It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI@home Project Ending?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I've heard from several different people now that SETI is going to be ending! When is this going to happen and why is SETI@home ending?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
it is transfering to BOINC..... please read the threads about BOINC in this forum section.

xn

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The current Seti@home will be ending near. But that doesn't mean it's over. They'll be switching to BOINC, which is even better. BOINC is a framework. Once you sign up for Seti@home on BOINC, you'll receive a key (string of numbers and letters) so you could attach to this project. If you're already a Seti@home user, Berkeley will automatically do this for you. Here's how BOINC works: Create BOINC account for each project (Seti@home, AstroPulse, etc.), then download the software (BOINC), then when you run the software, you attach to the project by putting the project url in and the key you received. BOINC will then download the actual program required to do the processing and the workunits. The good thing about BOINC is that it updates itself whenever new software is available (like Seti@home, etc.), you could download as much workunits as you want, you could join a bunch of projects besides Seti@home, like AstroPulse (looking for Black Holes and more), Folding@home will be moving to BOINC shortly after the release (which is near). The credit system will be different though. It doesn't count the credit in "workunits done", but "credit". At least 2 computers have to process the same workunit you're working on before you get any credit. I think this is done so people can't cheat by sending the same workunit results over and over again. Check out my BOINC thread for all the latest updates.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xn
At least 2 computers have to process the same workunit you're working on before you get any credit.

If that happens, looks like my SETI days are numbered...

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xn
At least 2 computers have to process the same workunit you're working on before you get any credit.

I dont think I am going to go buy a 2nd computer lol

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I have 2 already, but I don't want to run my laptop all the time.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by pyxsul]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xn

do both the computers have to be yours or can 2 different users process the same workunit for it to count as complete?

xn

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What I mean by "at least 2 computers have to process the workunit" is your computer and 2 other computers in the world have to process the workunit. It then compares the results and then gives you credit.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
That's uhh, not cool.

I like the system that SETI is using now.

top topics

join