It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we have been bamboozled!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by joecamel

you sound very intellectual and i dont want to sound dumb,
but isn't it because of the system or government? that youths cant get good jobs, so they sell drugs and then they see hip hop as 'the dangling carrot' or the only way they can break free from the ghetto and they get stereotyped and so the circle continues.
I believe the government know the true power of music, and tupac (dunno 'bout biggie) was taken out because of all the support he was getting. If all of a sudden he started being positive (which i think was close), imagine how the politicians would have used him.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Late, you stole that from a song....the refrain was...

"Fish heads, fish heads,

roly poly fish heads,

fish heads, eat them up Yum!"

See, I used to listen to Doctor Demento too!!! In fact, that song is on one of his CDs.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
the main point of this thread was basically asking;
How will a Black President survive in this 'conditioned' environment?
and by 'conditioned', i mean years and years of negative stereotypes in the media portraying minorities as inferior.
Watch 'Bamboozled' by Spike Lee to get a rough idea;
www.youtube.com...

it makes me sick, and to think that it wasn't that long ago.

If Obama dont make it, how long will it take?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by v4vendetta
and by 'conditioned', i mean years and years of negative stereotypes in the media portraying minorities as inferior.
www.youtube.com...

First, Obama isn't a black President.

Second, if Obama doesn't get elected it's not going to be because he's black. It's going to be because people a) don't want a neophyte liberal as POTUS, and/or b) aren't willing to accept his nebulous "change" mantra.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

www.youtube.com...

First, Obama isn't a black President.

Second, if Obama doesn't get elected it's not going to be because he's black. It's going to be because people a) don't want a neophyte liberal as POTUS, and/or b) aren't willing to accept his nebulous "change" mantra.

He could get the popular vote in the general election and still lose which is what I feel will happen.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kj6754

he's the blackest to come so far...
have you not thought that all this negative hype is just what you want to hear?
and where did you hear all this anyhow? Fox networks?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I remember that movie.
I find it odd that Mick Jagger now looks so much like Don Knotts.

LMAO!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Not watching it, because it really is time for me to get in bed, but I sincerely hope that you don't take the message of Spike Lee as some sort of gospel... the man has a definite agenda that is behind every movie he makes.

In short, Spike Lee profits greatly from racism. If race was no longer an issue, he'd be out of a job.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

good point. but racism DOES exist. You shouldn't take anyones word apart from your own, i agree. Im only using 'bamboozled' as reference because it contains so much propaganda videos, forget about the actual plot of the film, even though it is quite entertaining, the plot is irrelavant.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I can't really say anything about the Spike Lee movie because I haven't seen it. I can assure you that I will, should the opportunity present itself though.
However, to comment on the OP's mention of the mtv program, as an American citizen I can tell you that there is very little "blatant" racism on the tellys these days, unless it is directed towards the white people, and not the other way around. People like Big Black and Flava Flav as another of the numerous examples, choose their own nicknames or are given to them by close friends or family. It's like that in every urban community that I've ever been accuainted with. And believe it or not, I've grown up between Chicago, Portland, and Los Angeles.
It has been my experience that the only real "blatant" racism in any form of mainstream media in the United States, is not perpetrated by the white people of this country, but directed towards them instead. They get into deep whatnot and whathaveyou if anyone of them slips up in public and voices a racially insensitive opinion. But it's seemingly standard practice to criticize and make fun of them on prime time telly without any repercussions.

Just my point of view. Don't know if it adds to the discussion or not.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

Originally posted by Alxandro
Repentance for racists.
I wonder if all will be forgiven if alleged racists end up voting for Obama the radical, or will we keep hearing about reparations by Jackson and Sharpton the poverty pimps?

You mean Michael Jackson???

Maybe Mick Jagger is the love child Don Knotts had with Bea Arthur?

(now you owe me two for that visual!!)

Barney Fife and Maude, together, like you've never seen them before.

It certainly would have made for an interesting 70's show, especially during the era of the feminists movement. Big Maude slapping little Fife around, but that's as far as the visual goes.

Darn, did I say slap?

I was really trying to refrain from including any audio with that visual but now I can hear some really hip pimp music too.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ollie Oxen

its all good. point made. but i kinda disagree bruv! its the exploitative element that comes with calling someone 'big black'.
i mean, when was the last time you saw a black person on tv, who wasnt a rapper, singer, actor, clown? thats MY point. when have you heard of a black person with a normal name?
the ones that do, are usually portrayed as crazy... e.g obama's priest.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   

It is a fact that (i hate bringing it up) white people DO run the western world.

Oh come on now, let's not pull out the victim card.

It all has to do with excelling in what you are good at.
One can very easily make a similar argument that black people run sports in the western world, which btw, they do.
Why are there bigger, stronger, better black atheletes?

Besides genetics being the obvious factor it's also part of the culture because black kids start off focusing on athletics over academics much early on, so naturally they soon far surpass their white counterparts.

Basically it has to do with how much time one spends learning the rules of the game, whether it's sports or business, that will determine how well that person will excel in that field.

It has to do with being good at what you do, which is why it's rare when someone excels at both sports and academics.

