It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wiretaps 'R' Us: Is The FBI Tracking Your Cell Phone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Wiretaps 'R' Us: Is The FBI Tracking Your Cell Phone?

www.globalresearch.ca

Does the FBI track cellphone users' physical movements without a warrant? Does the Bureau store recordings of innocent Americans caught up in wiretaps in a searchable database? Does the FBI's wiretap equipment store information like voicemail passwords and bank account numbers without legal authorization to do so? ("Secret Spy Court Repeatedly Questions FBI Wiretap Network," Wired, June 11, 2008)

According to Singel, during a series of inquiries in 2005-2006 the secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court repeatedly questioned the legality of Bureau electronic surveillance operations that targeted Americans. These revelations came to light in newly declassified documents obtained by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF).

The spy court inquired whether the FBI was using so-called "pen register" orders to "collect digits dialed after a call is made, potentially including voicemail passwords and account numbers entered into bank-by-phone applications," Singel writes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Awesome.

So the next time all you ATSer's here that funny "clicking" sound on your cell phone, stop and say, "Hi gov guy!"

They've got to keep staying on top of all the "homegrown terrorists" that are on their "main core" list for the initial round-ups!

Woo-hoo!

Heil to the fascist Police state!

lol

Coming on the heels of revelations of the FBI's abuse of so-called National Security Letters to obtain electronic and financial records during "terrorism investigations," the documents outline a systematic pattern by the Bureau to skirt the law. Wired reports,

Among other things, the declassified documents reveal that lawyers in the FBI's Office of General Counsel and the Justice Department's Office of Intelligence Policy Review queried FBI technology officials in late July 2006 about cellphone tracking. The attorneys asked whether the FBI was obtaining and storing real-time cellphone-location data from carriers under a "pen register" court order that's normally limited to records of who a person called or was called by.

You read that right: real-time cellphone-location data from carriers.

So make sure to send your telecom carrier a special thanks for their co-complicity in this latest violation of what little civil liberties you have left...

In 2006, Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court judge Coleen Kollar-Kottely ordered the FBI to report how its phone wiretapping network known as Digital Collection System, handled information it obtained illegally and whether it stored them in its centralized data-mining repository known as Telephone Application. Wired further reports that FBI documents show that

the majority of FBI offices surveyed internally were collecting that information without full-blown wiretap orders, especially in classified investigations. The documents also indicate that the information was being uploaded to the FBI's central repository for wiretap recordings and phone records, where analysts can data-mine the records for decades.

www.globalresearch.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Glad your posting this, but it's really nothing new.

The FBI has been doing warrantless phone taps, "legally," since the OKC bombing. They got a big wish list approved that has gone largely unnoticed.

If it is legal for them to listen in without a warrant, then it is legal for them to gather all and any information from listening in. I would assume this would also include dial-up internet connections, DSL, and maybe even cable if you have a phone on the package.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Not worried about it you know why?Even before this war on terrorism i voiced my political views and have NEVER been harassed by local law enforement nor the govt intelligence agencies.Why?Because they are busy fighting real threats than a citizen who not happy with his life.Yes prices of food is rising as is fuel but im adapting very well thank you.Sometimes when life throws you a curve ball,you adapt with it.
AL-QAEDA and the TALIBAN would have shot those who disagree with their views.

John Mccain 08!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Justice11

Why?Because they are busy fighting real threats ...

Oh yeah, sure, like the Max Hardcore witch-hunt?

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
For those who are really concerned about having their mobile tapped, and have something left in their piggy bank, there is a great solution at: www.sigillu.com

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Here's what I know about my cell phone. It drives me nuts.

I put it on my end table and the next thing I know my radio clock is buzzing and making weird sounds so much that I have to turn my phone off.

If my phone gets next to my computer my computer goes nuts. I had to keep it away from other electronics or it would make a buzzing sound.

I said to my husband theirs the government downloading my conversations again!!! Especially when out of nowhere it would just act like it would come on like the light, lights up and then buzz sound.

I was so fed up with it. I traded it in. This one is not as bad about it but still does it. I’m with At&t. Don’t know if that makes a difference.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
Here's what I know about my cell phone. It drives me nuts.

I put it on my end table and the next thing I know my radio clock is buzzing and making weird sounds so much that I have to turn my phone off.

If my phone gets next to my computer my computer goes nuts. I had to keep it away from other electronics or it would make a buzzing sound.

I said to my husband theirs the government downloading my conversations again!!! Especially when out of nowhere it would just act like it would come on like the light, lights up and then buzz sound.

I was so fed up with it. I traded it in. This one is not as bad about it but still does it. I’m with At&t. Don’t know if that makes a difference.

Mobiles do that, simply because they are part of a cell network, and as signal strength varies, they often resync with a stronger signal on a different cell transmitter. So they negotiate with it. It also happens just before you get a call, because the signal strength increases as the phone receives it.

If you have the ability to see where you are on your phone, like we do in Australia at least where it shows you what suburb you are in based on the location of the cell you are synced with, you will often find that one minute you may be in suburb x, then as you walk across the room, find you are in suburb y.

The same thing happens when you get 'no signal' when you are out of reach of a cell, as soon as you come within range, if you have your phone near a radio it will make a buzzing noise, and you will hear it negotiating with the cell to sync you with it.

It has nothing to do with any government listening in on you. it's just how mobile phones work.

Your new one may do it less, as different providers vary in cell location and signal strength, but it will happen regardless, and it's just how they work.

new topics

top topics

join