It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 Barbury Castle crop circle: pi solved?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Recently a crop circle appeared at Barbury Castle which astrophysicist Mike Reed noticed was a depiction of pi.

larger image

On looking at the Barbary Castle pattern the ratio of the angles of the radial jumps is apparently the first ten (10) digits of the mathematical constant Pi ( the ratio of the of circumference of a circle to the diameter)
source

I found this absolutely fascinating, and wondered if someone was trying to tell us something. And even if it was a hoax, it's brilliant.

As I sat there staring at this crop circle trying to find different ways of interpreting it, I decided to open up Photoshop and recreate the diagram myself. Except instead of drawing lines, I filled in the spaces.

larger image

Notice that where the 3 starts, it's on the same line as where the number ends (4) on the outside of the pattern. I wondered if there was a way mathematically to connect the circle back to itself. After all, if the universe can do it effortlessly, then surely there's an answer in mathematics. Then I noticed something...

I had only counted the area that I filled in. What if I were to count it's opposite, the light spaces?

So I added the two numbers up... figured maybe 3.14 is just an infinite curve, so it's needs it's "other half" to connect the full circle.

3.141592654 + 7.969518456 = 11.11111111 / 10 = 1.111111111

So if 1.111111111 = 1, then 9 skips 10 and goes straight to 11.
Could it be so simple?

A dual nature in numbers seems to appear when the 0s are gone.

1 2 even
3 4
5 6
7 8
9 11 odd
12 13
14 15
16 17
18 19
21 22 even
23 24
25 26
27 28
29 31 odd
32 33
34 35
36 37
38 39

A pattern emerges...

Add 0s and the pattern starts narrowing after the first 10 rather than continuing as above. Could this be it? A simple flaw in our number system?

Maybe I'm on to something, maybe not. If anything, I hope this can act as an inspiration for someone else to fill in the gaps.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by godismath

A pattern emerges...

Is it just me or does this image resemble a DNA chain? Could that be significant?
Great work godismath!

Natalie~

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Cool post, but I have no idea how you came up with the helix at the end.

Can you elaborate??

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Wow, you could have stumbled upon something big... fyi, I would normally be login in but...

Anyways... You might have found a very intresting pattern, and I regonize math talent in that. You should show that to a university or something... I have yet to seen talent like that in deciphering things like that

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i am no idiot...but i am going to need you to explain in a little further detail.

I understand how you get the helix...but before that....
(sorry).

Great concept...s and f

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I am not understanding it, but I am facinated. Please elaborate. Can't guarantee I will understand it even then, but please try.

That circle is divided just like an Astrology chart with the 12 houses. (which represent the sky at the moment of birth, which is an arc of time and of space) Each "slice" is 30 degrees.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by seagrass]

[edit on 14-6-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I would have to wonder who or what made the design and why. I have my own thoughts on what these things are and where they come from, but what would be the significance of the potential knowledge coming from the circle?

Is this knowledge of Pi an answer or question? Or is it really the existence of the designs themselves that are important?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
i am no idiot...but i am going to need you to explain in a little further detail.

I understand how you get the helix...but before that....
(sorry).

Great concept...s and f

I'll explain the "before that" part if you explain the helix!

The circle is made up of concentric rings that have "steps" in them. Each consecutive stepped section is a different size. The ratio of their sizes goes in the same sequence as pi. 3.1415... etc.

Now the next part about the 1.1111111 I totally don't get either.

So where does the helix come from???

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
the picture of the crop circle and the linkage doesn't work

this is a fascinating theory,and I'm not even going to pretend I understand it
I will,however,keep reading this thread with much interest.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Erm... Could you provide some reasoning behind your post? I don't understand how you got the helix, or the 1.111=1, or most of it in fact after you added the 2 numbers.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Here are the pictures:

Pictures from this site

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
An excellent post, starred and flagged.

Now if only my mathematic skills were as good, then maybe I could contribute, but I do understand a little of it and find it fascinating...

But for each answer we get, more questions unveil themselves...

Like: Who or what created the crop circle? What exactly is the creator of the crop circle trying to tell us?
Is our numerical system flawed?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I love math's beauty. Can you explain the double helix though?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Very interesting thread IMO. Starred!

Wish I knew more about math, but I'm only a sophomore (becoming junior soon) in high school. I'll keep following this thread as posters keep adding information to it, hopefully clearing up some things about this topic.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Sorry about the missing image. It seems to have gotten corrupted on the image server.

I'm afraid it may be hard for me to answer questions in a way that they can be properly understood. It's easier for me to explain with pictures than with just words, which is what I've already done. However, I'll try my best.

If you imagine 1 as 1.111111111, 9 as 9.999999999, then the tenth number would be 11.11111111.

If we assume that the circle has a dual nature (like everything else in the universe), then it would have to connect back to itself. You can't have complete pi, without both parts. So look at the diagram I made, count the dark areas, then the light areas. Now add these two numbers together (+pi and -pi).

Something of intrigue is that it follows a 2/3 ratio perfectly (40 shaded, 60 unshaded). This ratio cannot fit into 10, but it can fit into 11... or rather 11.11111111, but it's only 11.11111111 because we have a 10 on the calculator. Otherwise it would just be 11.

3.141592654 isn't the only number that's in the crop circle. 7.969518456 is there also.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
in essence, you propose a base 9 (or 9.999999...) system by removing the "zero" place.

it is an interesting idea, but you seem to be losing "0.11111111" for every number you advance. that would create a serious problem in drafting and architecture, would it not?

it is entirely possible that something like a quadridecimal math system might yield more answers than our decimal system....but it would seem that you just forgot about .11 of each whole number to make this system work.

Am i still misunderstanding?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If the crop circle was this easy for you to figure out then I'm sure it wasn't very hard for the Science nerds who made it in the first place.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Originally posted by godismath

A pattern emerges...

Is it just me or does this image resemble a DNA chain? Could that be significant?
Great work godismath!

Natalie~

This would also represent the SPIRAL GALAXY earth is in.

Added notation.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

How are you so sure it was made by "science nerds"?

I'm Skeptical of the Skeptics. I want proof. Photos, video, witneses, etc. of these "Science nerds".

Infact I think a whole new category could be created for anomalous phenomena, maybe even in cryptozoology. It could be a whole new cryptid, aka "The Science Nerd". I want evidence of these Nerds, not just hearsay and speculation.

[edit on 15/6/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I get it all except the helix..... maybe im missing something, or my brain is yet to click! .......wonderful thread

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join