It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay priests marry in church

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Gay priests marry in church

www.news.com.au

THE Church of England has said two gay priests may have broken its rules, after a newspaper report that they exchanged vows and rings in Britain's first ever church "wedding" ceremony for a same-sex couple.

The Sunday Telegraph said clerics Peter Cowell and David Lord married at one of England's oldest churches - Saint Bartholomew the Great in London - last month, using one of the church's most traditional wedding rites.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
These stories make me realise even more, how outdated, irrelevant, useless and utterly nonsensical mainstream religion is.

What a joke.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Yet again people re-writing the bible just to suit their lifestyle. This is the last straw for me I am changing to Catholicism (my mother is Catholic so I should have been with this true faith anyway).

I can't wait to bring this up in October when when I enter my third year of University (University of Sussex, England).

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Exactly. I just don't understand how a church won't let gays/lesbians marry. Aren't they supposed to welcome "sinners"? (I don't bselieve it's a sin, but most Christian churches do). I mean, it's not supposed to be an exclusive club!
Just one more reason why I quit believing in Christianity and became Pagan, where there's no dogma and ALL are welcome.
How can it ever be a sin to genuinely love another human being?

And it's not about rewriting the Bible; Jesus NEVER said anything against homosexuality, it's not in the "red print"; he ran around with prostitutes, thieves, etc.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by endrun
. I just don't understand how a church won't let gays/lesbians marry.

It's scripturally based. Read ROMANS.

Aren't they supposed to welcome "sinners"?

Repentant sinners, yes.

How can it ever be a sin to genuinely love another human being?

You and I don't think it is. However, this is the interpretation that the Church of England has. Therefore .. either believe it or get out of that church.

Jesus NEVER said anything against homosexuality, it's not in the "red print";

I kinda do the same thing. If Jesus didn't say it, then I don't take it as seriously. People point to what St. Paul said or what is said in Romans. But those are all second and third hand sources intermixed with personal feelings and traditions of the time.

Then again, the bible says that Jesus said enough and taught enough that there aren't enough books in the world to contain what He has taught. It is likely He taught something about this ... one way or the other .. but we will not know what He said until we are dead.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'd bet that he would say that it doesn't matter and that it's just church dogma which he doesn't have anything to do with.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

god gave us all free will

jesus taught love and forgiveness

who cares who marries who

alot of people should be studying jesus' teachings, the only way to god and salvation is through jesus

jesus never taught hate or to judge

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

Yes, IMO mainstream christianity is more based on the teachings of St Paul than of Jesus. Jesus' teachings are IMO more gnostic. So I don't really think it would matter who gets married in the church. It's just agreements set by people based only on their beliefs.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I'd bet that he would say that it doesn't matter

Probably. BTW .. Love your signature!

Originally posted by MurderCityDevil
jesus taught love and forgiveness

And justice. And mercy.
And that we should strive to know God and to do His Will.

"Love the Lord God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul, with all your strength. Love your neighbor as yourself".

Originally posted by TheBandit795
IMO mainstream christianity is more based on the teachings of St Paul than of Jesus.

It kinda irks me when folks raise the writings of the Old Testament up to the level of Jesus' teachings - Like Onanism ... (birth control). And Romans.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Awww poor baby. Is someone doing something you don't like that has absolutely zero affect on you, except for daring to offend your perverted decencies?

This has nothing to do with you. They did something private, a right afforded to billions of other people around the world. They're not waiting for you in a public bathroom somewhere, uneasily adjusting their rosaries.

If you are upset with Christians interpreting the bible to suit their own agendas, why on EARTH are you going to be a Catholic? Remember how you weren't allowed to eat meat on fridays, but now you are? That's EXACTLY what you claim to be upset with, yet as it doesn't involve two guys getting off with each other, somehow that manages to slip under your Outrage-O-Meter. Weird - it's almost as if you're not actually objecting to this because it's unChristian, but because you're abjectly homophobic.

I apologise if you're not, but that's the only explanation for someone who professes to want to be a Catholic, and yet who has a problem with people interpreting the bible to suit their way of life, when it is gay folks. Clearly there is some other reasoning than changing the bible, as that's all the Catholic church has done since its inception.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It's so funny to see "christians" show their true hate whenever something like this happens. I am christian. I am not a bible scholar, but i do know all of the following to be true:

The book of Romans speaks out against Homosexuality. The old testament speaks out against homosexuality, and the book of Leviticus speaks out against homosexuality. They also speak out against eating meat on certain days. They also speak out against other laws that, back in era of their conception, were against divine law...(and no longer are)

AND

The bible also says

"let the one without sin, throw the first stone" meaning "if you are without sin, then you can judge the sinful" Since we're all sinners, we cannot cast judgement (but a lot of christians fail to see it that way)

Jesus said in Matthew:
What you hold true on earth, I'll see it held true in heaven.

Jesus was a wise man, beyond millenia (he is the son of God after all) and understood that society evolves and so does understanding of law and morality. Now this is not to say that morality "declines".

So, 2000 years ago, homosexuality was no where near as widely known as it is today. With the internet/ cable TV / etc etc etc, the world is as big as a pin head, and there are very few taboo's left in the world to declare "sinfun"

If we, as a society, hold it true that Gay Marriage is good, then Jesus, in his own words, will hold it true in heaven.

Even if you dont believe me in that

Jesus Christ never taught you to hate the sinner. Jesus christ taught passionate understanding and compassion for your fellow person. Love one another, don't hate.

Telling Gay ppl they can't marry is like saying "im better than you" and thats called vanity. Vanity is one God's foretold seven deadly sins.

Are you so Vain that you will be willing to stand before your maker on the eve of your death, and explain to God why you hated gay people?

new topics

top topics

join