It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeing smoke from Santa Cruz & Nor Cal Fires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I noticed this evening around 4 something while looking south a cloud of haze. I knew it had to have been from the fires near Santa Cruz. Looking North also there was a bit of a haze as well.

I checked the satellite imagery and saw it coming. Now there's a purplish gray haze while looking outside at the direction of the sun setting. So those who are here in the SF bay area, if your wondering why the sky looks weird it's because of the fires. Here is a 48 hour loop of the smoke:
California/Nevada Loop

It also is looking like the smoke is causing it's own weather system. Like when a volcano goes off?

This is the SSD Fire Detection Program which shows the smoke coverage. You can zoom in to the area to see it.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by DearWife]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Also adding now that the sun has set, the moon has an orange tint to it. Kinda reminds me of what it looked like during the Oakland-Berkeley Firestorm

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I thought that bloody mess in the skies had something to do with Friday the 13th! There is nothing like a nice orangey sunset and brown, yucky clouds on that warm evening.

[edit on 2008-6-14 by pikypiky]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Inside, my house smells like a campfire.

here is a MAP of the fire up north

a SCANNER is here

here are some PHOTOS

[edit on 14-6-2008 by hoppy]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Also, we had the DC- 10 Firefighter out here today, you don't see that often.
Bunches of Helicopters too.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by hoppy]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hoppy

Wow, thanks for sharing those links hoppy. Hoping the smell has subsided for you. I found that if you place a fan in front of the window in the opposite direction, with the wind blowing inside, it helps suck out heat and odors.

Here's the image I took yesterday:
SF bay area smoky sky

I notice on satellite when there's a fire, the smoke rises and expands more during sunset. Here are some fire rules I came across.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by DearWife]

top topics

join