCs), phthalates and organotins. The study found that exposure to the chemicals creates health problems such as respiratory irritation, central nervous system, liver and kidney damage, nausea, headaches and loss of coordination.

The CHEJ purchased PVC shower curtains at Bed Bath & Beyond, Kmart, Sears, Target and Wal-Mart to be used as samples for the testing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Yep.

I had my wife stop purchasing these years ago.

How evil must something be before people have to stop selling it?

sciencemode.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Can it be that much worse than new carpet or a new memory foam bed? Both emit a lot of fumes or VOC's for a long time. They can't be good for you.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I kinda liked the smell, but its one that you know is no good for you. I shall avoid them now.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
What are we supposed to use for a replacement shower curtain liner? I've only ever seen the vinyl-type liners for sale in these parts.

But I am not surprised that these are toxic.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Ahhhh screw it! You don't want to live forever do you?

If you don't shower for a few months....everyone around you will sure wish that you don't!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I remember as a younger kid, sometimes hot wheels and other miniature things would sometimes emit extremely peculiar odors. Who knows what assaults us daily?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I guess if one soaked their shower curtains in gasoline, that would dissolve out some of those nasty chemicals.
I love the smell of gasoline and its a safer alternative to shower curtain fumes I'll bet.

Why do they keep making this crap with all the crap in it?
I guess that's probably what makes this stuff as cheap as possible to manufacture.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Forget about the shower curtain, what about the water itself? All city and municipal water has chlorine in it. The EPA has set the limits on chlorine, up to 33% higher that what is needed to clean a normal swimming pool.

Ever get dizzy after taking a nice hot shower? It's because your skin absorbs chlorine and you are continuously breathing all that chlorine in the water vapors.

I guess the Center for Health, Enviroment, and Justice, just wants to go after businesses, nevermind the goverment.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm sure the "dose" you receive from opening one pvc shower curtain is "minuscule" in comparison to the dose it would take to actually do you harm, notice how they never give out that info. Drinking too much water is also hazardous to your health, but in smaller quantities is harmless (even beneficial and a necessity).

I worked with PVC pipes for 10 years installing pump stations in groves, we were using large PVC pipes, 12 inch schedule 40 or larger sometimes, and we used circle saws to cut the PVC pipes, I'm sure I inhaled a lot of the chemicals in PVC by doing this over those 10 years, 5 days a week, and have no ill effects from it!

I'm not sure how different the chemical composition is between the two products though.

[edit on 6/15/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
I love the smell of gasoline and its a safer alternative to shower curtain fumes I'll bet.

I really think you should try to avoid inhaling gas fumes/vapor!

ToxFAQs™ for Gasoline

How can automotive gasoline affect my health?

Many of the harmful effects seen after exposure to gasoline are due to the individual chemicals in the gasoline mixture, such as benzene and lead. Inhaling or swallowing large amounts of gasoline can cause death.

Inhaling high concentrations of gasoline is irritating to the lungs when breathed in and irritating to the lining of the stomach when swallowed. Gasoline is also a skin irritant. Breathing in high levels of gasoline for short periods or swallowing large amounts of gasoline may also cause harmful effects on the nervous system.

Serious nervous system effects include coma and the inability to breathe, while less serious effects include dizziness and headaches.

There is not enough information available to determine if gasoline causes birth defects or affects reproduction.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Install glass or polycarbonate (high strength plastic commonly called Lexan) shower doors?

There seems to be a lot of outgassing of the plastics used in modern automobile and truck dashes.

We bought an 88 Mustang GT brand new, kept it for 14 years and the plastic dash was still outgassing and depositing vapor on the inside of the windshield all that time.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Forget about the shower curtain, what about the water itself? All city and municipal water has chlorine in it. The EPA has set the limits on chlorine, up to 33% higher that what is needed to clean a normal swimming pool.

Ever get dizzy after taking a nice hot shower? It's because your skin absorbs chlorine and you are continuously breathing all that chlorine in the water vapors.

I guess the Center for Health, Enviroment, and Justice, just wants to go after businesses, nevermind the goverment.

There is already a thread about the chlorinated water problem.

The Vinyl shower curtains however pose a larger threat as the absorption is straight to the blood stream.

As for the dizziness after a hot shower, this will happen even with well water, because it has nothing to do with the chlorine, and everything to do with what happens when the cardiovascular system has to deal with a increase in body temperature.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Install glass or polycarbonate (high strength plastic commonly called Lexan) shower doors?

There seems to be a lot of outgassing of the plastics used in modern automobile and truck dashes.

We bought an 88 Mustang GT brand new, kept it for 14 years and the plastic dash was still outgassing and depositing vapor on the inside of the windshield all that time.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Desert Dawg]

Wow? I didn't realize that.

No wonder I don't like getting in my truck after it has been closed up on a hot day.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
I'm sure the "dose" you receive from opening one pvc shower curtain is "minuscule" in comparison to the dose it would take to actually do you harm, notice how they never give out that info. Drinking too much water is also hazardous to your health, but in smaller quantities is harmless (even beneficial and a necessity).

I worked with PVC pipes for 10 years installing pump stations in groves, we were using large PVC pipes, 12 inch schedule 40 or larger sometimes, and we used circle saws to cut the PVC pipes, I'm sure I inhaled a lot of the chemicals in PVC by doing this over those 10 years, and have no ill effects from it!

I'm not sure how different the chemical composition is between the two products though.

The hard PVC isn't anywhere near as problematic as the soft stuff. Soft plastics of any kind pose continual problems, where as the hard plastic and PVC have a much less duration of leeching or off-gasing

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I always liked the way the new ones smelled ;P
I have a glass door now, and have for many years....so I don't have to worry.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Probably the same for inflatable pool toys, Beach Balls and floating matresses.

Water wings for the Kids? lymph node cancer?

said enough.......

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I bought a shower curtain a few months back. I brought it home from Kmart, opened the packaging and hung it up. It stunk SO bad. I ended up pointing the fan into the bathroom to try to air it out and lessen the smell. Stunk up the whole apartment. I knew it wasn't good when I smelled that smell, but like another poster asked, what are we supposed to use when that is all that is available.

Gotta love all the things they poison us with.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Are you freaking serious? Shower curtains?

We live in a world full of corrupt politicians, military dictatorships, disease, famine, war, and destruction. Children are doing drugs brought to us by our own government. Alcoholism is glorified in our entertainment venues. Most kids are addicted to cigarettes by the time they graduate. Everything we eat and drink is packed full of "preservatives" which are nothing more than poison.

And people are worried about shower curtains?!!

Oh my God, Stop the presses!!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Now see this is why I have plexiglass sliding doors around my bathtub. Hopefully, no hazard in that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join