It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This is all fine and dandy but i think something is being overlooked here: burning oil to run our cars, boats, planes...(the way we do it now) poisons our planet and the very air we breed.

I know there are scientist that claim global warming has nothing to do with the so called green house gasses. I for one believe it has a lot to do with it (then again, i'm no scientis), but we've all seen the pictures:

I think our joined effort should be aimed at eliminating the use of oil (or nuclear energy for that matter) to "fuel" our economy all together. Not looking for cheaper ways to continue wreaking havoc on our environment.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by sn00daard]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sn00daard

If the bugs are fed organic material that has grown in the atmosphere, then any by-product of theirs (in this case oil) would be carbon neutral when burnt. So any worries about CO2 output are unfounded.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by sn00daard

If the bugs are fed organic material that has grown in the atmosphere, then any by-product of theirs (in this case oil) would be carbon neutral when burnt. So any worries about CO2 output are unfounded.

no, i don't think it quite works like that. Vegetation takes in CO2 and locks it away for some period of time as the organic material builds up, either in landfills or elsewhere in the environment. Using it to produce petroleum and then burning that for energy would release the CO2 into the atmosphere relatively immediately. So you have more CO2 in the atmosphere, and less locked away in organic material.

The gross quantity of CO2 remains constant under a scheme like this, but there's still a question of how much is in organic material versus the quantity floating around in the atmosphere and contributing to the greenhouse effect.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by phl0gist0n]

[edit on 15-6-2008 by phl0gist0n]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
On the other hand if this was combined with some kind of government mandate for these bug-petroleum producers to keep a large quantity of feedstock in inventory for these bugs to consume, that might be a good way to lock away a lot of CO2 from the atmosphere. But that's a stretch. I think we all know that government isn't very good at managing that sort of thing.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

On a global scale that would be partially true i think.

However, have you looked at the pic I linked in my previous post? If we come to rely even more on oil than we already do, you will see much more of that, and not only in "distant" Asia. Also, as someone before me stated, this is not an instant process. This means the CO2 is in the air for a period of time before being filtered out by plants. Assuming the (vast majority of) scientist are right about CO2 being one of the gases that causes global warming, that would mean global warming would just continue. Possibly even worsen, since lower prices at the pump equates in more consumption. Economics 1on1 :p

Note also that CO2 isn't the only by-product, or greenhouse gas produced by the petroleum burned in our engines.
Carbon 83-87%
Hydrogen 10-14%
Nitrogen 0.1-2%
Oxygen 0.1-1.5%
Sulfur 0.5-6%
Metals

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
In India, they've been doing the Cow Dung thing for years to produce LPG gas for Cooking......today it's a huge backyard home industry. Don't be surprised if something really turns up as a Bug Petrol

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Bloody Insects .... pesky little things arent they .... nothing worse than a daddy long legs in your room all night .... no wonder I cant catch the little bastard if he's been on the petrol all the while!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
If Parabol's sources are correct, lets put the buggers to work on the floor of Congress and the Texas Ranch of G.W.Bush- we'll ecome the largest oil producing nation in the world.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Well if we produce more oil from bugs...

And Oil wells are refilling themselves with a yet unexplained source

And we are still discovering vast new resources yet untapped...

We will have a LOT of crude...

but still the same problem we have today

NO REFINERIES

So unless we can actually buy one of those SUV's that runs on crude oil...

Yeah you get my point

What I find hilarious is that everyone forgets that the diesel engine was invented to run on OTHER oils, not petroleum

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Yes I have heard of these. I think they're called OPEC.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Haven't you heard of "thermal depolymerisation process" (TDP)?

An experimental recycling plant in Philadelphia is turning waste from a nearby turkey factory into gas and oil. It could, in theory, convert any old kind of rubbish into fuel.

www.sovereignty.org.uk...

I say take the bugs and toss them in Mel's Hole.

With the technology to take any bio-garbage and process it for oil and gas, the use of bugs would just take jobs away. Are they illegal alien bugs? If we used TDP on just the agri-waste alone, we would extract as much oil anually as we are importing. Add Household items that we now pay to dispose of, used tires, and about everything else, (depleted uranium notwithstanding), My question is, Why is there only one plant doing this? I would've thought that in the five plus years this technology has been available, we by now should be able to defecate into our automobiles "Flux Converter" Back to The Future Delorean prototype), and run on down the road. Bugs? we don't need no stinking bugs!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol

Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol

www.timesonline.co.uk

He means bugs. To be more precise: the genetic alteration of bugs – very, very small ones – so that when they feed on agricultural waste such as woodchips or wheat straw, they do something extraordinary. They excrete crude oil.

Unbelievably, this is not science fiction. Mr Pal holds up a small beaker of bug excretion that could, theoretically, be poured into the tank of the giant Lexus SUV next to us.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Just wondering how many beakers of bugs you'd need to make
80 Million Barrels of oil Per Day. That's the current requirement.
I just can't see people having a still in the backyard.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Regardless of feasibility, news stories like this and anything else of this nature need to be pushed at the speculators. Make SURE those trading oil hear of these news stories... Exaggerate the stories if you have to.

Here's why.

