It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"absurdities in the bible"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
What a site. Talk about grasping at straws. Perhaps the author should read the Bible and *shudder* think a little.

I'm not saying that arguments put against the Bible shouldn't be examined, but this looks like it's a hair away from satire.

Here's my favorite:

GE 38:27-29 Twins are being delivered. One puts out his hand and the midwife binds it with a scarlet ribbon to identify him as the firstborn. But he draws back his hand, and his brother is born first (thereby obtaining the rights of the firstborn son).

Do those moronic Christians actually belive in twins?! It's pretty absurd to believe that two babies can actually develop in the womb at once.

I don't want to know what stupid ideas those Christians will think of next.

If these verses are true, that even means that babies aren't delivered by storks.

What morons those Christians are.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alcove
What a site. Talk about grasping at straws. Perhaps the author should read the Bible and *shudder* think a little.

I'm not saying that arguments put against the Bible shouldn't be examined, but this looks like it's a hair away from satire.

Here's my favorite:

GE 38:27-29 Twins are being delivered. One puts out his hand and the midwife binds it with a scarlet ribbon to identify him as the firstborn. But he draws back his hand, and his brother is born first (thereby obtaining the rights of the firstborn son).

Do those moronic Christians actually belive in twins?! It's pretty absurd to believe that two babies can actually develop in the womb at once.

If these verses are true, that even means that babies aren't delivered by storks.

its not religion on ats that causes arguments,its comments like this,but thank you for sharing your opinion.god bless you

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Sorry to ruin your fun, but I do not have a problem with anything on the list.
I do have a problem with the comments on each item, in the list.
Just shows a tremendous lack of understanding on whoever wrote it.
There are some serious problems in the Bible but they are missed and instead we get a bunch of stuff that the writer seems to have no background in.
It might be something fun for atheists to laugh at but their attempt at ridiculing the Bible might just backfire.
A really curious mind might be intrigued by the list to want to study the Bible and end up as a Christian.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Sorry to ruin your fun, but I do not have a problem with anything on the list.
I do have a problem with the comments on each item, in the list.
Just shows a tremendous lack of understanding on whoever wrote it.
There are some serious problems in the Bible but they are missed and instead we get a bunch of stuff that the writer seems to have no background in.
It might be something fun for atheists to laugh at but their attempt at ridiculing the Bible might just backfire.
A really curious mind might be intrigued by the list to want to study the Bible and end up as a Christian.

well thank you for proving to others my reasoning for not calling myself a christian (although proving anything is hardly the point of my thread, not that it matters to someone who will cast judgement on another).

if you had read through this thread, i think you would have seen where i said that i have my own subjective explanation for the things written on those lists and will post it. i have been working on it and WILL be posting it when i am finished, and it will not be some pat answer like "oh, these are all easy to answer" while containing no real answer (which THAT PART to me IS funny!!)

i am not atheist, but am agnostic when it comes to believing in JUST the bible. no one religion (one the surface) is any better than the other, but they all hold the same deeper meaning and whether you have missed it or not is not for me to judge, but i would encourage you to look a little deeper into your bible.

i hold great respect for the deeper things in the bible as do for the deeper things in everything. i hold no respect for those who pass judgement but refuse to answer the question originally posed.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
we probably need a definition of what an absurdity is..could it be someone elses views,no i dont think so,our personal views should be welcomed,if someone is wrong show them how they are wrong,if you cant show them than keep quiet and learn something............if you define absurd as a particular part of the bible,then post it here.i cant think of one right this second.questionable parts of the bible i can think of,but nothing absurd....

[edit on 25-6-2008 by pureevil81]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

although i hear what you are saying, i think absurdities is nothing for anyone to be offended by. if you have FAITH (real faith, not blind acceptance that you CALL faith), someone labeling these things absurdities should not be offensive to you. (not saying you personally, pureevil81. i think you get "it", but i am referring to others who have replied).

honestly, i think there are a lot of atheists that get "it" far better than those who call themselves christian. what is "it"? it is found in the bible, just as it is in other religious books, in nature, in those who touch our lives on a daily basis; but unless "it" is seen from a particular perspective of the heart, "it" can't be obtained just through believing there is a God.

and, imo, i feel w/ certainty that anyone who looks down on someone for asking about this list i posted doesn't have "it". rather, the "preaching" of their "faith" is nothing but

to those who have taken the time to post their thoughts in a non demeaning way, i respect you and thank you and would love to hear more of what you are thinking in regards to this and the other lists posted on the link.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
GE 3:14-16 God curses the serpent, Eve, and Adam for what they have done. (Note: This is inconsistent with God's omniscience; God should have known full well, ahead of time, what the outcome would be. Since God created the three as well as the Tree of Knowledge, he is ultimately responsible for the Fall.) GE 4:15 A mark is placed on Cain as a distinctive identifying symbol when there were only three (known) persons on earth.GE 4:17 Cain builds and populates a whole city in only two generations.

