It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens land, they're peaceful, what next?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ok so hypothetical.

Aliens land, they're peaceful and they're benign. They land on the white house lawn, afterall landing on the lawn on the super power seems sensible in getting media coverage.

they land on the white house lawn, the president greets them, they seem peaceful. What would the reaction of the world be? I only ask becuase the common idea of not releasing the "truth" about such people is often said to be panic of the populous. I should say i'm not sure that aliens have visited earth so i have no axe to grind here.

So aliens land, what would happen? Economically would the globe collapse? As people switched on their televisions to watch, as people stopped work to view it, as people stopped sex to look at the tv (ok granted they'd finish first, i mean a nuclear bomb could go off next door i wouldn't stop mid sex) they turn on the tv, the world is viewing this situation.

Would the global economic system collapse? Would after so many days the shelves not be stocked with food? Would people panic, riot, cause trouble? What would happen with the religious side of the earth? Would they denounce them as devils or accept them as gods creation? would they accept them as gods themselves?

In combat zones, where people kill others, would armies lay down their arms at utter astonishment of what they're seeing? Or would they continue fighting, taking advantage of the situation?

Aliens landing would cause so much upheaval, so much trouble, would we really band together in the midst of alien contact?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Would the global economic system collapse

COULD be>

Not by means of everyone watching TV but by means of Religious upheaval with the idea that we are not the only supreme God beings God created!

With the knowledge that we were not his only creation, the masses may look to them for superior guidance, than from our own governments because they are more advanced than we are
so the theory of contacts goes anyway
IMHO

[edit on 13-6-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Knowing the nature of the world we would probably lull them into a false sense of security with promises of cooperation. Then we would turn on them and destroy them while taking every resource and piece of technology we could manage to secure.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
To be honest I think it would be the single most astounding experience of our time when it happens.

I can imagine a lot of people would be amazed, you know returning the benign favor with smiling interest.
But there would also be those cursing the aliens... for being different, being something those people can't comprehend or goes against their beliefs.

I always imagine myself in this situation kinda like the people in the end of CEO3K. Jaw hanging way down, frozen in place, waiting for them to reach out because I would be afraid of making sudden moves xD

But it's a delicate situation isn't it. If they did land and went hello, containment would be pretty hard. Some people might even feel they had a right to talk and shake hands with the aliens, go with them, be THE liaison for that race.
How the hell do we choose something like that? In my book, government officials aren't better equipped than the average person for a situation like that. Simply because there are no confirm episodes prior to the first one here.
I would hope that the aliens are far superior empathy wise so they themselves could sense who would be the right person. Maybe they already found that person... they just also realize what "proper channels" are here on Earth and therefore went by our leaders before saying "we would like to choose that guy/girl"

Socially and economically worldwide. If the aliens are superior in knowledge and reason they would also themselves realize the ramifications of releasing superadvanced tech to us on a whim. I think they would hold back to begin with, and settling with giving us knowledge and tech to handle humanitarian crisis on Earth instead of flying machines.
The economy is hard to judge isn't it... I would like to say that those elite bastards are getting what they deserve when new tech is released that takes away their bread and butter. But if anything is clear these days it's how bad that would affect the common man.

Maybe the aliens would try to teach us how to handle being one Earth instead, where economy and greed aren't the carrying factors. They would help us phase out the things that we depend on and try to distribute the tech slowly and evenly so everyone could benefit from it instead of a selected few.
I think terraforming would be a no no. It would be too easy to abuse on thriving planet. It would probably be something saved for when we have showed that we are able to work as one team instead of several hundreds.

I like that you asked this question because it becomes not so much a pondering about aliens, but more about human nature and how to deal with it. Growing up and living up to our potential (which we are far from...)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
They would probably end up at the UN for a meeting with other world leaders or representatives. During this time, they would probably inform our governments what we need to do right away to help save the planet with various free energy technologies. To which our governments would accept these challenges to be phased in over a 40 to 90 year period. (SOS)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
We eat them.
Or maybe see if we can turn them into bullets.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by flice
To be honest I think it would be the single most astounding experience of our time when it happens.

Quite simpy, yes it would.

I can imagine a lot of people would be amazed, you know returning the benign favor with smiling interest.
But there would also be those cursing the aliens... for being different, being something those people can't comprehend or goes against their beliefs.

well that plays into my whole scenario. Society as a whole has slowly accecpted different races. It's taken hundreds of years for this to happen, what would an alien species bring on the xenophobic front!?

But it's a delicate situation isn't it. If they did land and went hello, containment would be pretty hard. Some people might even feel they had a right to talk and shake hands with the aliens, go with them, be THE liaison for that race.

