It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Gun laws?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I know gun laws are alot more strict in canada then in the states, my questions is... What guns can i legaly buy and own in canada? I am not the greatest at doing reaserch on stuff like that and if it matters from provence to provence I am from Nova Scotia. I was looking to get some type of assault rifel, maby a ak or m16 or a reduced version to make them legal (Probobly not likley here). I would like to have to option for both automatic and single shot (for acuracy and ammo saving). But most likley I can probobly only get a hand gun or somehting... But i can dream can't I?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Noone farmilar with ths subject? would be helpful.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
First off if you want to hunt with a firearm.
www.gov.ns.ca...
To buy any gun in Canada you need a Possession and Acquisition License (PAL). To get one you need to pay a stiff fee, undergo a criminal check and pass a gun handling course, among other things. Once you have done everything, which usually takes several months, they still make you wait another 30 days. If you want to buy a handgun they usually require that you show you have a current membership in a shooting club with a range approved for handguns. If you say you are buying it for collection purposes you have to fill out some forms showing our knowledge and willingness to undergo inspections, etc. and be approved as a collector by the Chief Provincial Firearms Officer (not automatic). When you buy a handgun you phone in the information and then a week, a month or sometimes more later they mail you a registration certificate and you can apply for a permit to pick it up or have it delivered. If you follow up by phone you may be able to get the permit before the registration certificate arrives in the mail.

An additional complication is our ban on handguns with barrels under 105mm (4.14”). Those who owned such handguns when the ban came in can keep them and buy and sell amongst themselves, but no new owners are allowed and no new “short-barreled” handguns are allowed into the country.
You cannot get automatic or assault rifles in Canada.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I don't think they let you have any of that stuff in Canada. In the US its slowly being phased out to the point where its only going to be what you already have. Our gun makers were going bankrupt from all the cheap imports coming in so they will likely end up being all made in the US soon.

I think in Canada you could get a 357 revolver and a matching 357 lever action rifle and that is about it unless you want a hunting rifle bolt action or something.

Pretty sure no gas operated semis or autos are legal there.

Go to the gun shop and see what they have and ask questions. There may be some sort of permit possession allowed for things they can't sell to the public.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Heres a link for all the info you need.
www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the replys, i was prety sure we werent aloud to get automatics after i saw in the newspaper about a gun seisure with assault rifels and uzi's. I have definetly seen my share of ilegal weapons here though (live in a "ghetto" area) and have come into contact with shotguns, assault rifels and uzis. This was when i was younger and had contact with those type of people who can get guns ilegaly. I believe i can still get a shotgun, handgun or a uzi illegaly but the Assault Rifel would be hard. not to mention id be facing ALOT of jail time so its not on the top of my list of ways to get what i want (definetly a last resort if thing turn realy bad realy quick)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
You have to look into certain aspects of the gun laws.There is ways around them.Like our grandfather clause made it illegal companies to manufacture 30 rd mags.But you can still buy them.Im really surprised by your countries low death rate from firearms.But i can see why with the strick gun control.Like Illahee said speak with a gun store owner is the best bet.Maybe he can give u ideas to get what best suits your needs.Goodluck bro.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

yeah, it sucks how they make the restrictions so hard to read, they should just have a list of guns that can be bought legaly, a list of guns with restrictions and a list of guns you cant buy at all.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well i own a mini 14 and i love the fact we can buy assault rifles.Even with the laws we cant have folding stocks.But who cares about folding stocks?Im not on the Ateam tv show.I molded my ruger to suit me and i love it.I was even surprised by going to ontario before and remember seeing cops dont carry handguns on them.Thats interesting i wonder cause of the low crime rate.You can always become a us citizen,sounds weird but true is thats a extent one wants to take.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
strange :S all the cops where i live still have guns... Although ive never seen anything more than a pistol carried by them.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
They really are a pain in the ass. I'm in Canada and it's really stupid. When you want to take a training course to have a permit, you need to wait about 3 months because everywhere it's full.

A criminal won't give a flying fark about all those things, he'll just go to the black market. If you just find at the good place, you can buy a black market gun in an hour, DUH.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Never mind Canada, they want to ban the right to bear arms under the American Constitution ... how many school / college / shopping mall masacres does it take to change the law

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
They need to make stiffer firearm requirements to purchase a firearm.I don't think the NRA would ever allow that to happen.As far as changing the constitution,once thats done are we even Americans?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
They need to make stiffer firearm requirements to purchase a firearm.I don't think the NRA would ever allow that to happen.As far as changing the constitution,once thats done are we even Americans?

NO WAY!

We as Americans do NOT need stricter laws regulating the acquisition of firearms; what we DO need is more training on the safe handling of them!

In modern day America, people are taught to fear guns. This sort of learning has taught younger generations a feeling of empowerment by possessing one. 100 years ago, firearms were sold in hardware stores - they are simply tools to get a job done.

Everyone who owns a firearm should be required to take initial training, just like we are made to in order to get a driver's license.

And anyone who owns a firearm should take it upon themselves to regularly practice as well as spreading the knowledge of gun safety to those who are not as experienced.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think Texas and Florida gun laws are easy for someone to purchase a firearm as it gets.Yes your statements is true with safety courses etc.That still don't stop the fact of people that i known in the past,who purchased guns in fact shouldn't have been able to obtain them.Most states require a federal and state background checks.Some people pass the federal and don't pass the state.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

That still don't stop the fact of people that i known in the past,who purchased guns in fact shouldn't have been able to obtain them.
[edit on 15-6-2008 by alienstar]

But... couldn't you say the same thing about a driver's license?

My point is that people are expected to be less responsible for themselves as long as the government says 'go for it'.

How many times have you heard someone proclaim they are the world's greatest driver - only because they haven't been in an accident? Dumb logic.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Id rather see someone with no logic in how to handle a firearm then someone who's a convicted felon with a violent background have a gun.At least common sense states most people know if they pull the trigger a round is going to come out.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Id rather see someone with no logic in how to handle a firearm then someone who's a convicted felon with a violent background have a gun.At least common sense states most people know if they pull the trigger a round is going to come out.

Well, that's a given - I'm sure you can see that I am pro-gun rights... but that's something I believe in as well. People convicted of violent crimes should not have legal access to them.

However, I do not believe in restricting people convicted of a felony as a whole. A 'felony' is defined as any charge that carries 365 days or more prison term. Only a small percentage of convicted felons have committed a violent crime.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'm sure there are many convicted felons who think they deserve the right to own a gun and could be trusted.But the federal government don't want to take chance on it.Firearms are used to commit as many as 650,000 crimes each year.Police arrest 220,000 people a year on weapons violations.Thats some staggering numbers.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
You have some incorrect information there. The U.S. is not giving up its weaponry, at least before this election. I live in a southern state and just recently purchesed 2 GLOCK pistols from the gun store that is about 4 minutes from my house. Inside said gun store they have a large assortment of guns and ammo ranging from .22's to a .50 BMG sniper rifle, they sell anything and everything you could possibly imagine from laser sights to high capacity magazines. The reason that U.S. citizens are allowed to buy firearms is to keep our government in check, as it is supposed to fear its people. The whole reason we have our guns is so the government cant take our rights from us, and if you have ever been inside a gun store or a gun show, at least where i live, you would see that the U.S. is a nation of gun loving persons who will NOT let our country be invaded by foreign nations, or submit to any tyranical movements by the government.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by AgentG]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join