these were taken from the link provided...first part......god did know what the outcome would be,this is where free will comes in.it is not gods will to treat us as slaves,rather to make our own decisions,well the three in question certainly made their own decision didnt they... the second part....tricky,but cain would have been all alone then adam and eve had more children later on...well then let your imagination take it from there...hey the earth had to start like this regardless...this isnt necassarily my opinion but it is a view to some (believers)...i can see why this would be in question though....i would also like to add i missed the link the first time,thats why i didnt post about it earlier....my bad

[edit on 25-6-2008 by pureevil81]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Actually the situation with Adam and Eve is an interesting anomaly. "It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma." - Sir Winston Churchill

They very well could have been part of a divine contest. Sure, god knew or supposed what would happen with them. But, that may not have been the supreme point!

Here is my take on the first couple; www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

wow!! thanks for responding to this. what an interesting and thought provoking take on adam and eve. i read and re-read your view in the link you shared. i am going to read a few more times to really digest your point of view and read through the whole thread. i will post my thoughts after contemplation on your thread. again, thanks for sharing your view on it.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

ya know i read your thread and personally i tend to disagree with some things like jesus is michael,and satan is a god,the bible states he is he the prince of the air,not a god....correct me if im wrong...but i also love your theories and how you want to take all the information and put it together......just like i would,simple disagreements over petty things are undesirable though so im a fan of your thread already...i will be posting there...i just wish i could express myself a little better online,your the kind of person i love to talk about these things with face to face...peace

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Wow! Thank you! I love ATS because we are allowed to express our thoughts no matter how out of the box they may be.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

i just wish i could express myself a little better online,your the kind of person i love to talk about these things with face to face...peace

Thank you! You are doing just fine. I would love to talk more and more about really abstract stuff!

I responded to your post on the Adam & Eve thread. Thanks for responding!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Sorry, maybe I was a bit out of line. I was just trying to have a little sarcastic fun at the site's expense.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

thanks to those who have answered thus far. i was hoping for more response from the christian camp too.

Apparently it's an abomination to be a camp christian,

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Justamomma, you would probably find John armstrongs arguments very compelling . Here ---

Podcast Pulpit | God vs. the Bible
Here is where you will find John's many "sermons from the webcam" ... To skip through the videos to the podcast of your choice, just click the button ...
www.godvsthebible.com/pulpit

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alcove:

[quote

Dude these comments are a little over the top, and a bit rant like, perhaps you could tone it down a little.

I'm sure you wouldn't come across as offensive if you perhaps implied that christians are deluded, then I'm sure they wouldn't mind pointing out politely the evidence behind their beliefs in order to prove to you that they're not deluded.

calling people morons outright is almost as childlike as christianity appears to be.
You also have to bare in mind that there is a prophet by the name of moroni in the christian book of mormon, which can confuse things slightly, if you dont follow the thread very closely.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
one of the churches i occasionally attend has members that both speak in tongues and are "slain in the spirit"... the other church i occasionally attend is very much against it. which is, again, fine by me.

A few comments.

First, "The Bible" is not a book. It is a library. Those who read it see what they see and build a theology or a mythology around it. But without interpretation and context, it can be made to say just about anything.

Second, the New Testament has several overarching themes:
* Jesus of Nazareth is the unique Messiah, the Son of the God of the Hebrews
* Jesus died by crucifixion at the hands of the Romans by proclamation of the Hebrews
* Jesus of Nazareth is a king, and his kingdom is among his people whom he calls the Ekklesia or "those who are called out into a congregation" (translated in English as "Church")

Outside of the Church, "The Bible" loses meaning because it can be interpreted to mean virtually anything, or nothing at all. Personal interpretation is even spoken against because it leads to schism in the Church.

So, in light of these statements, the problems in the text of "The Bible" are not an issue for the Church because it is not based on "The Bible" and there is no need for precise agreement of the text. The Church is a living entity that adheres to a living spirit, and out of this the books that are included as the library of "The Bible" were identified hundreds of years after they were written. This is very offensive to many, but the Church does not apologize for that. If the Church is not the kingdom of God, then Christianity is meaningless. "The Bible" attests to this fact.

Even Christ said, "by this they will know you... if you love one another." Most "Churches" nowadays do not have a spirit of love, but rather are social clubs where people make job connections, play bingo, or get an adrenaline rush on Sunday mornings by singing and dancing. In such an environment, the idea that "The Bible" can be understood is meaningless because, as Jesus points out, his words "are spirit and are life."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join