It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Euro is doomed! (Part 2)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Here is a link to a posting I made some time back which was flamed on pretty quickly an had very little responses.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And here is a link to an article posted yesterday

www.telegraph.co.uk.../money/2008/06/13/cneuro113.xml

I still think the EURO is not the answer. I am still very long the dollar and have been since the end of March. Loving every minute of the rally. It has ALOT further to go. Once the commodity bull$hit is peaked out and it will be over within the next three months, the rally in the dollar will be looked at as unprecedented!!!! No more mentioning of stocks for me, was banned for doing so in the past. BUT, I am long the dollar.

Thank you and good night.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
And why is this in war on terror?????

This has NOTHING to do with the war on terror.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Are you the same guy a few months ago spreading nonsense about Europe? saying the euro is bad?? Because its identical to this one... Forgive forgive me, but curosity is too obvious not to ask.

EUROPE an the EURO IS NOT DOOMED......Please stop spreading nonsense. Its doing alot better than America right now and as foir the dolla, same apples there. Europe is a role model for the world in terms oeing truly global, peace and vision for unity. 30 countires of 100s of ethinic groups joined together by unity and equality in every way unimaginable prior to WW2. The Euro has greatly benifeted us. It's a natural step to bring Europe econmically together. Thie thing i see, is that you feel the EURO is a threat for the dollar. Thats just tough cookie. America cannot sustain its economy anymore, without invading and taking rescourses and keeping the dollar used as mother money for world trade. Euro is naturally going to takeover, bigger population and bigger market. Thats life. China will be overtaking America as the number 1 economy. Again logic plays here. so what's next "Chine will be dooned" as the next tactic???

The Euro doing fineeeeeeeeeeeeee. Please stop with your personal progaganda. I'm wall aware of what your trying to protray Europe and the Euro too be.
and its not doomed. I repeat it's not doomed.

The Euro is good for me, its good for Europe, good for business, good for tourism and travel. PLEASE somebody de bunk this thread. Its absurd.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by mind is the universe]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Just wait....run away inflation...ing your way!!!!!

Think our housing prices have fallen????

Just wait.

Think our sub-prime issues are bad.....WAIT and see!!!!

Think we have un-employment problems??? Its coming pal!!!!!

Think we have an oppressive leadership??? THE EU will be 10 times more oppressive......

It's destined to fail...destined to fall apart.....

Still WAY long the US$ and now short the EURO too!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
More chest beating and drum banging.

To read this, you'd think that both markets weren't inextricably interlinked.

What affects one will always affect the other, just like it does the pound - which is still pretty damn strong.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'm not waiting. I'm moving on..... As Europe is.. each step at a time.

You however is going backwards. I salute you.

Europe is good.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hey EU....

I warned you back then.

Hope you don;t choke swallowing this.

You should have swallowed some pride back then.....and cut rates.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You are a Nutcase!

Take a look at your own country's markets.. take a look at global markets..

What are you on about?

Everyone is screwed, not just the US.. or the EU. And its all the faults of those idiot market traders and US banks.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The destruction of the EU is happening now.

It is only a matter of time before I can say I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Good call, dude.
The U$ is comparatively strong right now, at least as long as we can keep paying our debts to other countries.
The Euro and GBP are falling off a cliff.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst

blaa blaa blaa blaa blaa blaa

Are you missing what is going on in the rest of the world?

USD is about to default
EURO is in Trouble
Iceland and Pakistan are pretty much bankrupt
Australia, US, GB and another 30 odd countries are in recession.
China's growth has slowed dramatically.
And its all the fault of greedy Americans who tried to set up a corporate empire based on corrupt practices.

When the Eu is destroyed, send me a U2U and i will apologise. Other than that, you are only spouting absolute rubbish.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
And its all the fault of greedy Americans who tried to set up a corporate empire based on corrupt practices.

You might want to look into the leverage issues with UK banks before you start pointing fingers in one direction. Everyone's greed is at fault.

CNN

"Some of the major European banks have leverage ratios (often over 30, in some cases close to 50) that must, under current market conditions, be considered a disaster in waiting," Daniel Gros and Stefano Micossi of the Centre for European Policy Studies wrote last month.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

This has nothing to do with your post per say, but the reason you are probably meeting such hostility right now is your name. I know you have been on here a long time, but between your name and your attitude, especially with Wall St. being the villain right now in most people's eyes how can you expect anyone to not have anger before they hit a key on the keyboard? Right, wrong or indifferent.

Before you get angry, I work in the credit dept. of a major bank, so I do know what I speak of. Thankfully we haven't been bought out yet, or gone under but I have no idea how long I will have a job either.

