It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocky Water Source (forcing water out of rock)* ... my note

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Rocky Water Source (forcing water out of rock)* ... my note

www.terradaily.com

Gypsum, a rocky mineral is abundant in desert regions where fresh water is usually in very short supply but oil and gas fields are common. Writing in International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, Peter van der Gaag of the Holland Innovation Team, in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, has hit on the idea of using the untapped energy from oil and gas flare-off to release the water locked in gypsum.

Fresh water resources are scarce and will be more so with the effects of global climate change. Finding alternative sources of water is an increasingly pressing issue for policy makers the world over. Gypsum, explains van der Gaag could be one such resource. He has discussed the technology with people in the Sahara who agree that the idea could help combat water shortages, improve irrigation, and even make some deserts fertile.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This is really interesting and has the potential of being very important as well... In places like the American southwest and the Sahara especially.

I added a note to the title to make its subject matter more clear.

www.terradaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Errr wow. Putting water production from gypsum in the hands of the oil companies isn't exactly the best idea I've ever heard. Then we'd have gaping wounds in the earth from all the gypsum mining. The only reason flares are constantly burning is because natural gas is usually burnt off instead of harvested and liquified. Depending on one industry to support another isn't the best idea. I get the concept and how it works, it just doesn't seem very economically viable.

-ChriS

[edit on 14-6-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Generally I would agree with you... and think perhaps it could be done some other way but there are parts where this would be a great benefit.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
We may be able to use geothermal to make water from gypsum. To me that seems a much more reliable energy source anyway, and if these industries were to be running operations on the same ground, it would inevitably result in lawsuits and competition at the site,etc.. With Geothermal, That whole situation can be bypassed and the site can go to the gypsum, not the other way around. All you need is a hole deep enough to create the kind of heat and energy you are looking for. You could even "steam off" the water from the actual rocks and then turn the steam into water. The whole time you would have a geothermal source to use for all your energy needs for the entire process.

-ChriS

new topics

top topics

join