It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's have an experiment on News Sourcing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I received this in a Keyword News email from Yahoo! Alerts.
I decided I wanted to carry out a small experiment on the differences on these different news providers. Some are MSM while some others are independent and foreign. We seem to have a good little selection of sources like CNN, al-Jazeera, New York Times, etc.
I would like to hear from everyone the differences between these sources reporting on the same event, what you think the bias may be, manner in which it was reported, etc. You don't have to give every detail you can think of, but I think this could help gain a better understanding of the differences we are likely to find.

Yahoo! Alerts
Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:45 AM PDT

Taliban fighters escape in daring attack on Afghan prison
Daily Telegraph Fri, 13 Jun 2008 1:54 PM PDT
Hundreds of Afghan prisoners, including Taliban fighters, have escaped from a prison in the southern city of Kandahar after militants launched an attack on the jail.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Taliban fighters have attacked a prison in southern Afghanistan, triggering a gun battle with the police.
Aljazeera Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:54 AM PDT
The Taliban fighters are reportedly trying to free their comrades from the jail in Kandahar. According to Qais Azimy, Al Jazeera's correspondent, the Taliban fighters have managed to get into the prison to free some of the men.
english.aljazeera.net...

Taliban Fighters Flee After Jail Break
SkyNews via Yahoo! UK & Ireland News Sat, 14 Jun 2008 2:55 AM PDT
Up to 1,000 prisoners, including 400 Taliban militants, are on the run following an audacious breakout from a jail in Afghanistan.
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Taliban militants attack prison to free fighters
San Jose Mercury News Sat, 14 Jun 2008 1:39 AM PDT
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Taliban militants staged a brazen bomb and rocket attack on the main prison in southern Afghanistan late Friday, blowing down the gate and helping hundreds of suspected insurgents flee, officials said.
www.mercurynews.com...

Hundreds escape as Taliban fighters free prisoners in raid
The Scotsman Sat, 14 Jun 2008 3:34 AM PDT
HUNDREDS of prisoners have escaped from a prison in Afghanistan following a raid by Taliban insurgents.
news.scotsman.com...

Afghan prison escape: Manhunt for Taliban fighters
Daily Telegraph Sat, 14 Jun 2008 3:09 AM PDT
A massive manhunt has been launched in southern Afghanistan to track down hundreds of Taliban militants who were dramatically rescued from a top security prison.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Taliban Free 1,200 in Attack on Afghan Prison
New York Times Fri, 13 Jun 2008 6:58 PM PDT
In a brazen attack, Taliban fighters assaulted the main prison in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on Friday night, blowing up the mud walls, killing 15 guards and freeing around 1,200 inmates.
www.nytimes.com...

Taliban free 1,200 inmates in brazen raid
Seattle Times Sat, 14 Jun 2008 2:18 AM PDT
In a brazen attack, Taliban fighters assaulted the main prison in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on Friday night, blowing up the mud...
seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Taliban fighters escape after Afghan prison bombing
CNN.com Sat, 14 Jun 2008 0:49 AM PDT
Militants attacked a main prison in Afghanistan's Kandahar province Friday night, blowing its entrance open and allowing a large number of inmates to escape, provincial authorities said.
www.cnn.com...

The Taliban blew open the Kandahar jail with suicide lasts before shooting the security guards [AFP]
Aljazeera Sat, 14 Jun 2008 5:54 AM PDT
A hunt is under way for more than 870 prisoners who escaped from a jail in southern Afghanistan after Taliban fighters blew it open, killing 15 security guards.
english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Well, it would seem that aljazeera is the only one that seems to focus on the actual event itself as opposed to the efforts of the Taliban*.

All the western sources comment on how it was "brazen" and "well-planned", repeatedly.

I think i see what you're getting at, but i'll wait until others respond before adding my deliberations.

*Interestingly, it would seem aljazeera is the only one that actually cares about the why as opposed to the how, which is presented in their second source.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Good experiment!!!

I will check it out and dig myself...

new topics

join