Just a thought, and yes you do have the right to use any name of your choosing and I will defend your right to say anything you choose, but chill.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon

You might want to look into the leverage issues with UK banks before you start pointing fingers in one direction. Everyone's greed is at fault.

True, but they didn't collapse to start this thing off so what i said was also technically true.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Euro is weak
and Dollar is strong
if money could speak
then it would speak wrong

Euro is poor
and Dollar is rich
if you are sure
then which one is which?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
True, but they didn't collapse to start this thing off so what i said was also technically true.

You said the economic crisis is the fault of "greedy Americans," not anything about what started the collapse.

I do not discount that criminal greed and corruption on the part of the American gov't and financial sectors, greed and entitlement in the private sector, and general greed on the part of the banks had a significant impact on this world's current financial woes.

HOWEVER - American banks are not the only greedy ones, the American people are not the only greedy ones, nor is the American government the only government corrupted by money. Barclay's is six times as leveraged as Bank of America. It's twice as leveraged as Sachs and Lehman. Do you understand what leverage means in this context? Barclay's has an estimated $61 in debt for every $1 in equity. How does a bank get itself in that situation? GREED. How is it allowed to get to that point? Lack of government oversight due to GREED.

This is everyone's fault. It's all the governments, all the banks, all the people who live above their means. We all screwed the pooch. It's not one political party or one country. It's everyone.

Don't feel too comfortable in the ivory tower you seem to think you're in, my friend. My beloved ancestral homeland is on real shaky ground along with the rest of the world, and it's because Ireland got caught up in the housing/construction bubble just like everyone else did.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   

You are losing more credit every day. I remember you saying in the spring that the US economy was well on its way recovering and that the US economy is the strongest economy in the world. When the Dow started to plunge you weren't here saying how great the US economy is, and now you see the Dollar regaining value, you are suddenly back again. Anyhow, I'm not gonna waste more words on the ''oh my god, the Euro is going down crap''.

First of all, the downwards pressure on the Euro is extremely important for the European economy as it will stimulate export. The higher the value of the Euro the lower the export, hence damaging the economy.

Second, it puts downward on the oil, stimulating economies globally.

But what is the reason for the Euro to depreciate while everyone would expect this crisis to put downward pressure on the Dollar?

Euro bashers like to say it is because the EU economy is crap and will be hit harder than the US economy, which in my opinion is complete nonsense. In reality, it is US companies dumping their large Euro reserves to increase their low Dollar (cash) levels. With Banks being very weary to borrow money these days, companies have to everything possible to keep operations running, requiring cash.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

EUR/USD: HIT FROM 3 DIFFERENT ANGLES

In yesterday’s Daily Currency Focus, we talked about how the EUR/USD should break 1.30 because tough times are ahead for the Eurozone. When the currency pair finally broke that level, the selling did not stop until it fell to 1.2738, the lowest level since November 2006. The EUR/USD was hit from 3 angles; risk aversion, a sharp drop in oil prices and fears of a recession. Two year Eurozone bond yields fell to the lowest level in 3 years. Since July, the Euro has fallen 20 percent against the US dollar and 25 percent against the Japanese Yen. Despite the weakness, don’t expect the European Central Bank to take any steps to stem the decline because a weaker currency will help the export dependent region. Furthermore the decline in commodity prices will make inflation less of a concern and give the ECB the flexibility the focus on growth. Technically, the next level of support for the EUR/USD is 1.25.

www.forexpros.com...

There IS something called a "controlled demolition . . ."
You controll your international currency standing anyway you please to -- unless you're a complete nutcase.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what currency you have. It's a global meltdown remember? Right now I wouldn't bet on any currency.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon
... Barclay's is six times as leveraged as Bank of America.
It's twice as leveraged as Sachs and Lehman.
Do you understand what leverage means in this context?
Barclay's has an estimated $61 in debt for every $1 in equity.

just to bring some known figures to light.
(see, until a actual disclosure we could only estimate the leverage.)

on 22 oct 08, an auction took place on Lehmans hord of counter-party debt paper/derivatives, etc.
the sale was for $79bn of paper, the sale ammounted to $5.3 bn or around ~.09cents on the dollar, as the report goes.(i guess the sale was minus the auction fees)

so if Lehman had that much ponzi-paper with less than 1/15th the collateral to back up/guarantee the products for sale... that means many others are likely leveraged to the same degree... 10-20X the value.

Barclays might have a greater or lesser leverage... but using the Lehman ratio as a guideline:
Est. $6bn equity X 15 leveraged sales = $90bn subject to loss

time will tell

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join