If people gripe when they hear how much a super CEO makes, they should educate themselves to become a super CEO!
Superstar athlete's salaries are just as $uper, yet when athletes' salaries become public, people react more with awe rather than disdain.

The human brain is also like a muscle, the more you use it, the more you develop it, the sooner you develop it as a kid the smarter the kid happens to be.
This habit to devour knowledge is embedded in a certain culture as well, which is why asians tend to be smarter than blacks or whites because parents stress the importance of a good education early on.

Before the emergence of Yao Ming, it was rare to see asians at major sporting events, probably beacuse they were at home hitting the books.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by v4vendetta

I'm sure he's being paid handsomely to be on television, and he chose to use the name he uses, nobody forced it or anything else on him. That whole list you offered is the same list used to discribe any other race you might find on tv these days. He's being exploited no more or less than anyone else on television, regardless of skin color. In America today,
everyone is commercially exploited equally.

And to further my previous point, there are no television stations in the US called White Entertainment Television, but there is a Black Entertainment Television.

I'm not trying to say there is no racism in the USA, because that would be an ignorant comment in itself. It's just that the topic of which you speak is not an example of it directed towards African Americans. There are other examples such as prison populations, teen pregnancy, hiring practices, and so forth, but their nicknames on tv are not one of them. They choose those for themselves. So I guess I don't understand what you're getting at.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Ollie Oxen

It's a psychological affect. The images on television are not intended to offend or anger. The idea is that the images flashed across television do two things for everyone in America: it establishes racial, gender, and sexual stereotypes, and it retains that image in the subconscious. How many white people have said "oh, I can't dance, I'm white with no rhythm." Is that true, at all? No, of course not. But it's become an accepted cultural standard because every white guy we see on TV is a joke when he tries to dance.

The same principle applies to other races. As the OP has said, the problem is what the media is doing to restrict what people think they can do. If a black kid grows up watching television shows, movies, listening to music where all he learns is you either "sling rock or you got a wicked jump shot," then that's going to leave him with just a few options once he gets older, especially if the people TELLING him this are who he considers heroes.

Check out Muslims. Except for films and television shows explicitly produced by people of that cultural background, muslims are often portrayed in the same light across the board. Fanatical, with little understanding of English or language in general, screeching stereotypically. Or the "good muslim," who's highly conservative and usually has an indistinct middle eastern accent.

Or, as I've said before on this thread, gay people. Gay people are the greatest example of how this has been put it into action most recently. You will be hard pressed to find any portrayal of male homosexuality in mainstream media that doesn't cast them as limp-wristed and lisping, obsessed with clothes and Judy Garland. Yes: this is reality in some places. But those are projections of a repressed mindset finally breaking free; not a general factor for individuals who have a certain sexual preference. So instead of exploring that: "why did this character embracing his homosexuality create such a forced personae?" we get to watch him make jokes about taking it up the poop shoot or something as equally juvenile and worthless. Or there is a flip side: the shamed homosexual, who we get to see struggling nonstop with his decision. How RARE it is to see homosexuality as it actually is: a sexual orientation had by a great many people from ALL WALKS OF LIFE.

These have left images in America's head. "Black people run western sports." Actually, WHITE PEOPLE run the sports. Black people play them. But you sure as hell have it in your head that black people are in charge of it - why not? 80% of the African Americans you see on television are athletes.

That is not, by the way, a correct statistic. I just referenced a random number. 80% seems right.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well, if the Global Elite(Illuminati) want Obama in office he will win. Obama could be lieing just to set something bad up for America, or he could be telling the truth.. And if he is telling the truth and gets elected, then he will be assassinated just like JFK, cause he would be messing up the Illuminati's plans.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
From the point of view of being British, there is a river called The Big Black in America, and I immediately presumed the Steve Albini band called Big Black were named after that.......so are you absolutely sure that the nickname in the film title indicates colour biasedness.....and "negroes" will inform you they prefer to be called blacks......a guy whom I used to work with, who died recently, left South Africa, Johannesburg specifically, soon after the Sharpville massacre, and had been badly scared by the Afrikaans showing off pictures of 'blacks' that they'd skinned alive then photographed, they were showing the photos off to their families "and laughing their heads off at them" so he left.....and came here to Scotland.
Martin Heth, author of www.phonedupnshutup.com

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

listen bro! white people DO "run" the western world, we just live there.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

thats MY point. when have you heard of a black person with a normal name? the ones that do, are usually portrayed as crazy... e.g obama's priest.

Okay... I am not even black, but I am offended by this. It's more often than not that I meet black people with "normal names." In fact, I have several black friends, all of which have "normal names." I have met black people with some interesting names, but I have also met white people and people of many cultures who have names that sound interesting to me, as in my family all of the first names are pretty "American-sounding".

And Obama's pastor isn't being portrayed as crazy because he has what you deem a "normal name." He isn't really being portrayed as crazy at all. He is being portrayed as what he is... a racist who uses the pulpit to push his own personal agenda.

I think you're just reaching for things now...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

i dont mean to offend. I have black friends with normal names too, what i meant was that it is rare that you see them on TV, in places of influence.
And what i meant by 'crazy' is thats the way he is "portrayed"...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join