It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scrap The UN - - - Poll

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I get alot of slack for wanting to do away with the UN and I understand the sentiment so I will tell you why I think it should be scraped....

Time and again the UN has proved itself to be incapable of undertaking decisive action to mantain international peace and security, for many reasons. For one thing the annual budget is 2.6 billion dollars, approx. 1/2 that of South Dakota's budget, and the UN doesnt have the resources to carry out its mandates. For another, member nations, including the United States have often put their own national interest above those of the international community.
Finally the UN is structurally flawed in that all nations are elgible for membership regardless of size, financial contribution(that US pays the majority of, including its NY building), or political system. How can the UN possibly reach a consensus on a policy decision when member nations, such as the US and North Korea hold diverse views on human rights, democracy and nuclear proliferation? In effect when bold action is called for the UN is paralyzed into inaction by conflicting political cultures and assessments of international dangers - and what should be done about them.Why should America, the only remaining superpower, put it's forieng policy under a institution that functions so imperfectly?

We dont need a International debacle like the UN to cooperate with people who want freedom and justice as we do.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yes, U.N. was incapable of stoping many wars, but look at the bright side, it has done things that wouldn't have been otherwise achieved.

They don't just specialize in politics, but also in a numerous other fields, such as Health, Hunger and many more.

Without them, the world, especially the undeveloped nations would be deep in, you know what.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I agree with that and the UN has served well in that regard, but as far as international policies and mandates on nations who refuse to follow resolutions set forth by the UN, they are incapable of handling those situations and the world knows it. If the UN was turned strictly into a peace keeping, health, hunger organization I wouldnt have a problem with them....Its that America is usually the nation that supplies the majority of medical good, food and peace keepers yet we are the bad guys if we step in to enforce the resolutions and we are the bad guys if we dont supply the food or medical supplies.
Its nothing more than a stage to headhunt and put the US down. I simply believe it is in our best interest to get out of the UN, unless of course they do turn into a humanatarian force instead of trying to eb a military force.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think we should keep the UN. It is always better to have a place for the representitives of nations to get together.

It is not alway effective, but it is better than nothing.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
U.N. would turn into strictly peace keeping force, if all the nations would live in peace and don't fight, which is not going to happen in a million years.

If U.N. would simply be peace keeping force, we would have a lot of wars today, for example lot of border fights between India and Pakistan.

Once upon a time they were brothers, now enemies, who is to stop them from fighting? U.S.? No, U.S. mostly gets involved only where it can profit, and even if it gets involved, it would have to take sides.

Only a truly neutral side can stop wars, like U.N. which is not a country.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I say all of us ATS members unite, conquer the galaxy in the name of the truth. Then, we interrogate the old world leaders, spill the beans, and we go on a rampage. afer that, we party.

so the point is, ditch the UN and let ATS rule all

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
I get alot of slack for wanting to do away with the UN and I understand the sentiment so I will tell you why I think it should be scraped....

Time and again the UN has proved itself to be incapable of undertaking decisive action to mantain international peace and security, for many reasons. For one thing the annual budget is 2.6 billion dollars, approx. 1/2 that of South Dakota's budget, and the UN doesnt have the resources to carry out its mandates. For another, member nations, including the United States have often put their own national interest above those of the international community.
Finally the UN is structurally flawed in that all nations are elgible for membership regardless of size, financial contribution(that US pays the majority of, including its NY building), or political system. How can the UN possibly reach a consensus on a policy decision when member nations, such as the US and North Korea hold diverse views on human rights, democracy and nuclear proliferation? In effect when bold action is called for the UN is paralyzed into inaction by conflicting political cultures and assessments of international dangers - and what should be done about them.Why should America, the only remaining superpower, put it's forieng policy under a institution that functions so imperfectly?

We dont need a International debacle like the UN to cooperate with people who want freedom and justice as we do.

and..

Originally posted by Dreamz
I agree with that and the UN has served well in that regard, but as far as international policies and mandates on nations who refuse to follow resolutions set forth by the UN, they are incapable of handling those situations and the world knows it. If the UN was turned strictly into a peace keeping, health, hunger organization I wouldnt have a problem with them....Its that America is usually the nation that supplies the majority of medical good, food and peace keepers yet we are the bad guys if we step in to enforce the resolutions and we are the bad guys if we dont supply the food or medical supplies.
Its nothing more than a stage to headhunt and put the US down. I simply believe it is in our best interest to get out of the UN, unless of course they do turn into a humanatarian force instead of trying to eb a military force.

AMEN.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The UN is a great thing and has done great things for millions and millions of people around the world... and it would be doing even better things if countries like the USA didnt ignore them and do whatever they pleased... i say keep the UN and scrap the USA

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
but how come when the UN needs to take military action, the US has to put the most military stuff into that action. everytime. GET RID OF IT! we should not be sending stuff to africa to help war torn countries. you know why those countries are war torn in the first place? EUROPE! thats right europe colonized the place and mixed rival tribs together causeing all the violenc there. the us is not europes mother. why shold we have to clean up after it?

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
The UN is a great thing and has done great things for millions and millions of people around the world... and it would be doing even better things if countries like the USA didnt ignore them and do whatever they pleased... i say keep the UN and scrap the USA

if we kept the UN and scrapped the US, the UN would fall apart primarilly because the US is the country that provides the UN with most of it's military, medical, and food supplies

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I am not one who thinks that the UN should go away. I would like them to become impotent in the military and policy department and only focus on getting world leaders together to exchange ideas and try to comprimise.

They should also keep out of the humanitarian areas, because who is there to govern them and if they do steal money and/or misuse funds how could we punish them and under who's laws?

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Guys... the US doesn't own the UN. The US can withdraw, run away, cloe the lease on the building and it will still survive.

Frankly, getting out is a very stupid move in this time of increasing globalization.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Guys... the US doesn't own the UN. The US can withdraw, run away, cloe the lease on the building and it will still survive.

U.S. doesn't UN completely, U.S. is the major contributor to the U.N., and if U.S. withdraws that a big loss of U.N's budget, it will survive, but will not be that powerful as now, which is almost powerless over main world issues.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
the UN is a bunch of pussies! god were lucky were not in a all out war!

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Cut the NWO... oops UN.

It doesnt do anything but just step on USAs feet when ever they try to make a move.

UN is just an extra dollar out of our pocket.

Out,
Russian

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
If our own government won't get us out of the U.N., the very least they could do is get it , and every bribe taking, totem pole faced goon therein, the (c) off of our soil.

Send it to Europe with all of the other inneffectual, global organizations that we rightfully ignore.

I am sure the building will rent out quickly for some much needed (high priced) office space. The main chamber could be used as a movie thearter, or perhaps a cafeteria. At least then, the space could actually be put to productive use.

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by Crazyhorse]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Blow 'em out of the water. It's not only that they are inept in virtually aspect of International Law, War and Mediation, but they are working awfully hard to get their fingers into the central governing process of our country. They have even had the temerity to take on an attempt to govern, hence control, the internet.

They take a lot and give very little back.... Wave Bye, cut our losses and boogy on. Send them packing home. We don't need them.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Seems to me that what has been put forth here is "scrap the UN and let the US do what it wants." For those of us that lived through the Cold War you would know the value of the UN. When the US ceases to be the lone aggressor on the planet, which will be in our lifetime YOU will see the value of the UN.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I say we move all the various countres' space initiatives under the banner of the UN and bring about Gene Roddenberry's vision of the Federation without having to go through the process of an apocolyptic world war first.

Viva Le Federation of Planets!

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The US out of the UN and the UN out of the US! ..and take the CFR with yas!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join