Which people would have a right? That's a very difficult question. I thin any religious person sent into such a situation would cause immediate trouble. whilst our alien freinds may think there is a religion we would need someone who had no view either way and so at least for me, i think an agnostic would be the way to go.

How the hell do we choose something like that? In my book, government officials aren't better equipped than the average person for a situation like that. Simply because there are no confirm episodes prior to the first one here.

If we assume that no one has experienced alien cntact before then i think someone with minimal belief in any system would be the appropriate person to deal with it.

I would hope that the aliens are far superior empathy wise so they themselves could sense who would be the right person. Maybe they already found that person... they just also realize what "proper channels" are here on Earth and therefore went by our leaders before saying "we would like to choose that guy/girl"p

Empaty isn't always the best choice. They would have to pick, in my view someone who didn't believe in anything, that's the only way they could get a fare hearing.

Socially and economically worldwide. If the aliens are superior in knowledge and reason they would also themselves realize the ramifications of releasing superadvanced tech to us on a whim. I think they would hold back to begin with, and settling with giving us knowledge and tech to handle humanitarian crisis on Earth instead of flying machines.

Well peaceful technology would be fine i think. Safe technologies that can't destroy us and only provide good things like less pollution, safer energy production etc. I hope they woudln't give us anything that could lead to harmful technology, but basically even proving technologies that could give peaceful attributes to our soceity could be harmful. they would have to provie clean technologies on the basis that no one would ownthe copyright otherwise we would have wars over that as well!

The economy is hard to judge isn't it... I would like to say that those elite bastards are getting what they deserve when new tech is released that takes away their bread and butter. But if anything is clear these days it's how bad that would affect the common man.

Wel that's the problem isn't it. Id such technology was given then the stocvks in energy producing companies would plummet, meaning we would have no power for a long time. this is the problem with asking for such technologies i think.

Maybe the aliens would try to teach us how to handle being one Earth instead, where economy and greed aren't the carrying factors. They would help us phase out the things that we depend on and try to distribute the tech slowly and evenly so everyone could benefit from it instead of a selected few.

If you look at how we would treat other societies over time i think this is a sensible approach. Science fiction has it right, to introduce radically different technologies all at once will lead to chaos, even if those technologies are beneficial in the long term. Economic instability will only lead to death and destruction.

I like that you asked this question because it becomes not so much a pondering about aliens, but more about human nature and how to deal with it. Growing up and living up to our potential (which we are far from...)

That' was i suppse my main reasonf or asking it. If aliens landed it would not be about them, but about our ability to handle the situation.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Find a means to communicate and the motive why they are here.Hopefully you can get the point across,we are a divided world and some of us humans aren't good.Find out their background,technology,any medical secrets.Hopefully have good ties so we can continue to see them again???

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Whilst i agree with what you've put here, my point was more on the global scale, how would the majority react?

Btw nice womble avatar.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The jihadists would try to shoot them.. "INFIDELS!! ALLAH AKHBARRR!" .. Then aliens would shake their heads,roll their big eyes, say adios and fly off. Then, everyone would get angry at the jihadists and continue fighting. The End.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
While I do not think a peaceful ET landing situation could happen since I believe our governments are dead-set on keeping this subject a secret, if one were to take place it would spell the quick beginning of the end for most if not all terrestrial institutions and practices. Advanced cultures on our own planet have nearly always supplanted primitive ones when they come into contact with each other. In the case of man this change is ususally done by violent means but its not always so.

IMO the people who will have the most problem with such an event are the rich, powerful, and the religious. All of which stand to lose something should ETs have any differing point of views and technology. Which I'm sure they have in spades. When humans have problems, violence is likely to be found, so its more than likely rioting and chaos would ensue unless by some small chance humanity in general matures from the experience.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by EternalThought

Well that's a rather ignorant attack on islam now isn't it, maybe they would see people like you and walk away shaking their heads. Jihad is a small part of the islam faith, just like attacks on abortion clinics are a small part of the christian faith.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I would think they would be fired upon, because the world governments know absolutely nothing of peace, and would be interested in the technology to conquer other worlds.

I, for one, would side with the aliens, and would warn them somehow not to land on the white house lawn.

If the crafts were the size of the ones in 'Independance Day', then I think the governments and people would take notice. Unfortunately the fear would overtake them, and they would be on the attack. You know like that tribe that shot arrows at an aircraft. Except, we will be the ones shooting arrows, and we will be the tribe in the Amazon Forest. Like that tribe, we will show our war-like qualities.

new topics

top topics

join