It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life's Raw Materials May Have Come From The Stars, Scientists Confirm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Scientists have confirmed for the first time that an important component of early genetic material which has been found in meteorite fragments is extraterrestrial in origin, in a paper published on 15 June 2008.

The team discovered the molecules in rock fragments of the Murchison meteorite, which crashed in Australia in 1969.

So if this is the case, how much more of these material are hurtling through space and how many planets might they have crashed on.

This confirms for me that there must be life elswhere. Sure some of it must have landed on 'dead' planets, but surely there is more than one rock out there.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Sorry. Here is a link

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
MAY?

Of course it did... all of us, everything on this planet is composed of star dust.

As for genetic material on a meteorite that landed on planet... how would they be able to separate out the contamination from just landing here and the original stuff?

To verify this I would assume that you would have to find some on a meteorite in space.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I am pretty sure these guys would be pretty thorough with their testing. Althought the story soesnt actually say so, I would even guess that they took samples from within the rock so there would be no contamination.

It would be safe to say they would make sure they used samples that had no Kangaroo poo on it.

Between 3.8 to 4.5 billion years ago large numbers of rocks similar to the Murchison meteorite rained down on Earth at the time when primitive life was forming. The heavy bombardment would have dropped large amounts of meteorite material to the surface on planets like Earth and Mars.[/ex[

new topics

top topics

join