It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists believe in God!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I just want to say that i believe in science and evolution AND i also believe in God. All you hardcore scientists crack me up if you say there is no god, i mean its really funny! check this; when a scientist 'crosses his fingers' in the hope his experiment is a success, who or what the hell is he 'hoping' to? holla...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
hmmmm, so because you believe in science and evolution your a scientist?
Have I missed something or is that what you implied with your title?

Also, there is a fundamental difference between hoping for something and praying for something. You seem to have the two confused.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
praying and hoping are the same thing!!! think about it. I never said i was a scientist, i just agree with them on evolution and physics, and cos i beleive in god dont neccessarily mean i beleive in the old testament...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Holla? What the hell does that mean?

Praying and hoping are by definition certainly NOT the same thing.

Hope is an internal feeling that you want something to happen.
Prayer is externally asking the invisible man who lives in the sky to do it for you.

Also, where is the conspiracy angle here? It seems to me like you just wanted to come in and state a fact without giving any evidence.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by v4vendetta

Sorry, but I dissagree.

Hope does not imply any religious connotations what-so-ever, only a longing for an event which is out of the hoper's control, to transpire as desired.

Prayer is similar but in this instance the attention and intention is aimed at the deity of your choice, your asking for help.

I don't want you to think I'm having a pop at you, I'm not, I just think this is an important distinction to make and to understand.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
i get you bruv! but i kind of accept everybody's religions (including scientists) and when "I" pray im not asking for god to do anything cos i know its up to me to do whatever it is, so in a way im also hoping. i still reckon prayer and hope are the same thing. hope is just a scientific word for it...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

holla means; get back to me.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hey!

At least 40% of scientists will admit they believe anyway here check this survey out Religious Belief Amoung Scientists Stable for 80 Years

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
cheers. how much of this universe is still unknown to scientists? quite a lot... thats my point

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   

um....so?
we've only had a few hundred years and we've learned quite a bit...but the universe is an awfully big place and thinking that you could ever know every nook and cranny of the universe is folly...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Scientists believe in god? You make it sound as though Science is the antithesis of religion. It is not. It is the antithesis of ignorance, superstition, and dogma.

The very man who came up with the scientific method which we still use today was a devout Muslim.

Ibn al-Haytham

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
the title of this thread was scientist believe in god,
now i wanna ask what the difference between praying and hoping is?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by v4vendetta
the title of this thread was scientist believe in god,
now i wanna ask what the difference between praying and hoping is?

This thread doesn't belong here really, but I'll answer anyway. Perhaps science & tech. Maybe even Psychology, philosophy etc.

Praying I assume is targetted at some supernatural agent? Hoping can be various things - mainly favouring an outcome. I hope that humanity can tackle the problem of climate change and our ever increasing negative impacts on the environment.

So, what is the difference? One, praying, is targetted to some supernatural thing in the aim it will act to produce a favoured outcome by supernatural intervention. T'other, hoping, is really looking into the future and favouring a particular outcome. In this case, I am hoping that other people eventually fully grasp and act on a particular issue, but I don't expect my mere thoughts to influence this outcome.

One wants miracles from supernatural intervention. T'other wants real-world agents/events to act a particular way we prefer - just a favoured outcome. So, in sum, One isn't expecting our mere mental action (or ritualistic behaviour) to influence the real-world outcome.

Similarly, superstitious behaviour also aims to influence outcomes by irrelevant (causally unrelated) actions or thoughts (i.e., crossing fingers, lucky underpants).

So, there is a difference between,

'yeah, real-world outcome x would be good, I hope the future brings that situation'

and

'yeah, real-world outcome x would be good, [please mr. leprechaun on my shoulder please see it in your little Irish heart to let that happen]/[if I wear my red underpants this will more likely happen]/[if I concentrate really hard and say 'Oom' this is more likely to happen]'.

And, tbh, if a scientist expects supernatural intervention in their experimental studies, they suck. It's the complete opposite to what science is about. Would a research group replicating the study also have to perfrom the superstitious behaviour of wearing red-underpants to produce the same experimental outcome...

Suppose if it was repeatable, we'd have a new physical force from red-underpants. Perhaps the Law of Red-undies.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
hope: the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best

prayer: a devout petition to God or an object of worship.

I hope this helps overcome any confusion.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
ok. thanks for clearing it up. did you get that from the dictionary?
but for me, personally, i reckon they're the same thing.
what about for you, personally?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Personally, I tend to use words as they are defined in the dictionary.

It helps make sure other people understand what you are saying.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Let me put this in purely humanistic terms so even the ATT members might understand.

Consider that people of faith and who pray do get the psychological benefit of hope as a result. It may not even be a rational hope by worldly standards. However, I actually think hope can affect the outcome of the future by the way it influences the one who has hope. People that have hope have a positive attitude. They will "hang in there" during difficult times. They will pray instead of just quitting. In other words a person with no faith or hope, will give up and quit while a person faith and hope will stick it out. Winners never quit and quitters never win.

[edit on 6/16/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If the words mean the same to you, that shows just how critical your thinking is. Hint: Not at all.

[edit on 16/6/08 by dave420]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by v4vendetta
I just want to say that i believe in science and evolution AND i also believe in God. All you hardcore scientists crack me up if you say there is no god, i mean its really funny! check this; when a scientist 'crosses his fingers' in the hope his experiment is a success, who or what the hell is he 'hoping' to? holla...

believing in god is one thing, but what god do you believe in?

do you believe the god who came into a son of man and died for our sins?

alot of people say they believe in god, but without belief in what jesus is and stood for and died for, your belief will get you nowhere

now if its a different god, then, thats upto you and what he asks of you

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Luckily that's just your opinion, and not the result of someone's research. If wishful thinking has any part to play in any endeavour, it's not scientific, or, indeed, logical.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join