It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.0 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Northern Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

7.0 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Northern Japan

news.bbc.co.uk

A powerful, 7.0-magnitude earthquake has struck Japan's main island, Honshu, meteorologists say.

The epicentre was in Akita prefecture, 82km (52 miles) north of the city of Sendai, the US Geological Survey reports.

The tremor rattled buildings in the capital, Tokyo, 390km (240 miles) to the south.

There have so far been no immediate reports of any damage or casualties, and no tsunami warning has been issued.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Reports are still coming in. This just happened a short while ago, around midnight GMT.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sacreligion

Natural disasters are occurring at an alarming rate at the moment, floods volcano's, earthquakes , almost every day at the moment

It sure makes a fella think about many stories i have read here at ATS.

Anyway lets hope casualities are minimum but if their anything like china i doubt it.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It appears that there were 2 earthquakes.

14-JUN-2008 00:20:13 38.99 140.41 5.5 10.0 EASTERN HONSHU, JAPAN
13-JUN-2008 23:43:46 39.11 140.61 6.9 10.3 EASTERN HONSHU, JAPAN

Source

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Oh my gosh! Things are happening waaaaay too fast now!!!

I just read a prediction about Japan being the next to have a massive eq.

wth?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Unfortunately, two people now appear to have died as a result of the quake. One poor soul actually died by being hit by a truck when he fled a building in a panic during the quake. My thoughts and prayers to all.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Oh my gosh! Things are happening waaaaay too fast now!!!

I just read a prediction about Japan being the next to have a massive eq.

wth?

I know what you mean. A friend of mine gave me a link to this blog or something with some predictions made by...I can't remember...and it says something about Japan getting hit by an earthquake...I brushed off the whole blog as nonsense. Gonna have to give it another look now.

That's some freaky coincidence or we should take those predictions more seriously.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Japan was next on that fault line to be hit...I thought greece was next though for some reason...

My guess is that this won't be the last earthquake of the year.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PimpyMcgibbins

Greece did get hit, I think it was last week.

Strong earthquake hits Greece; 2 dead
ap.google.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I know most people are shocked by all the earth quakes going on around the world right now but IMO this is just the start of alot more to come and it scares the s### out of me

I hope like many others that this earth quake has not killed many people

Love and light

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Honshu is very familar with large earthquakes as they happen frequently there.

I just heard on the radio that there was a leak in a nuclear power plant, but (of course), the radioactivity is contained within the plant.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

Just did a gogle search on leak in a nuclear power plant but nothing has been reported yet I guess it's early

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by duffster

I'm listening to C2C on the radio and it's been reported on the hour for the past three hours. Radioactive water leak, contained within the plant is all they're saying.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
reply to post by Sacreligion

Natural disasters are occurring at an alarming rate at the moment, floods volcano's, earthquakes , almost every day at the moment

It sure makes a fella think about many stories i have read here at ATS.

Anyway lets hope casualities are minimum but if their anything like china i doubt it.

I'm so glad to hear that someone else is thinking on those lines. The quake, it didn't happen to be near the place where they just unvailed that new car that runs on water, would it? Maybe a warning to the people there not to contiune with that technology because the oil giants would no longer have the choke hold they now enjoy.
I know it seems "out there" but it's the first thing I thought of.

Hope that reactor leak will be contained and casulities are light

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
So 3 dead and 100 injured? Of course I hope those figures don't rise.

You could compare and contrast those figures with the China quake - looks like Japan has spent the money on the infrastructure etc, where as China probably didn't - or if they did allowed it to be cyphered off through corruption.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
One of the things that a few people in the J-blogsphere have been mentioning is that the new early warning system worked quite well.

It's kind of cool - when a quake is detected, it immediately breaks in to radio and TV programming, letting you know that the shockwave is approaching. In this case, it gave people in Sendai about 5 seconds to jump under a table, or turn off the gas on the stove, or stop juggling chainsaws, or whatever people in Sendai do on Saturday mornings (I was at the office
)

Apparently there is a detector coming on the market that is based on wireless tech, that you will be able to mount anywhere in your home - it gives you a countdown on when the quake will hit. Not sure how widespread that is yet.

The damage reports are coming in - but it looks fairly minor, all things considered. The area in question gets one of these every two or three years, so things that can't stand up tend to be replaced fairly quickly. Buildings that can't stand up tend not to. Old buildings get torn down and replaced quite regularly. It's quite common for homeowners and businesses to do a complete tear-down and rebuild after 40 years or so. Less than that for businesses, actually.

News on the nuke plant:

Tokyo Electric said it had found that nearly 15 liters of wastewater containing radioactive substances had spilled out of a pool inside the premises of the Fukushima No. 2 plant it operates but that the spill should not pose any danger to human health or the environment.

Sounds fairly run-of-the-mill to me, nothing to get too alarmed about.

Finally - getting worked up about a quake in Japan having some kind of mystical connection is like freaking out when the wind blows from the east. It's a matter of time. Happens about every 6 months somewhere in Japan. Predicting that there will be a "large" quake in Japan in June is like predicting that there will be a Tornado next week, somewhere in America. The odds are not exactly stacked against either prediction.

top topics

join