It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Police Nicked by Copyright Cop for Playing Radio Too Loud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

UK Police Nicked by Copyright Cop for Playing Radio Too Loud

arstechnica.com

The Performing Rights Society (PRS), which collects royalties for musicians in the UK, has accused Lancashire police of committing copyright infringement by playing music in police stations and to callers on hold without an appropriate license. In a writ submitted to the High Court, the PRS has called for an injunction and payment of damages.

The PRS contends that playing music that is audible to others constitutes a public performance, meaning that it can't be done without a license. The Lanca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Geez, this copyright crap is getting waaayyyy out of hand!

I never realized these laws were sooo strict in the UK! You actually have to have a license to play music on the phone when people are on hold?

PRS took similar action against car repair chain Kwik-Fit last year, demanding payment of £200,000 in damages simply because car mechanics frequently played their radios loud enough for others to overhear. PRS insists on a license regardless of the means by which the music is performed, so those of you in the UK had better think twice before humming a tune within earshot of another human being.

This is just ridiculous!

So, i guess if your driving down the road with the music up loud enough that somebody outside of your car can hear it, you would have to have a special license or you could get fined!

The radio stations pay a license fee to be able to broadcast music so other people can hear it already, now they want every person who plays the radio loud enough for somebody else to hear it to also pay a fee?

That is utterly ridiculous!

This has GOT to be greed at its WORST!

They are taking this copyright issue way too far!

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/14/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Molestation scandals are even more preposterous. One million dollars for being called a slut by a coworker? I don't think so.

These lawyers are trying to get every dime out of you regarless of your wealth.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just think this Performing Rights Society has taken things way toooo far!

Somebody can overhear your radio so you have to buy a license to listen to your radio?

Ridiculous!

A lot of times the US will follow the UK's lead, letting them enact these laws and see how the public accepts them and then follow suite and create a similiar law.

I would really hate to see this law in the US!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Keyhole,

They might try it but they would be facing a backlash the likes this country would never forget. Lawsuits and court chalenges for suppresion of ethnic rights is just one I can think of. Trying to take the music from the airways would be deadly to the music business here. Am I going to hve to draw my curtains next if i turn on my TV. If I have friends over to watch a NASCAR race am I going to have to buy a license. The anti-gunners here screamed bloody murder about gunfights in the streets on the issue of concealed carry here. They may be right should some Bozo pass a law like the PRS here. Believe me!!!

Zindo

top topics

join