The speculators aren't exactly intelligent, we have seen evidence of this. They will jump the gun to "speculate" a higher value of oil without any real evidence to support it. It's almost like a nervous trigger finger.

Solution.

Hence, if you make them believe that oil is in some way suddenly worthless... that any fool with a glass jar can suddenly make his own petrol for free... guess what happens to the cost of oil? It depreciates...

...and before you know it, you'll be paying your old price for gasoline again.

So, what WE need to do, is gather ALL articles of this nature... spin them in a way that makes the reader believe there's no need to pay for gasoline, and push to ensure the speculators read it!

[edit on 16-6-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Count me in!

Its right up our alley at Pegasus

Need to get:
List of all major new oil deposit discoveries say last five years alone

Need to account for capped wells all over the USA... get people in various states to drive around and collect pictures and talk to local reps

I heard today that there are THOUSANDS of capped wells under the ocean... (not had time to check this..

Find out exactly how many wells have reported 'filling themselves' after they were thought empty

So lets get to work...

Does anyone remember Standard Oil?

Prescott Bush, Rockefeller's and Standard Oil funded the NAZI's to power..

On October 28th, 1942, President Roosevelt signed orders to seize the assets of Union Banking Corporation under the "Trading With The Enemy Law". Union Banking Corporation was owned primarily by E. Roland ( Bunny ) Harriman and Prescott S. Bush. Prescott S. Bush is the grandfather of the current President, George Walker Bush. George, his 18-year-old son George, the future U.S. President, had just begun training to become a naval pilot.

www.dldewey.com...

There is a law known as the Trading with the Enemy Act. The U.S. government took over the Union Banking Corporation. The U.S. Alien Property Custodian seized Union Banking Corp.'s stock shares. All of the corporations stock were owned by either Prescott S. Bush, E. Roland Bunny Harriman, three Nazi executives, and two other associates of Preston S. Bush.

www.dldewey.com...

This is the background of the Bush Dynasty... Where is the family today?

WHAT IS EUGENICS?

Eugenics programs in the U.S. were publicly acknowledged by Hitler as the model for what eventually became the Nazi program of mandatory euthanasia. Eugenics was the forcible sterilization of more than 350,000 German citizens and ultimately the final the Holocaust. It was the Rockefeller family and their long-time business associates, the Bush and Harriman families who were Wall Street partners in financing Hitler, whose institutions and foundations inspired both the U.S. and the Nazi eugenics laws. What U.S. Eugenic laws you ask?

www.dldewey.com...

George Herbert Walker and Prescott S. Bush were active in the leadership of the eugenics societies that were popular among the wealthy classes in the first half of the twentieth century. Prescott Bush was the Connecticut director of the Mental Hygiene Society which originated at Yale University in 1908. The headquarters of the American Eugenics Society was also at Yale and also the home of the Order of Skull & Bones until its relocation to and merger in 1952 with the Population Council, which was founded by John D. Rockefeller and John Foster Dulles, lawyer for Brown Brothers Harriman.

www.dldewey.com...

ROCKEFELLERS STANDARD OIL

Rockefeller's Standard Oil was half owner of IG Farben the chemical and munitions company which formed the industrial basis of the Third Reich and which built and operated 40 slave labor death camps including Auschwitz. IG Farben likewise owned half of Standard Oil. Bet you didn't know that. Standard oil owned by Nazis!

Most of the world's current leading drug companies such as Bayer were once part of IG Farben. Today, Rockefeller's Exxon/Mobil (formerly Standard Oil) is the world's largest corporation, with his JP Morgan Chase and Citigroup. These two banks financed the Enron scandal.

www.dldewey.com...

You need to read that whole paper... and remember that the Enron investigation was housed in WTC 7

STANDARD OIL - EXXON/MOBILE

Just what do they own? This is a must read...

Standard Oil : Today
www.us-highways.com...

Now I hope you see how all this is tied together... I have been working on adding more 'links' to this chain... but as you can see... there is no NWO... its only the Old World Order doing business as usual

So Still want to go up against the Oil Thugs?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LEAP STICK
Just wondering how many beakers of bugs you'd need to make
80 Million Barrels of oil Per Day. That's the current requirement.

Not my current requirement

I just can't see people having a still in the backyard.

Why not? Many are working on air cars, hydrogen cells and other alternatives in thier garages and backyards... And you can go to McDonald's and ask to take their used cooking grease... strain it, and pour it into your diesel gas tank...

So having a crop of bugs to spew oil is no different than having a bee hive to make honey... I hope these bugs don't bite or sting

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by leearco
I think woodchips or wheat straw for oil is not necessarily better than say cleaner energy like solar and wind.

Well actually it is. You are simply re-cycling what is already in the "system". The only puzzle is what happens to the nitrogen. Presumably the bugs excrete nitrous oxide or methane? as a waste product.

whether this will work on a commercial scale is unknown at present, I think. We would need an awful lot to replace oil especially with a 10 fold increase in cars due to India and China's increasing affluence.

Still this is far far better than growing crops specifically for fuel.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Yes I have heard of these. I think they're called OPEC.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I dont know if you have heard, there is an Australian company that has developed a method to make diesel from plastic.

A friend of mine showed me a video of the process, apparently they are doing trial runs here in the UK

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join