It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roller coasters.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Is there really a difference between the front and back of a roller coaster train? I have my answers, but it seems everyone I know is arguing against me. Everyone says there's more momentum in the back because you're being dragged by the front or something of the sort. With my usual set of peers, it always resorts to "the back has more momentum because...[insert various reasons here]" Of course, most people I know aren't into science like I am, like people are here on ATS.

So how about some help? What do you guys think?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I'm too chicken to ride a roller coaster now, since I'm older, but in my day, I have always preferred ride in the middle, that being said and I have no scientific facts but I have riden in all cars at some point and can tell you, in the front it felt like there was a drag...which is odd since it's the front, and the back feels much faster. Again, no scientific facts, just what my body felt. Hope you win your case though!

XL5

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Its all about personal perspective and balance, in the front, your half way down the first hill before it goes faster. In the very middle, as soon as your over the top of the hill, your speed translates as though your riding your bike down it. At the very back, you go faster before you get over the top of the hill.

At the front, just after your down a tiny part of the hill, 80% of the weight/cars are still trying to drag the first cars backwards down the hill (the huge ratchet chain prevents this). In the middle, at the top of the hill, 50% of the weight/cars are on either side of the hill and there is no "unpowered" movment of the cars one direction or the other. So as soon as your over the hill when your in the middle car, its like theres no cars in the front or back of you and it feels like "true" gravity. In the back, most of the cars are over the hill and pull you over the hill before your really over it.

There is no difference to the amount of momentum in the front, back or middle. If the coster didn't bend/turn when it hit a wall, even if the linkages were a bit loose, the rear cars will add their incremental momentum amounts when they catch up.

new topics

join