It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militants attack Afghan prison, free hundreds of inmates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Militants attack Afghan prison, free hundreds of inmates

www.iht.com

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan: Taliban militants attacked the main prison in southern Afghanistan late Friday, exploding a truck bomb at the gate in a multi-pronged assault that killed police officers and freed hundreds of insurgent prisoners, officials said.

Qabir said hundreds of prisoners escaped, though he said some stayed behind. However, Wali Karzai, the brother of President Hamid Karzai and the president of Kandahar's provincial council, said "all" prisoners had escaped.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Bad news for NATO. Good news for the Taliban. They don't seem to be sure how many of the prisoners escaped, or are being deliberately vague.

What are the chances this was a false flag op to invigorate the Taliban at a time when they are already gaining in strength? A back and forth 'tug-of-war' designed to prolong the war indefinitely.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Pretty much zero. This is something the Taliban would do. Especially the truck bomb at the gate.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
1500 prisoners were freed
Happy hunting to all the Canadians there.

I would bet money this was set up with the help of Pakistani security forces after we bombed the dirty ones a few days back on the border that chose to fight with the Teliban.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher

So "happy hunting" just how do you tell an excapee from someone that perhaps is a supporter of the coalition? This isn't about bringing Democracy and freedom; it's about blood lust, right Sky Watcher?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
What amazes me is that nobody questions why enemy combatants are held so close to the battlefield in the first place . This would not have happened had the detainees been housed overseas . The Afghan army and military should also train overseas this would allow for more intensive training away from the enemy .

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Taliban reveal tactics used in prison break.

news.xinhuanet.com...

A purported Taliban spokesman Qari Yusuf Ahmadi on Saturday revealed the tactic used in Friday attack Kandahar prison of southern Afghanistan and releasing inmates from the jail.

"We filled up a water tanker with 1,800 kg of explosive device and prepared two suicide bombers to target the jail simultaneously Friday night with the support of 30 armed comrades," Ahmadi told media in an undisclosed location.

He added the group late Friday night took action and the explosive-laden tanker was detonated at the main gate of the jail while one suicide bomber blew himself up at the backside of the jail while the other exploded inside the jail enabling jail wardens to lose their way.

At the same, he added 30 Taliban fighters riding motorbikes entered the jail and began shooting at policemen leaving dozens dead and allowing inmates to escape.

I don't see how they get a suicide bomber inside the jail without help from at least the Afghani police or security forces. Don't they search people entering the jail?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I am wearily of the claims the Taliban make that aren't substantiated by other sources . However the presence of a 2nd two suicide bomber does seem likely because it would have caused havoc and damaged the prison walls . Assuming the second suicide bomber killed him/herself inside the prison walls the Taliban would have to have infiltrated the prison and local security forces . Still there may have been no second bomber the truck bomb may have been enough to do the job .

The enemy will have gained many of its experienced leaders who will pass on there knowledge about such things as interrogation methods . Such info and experience is priceless . I see no reason why enemy combatants should not remain in Afghan custody while they are imprisoned outside of the country .

[edit on 14-6-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Sounds like the coalition are running out of enemies to me....talk about re-cycling!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
That's one hell of an escape plan. They should take that little story to Hollywood, would make a great film. This story just tells us how sophisticated the Taliban are. five British soldiers have died within the last ten days, I think we're going to see a bloody summer. It seems from where I'm standing that the Taliban are giving the coalition a bloody nose at present. Another unwinnable war in my opinion, the only thing we can do is maintain a presence to keep a control on things. But how long can we maintain a presence?

Surely it will all end up in tears.

[edit on 14uSaturday08/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by paul76

In all fairness though, only 76 have died as a result of enemy action since 2001. Thats 11 a year. Compare that to the running total of Taliban soldiers killed and I honestly don't think they have given anyone a bloody nose. They're just a nuisance when compared to the military might of NATO.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The way i read the report about the prison attack & the hundreds of excapees,
is that the NATO command is answering the questions, and seems to have the finger ofresponsibility pointed at NATO.
Whereas the coalition forces who primarily captured the taliban fighters
in the first place are being excluded from the accusing finger of blame.

the short analysis, the NATO contingents from all those various countries who (A) don't want combat missions,
and (B) are quietly being pulled out by their native countries,
are not as involved as the core coalition troops...
and conditions existed where a mass excape was possible...
unlike the USAs Gitmo model of prisoner handling.

Yay team

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by paul76

In all fairness though, only 76 have died as a result of enemy action since 2001. Thats 11 a year. Compare that to the running total of Taliban soldiers killed and I honestly don't think they have given anyone a bloody nose. They're just a nuisance when compared to the military might of NATO.

It's ok to use averages, but the death rate has been rising significantly over the last couple of years. If I remember correctly the last two years have been much more bloody than previous years. You're also discounting serious injuries. There are many men with serious long term injuries.

The coalition are not doing anything constructive in Afghanistan, they're just maintaining a presence. Tit for tat warfare. I believe this year will be as bloody as the previous two years.

[edit on 14uSaturday08/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

So "happy hunting" just how do you tell an excapee from someone that perhaps is a supporter of the coalition? This isn't about bringing Democracy and freedom; it's about blood lust, right Sky Watcher?

You can assume what ever you want twinkle toes!! The Pakistanis are behind this and its time that they learned a lesson.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The might of NATO? You mean the little platoon and company sized forces most European nations are sending?

How about a brigade or even a regimental size force from each NATO member?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

You can assume what ever you want twinkle toes!! The Pakistanis are behind this and its time that they learned a lesson.

"Twinkle toes", I served my time. Mr. Keyboard warrior, wanna be.

You go show them a lesson instead of sitting there playing with your mouse. It's real easy to talk tough when others are doing the fighting and dieing, isn't it tough guy.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

How rude!

France has nearly 1,700 troops, so thats at least 2 battalions/1 regiments worth.

The UK has 8,500 troops there, so thats two brigades worth (ish)

Germany has nearly 4,000, so thats another brigade. Granted, they are up in the north and don't go out at night though....

Netherlands has nearly 1,500 men there, so another regiments worth.

And there is a whole host of other European nations contributing battalion sized forces.

Not to mention the Canadian deployment which is 2,500 men..

So, the non-USA element of ISAF is almost as large as the US element (give or take a few thousand as numbers are always changing). Some nations are so small in comparison to the USA that you have cities with more people than their whole country!

Nice to know our allies appreciate or even acknowledge the effort......

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Heres a moretrustworthy link i suspect

www.debka.com...

And about Hamas

www.debka.com...

On a side note ill trust US ,British ,French or Israeli sources before i trust a website named www.iht.com

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justice11
Heres a moretrustworthy link i suspect

www.debka.com...

And about Hamas

www.debka.com...

On a side note ill trust US ,British ,French or Israeli sources before i trust a website named www.iht.com

What? Is this a sarcastic post? You don't trust the International Herald Tribune, Global Edition of the New York Times? Well, what about CBSnews, the other article I linked in the OP? That's your prerogative not to trust them but what's your alternative?

Oh. Debka, now there's a 'more trustworthy' site...

Give us a break, please.

top topics

join