It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Human Rights Council tells the UK to get rid of their Queen.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

UN Human Rights Council tells the UK to get rid of their Queen.

www.telegraph.co.uk< br />

The UN Human Rights Council said the UK must "consider holding a referendum on the desirability or otherwise of a written constitution, preferably republican".

The council has 29 members including Saudi Arabia, Cuba and Sri Lanka.

It was the Sri Lankan envoy who raised concerns over the British monarchy.

The UN report was also critical of the UK's treatment of immigrants from Sudan.

Syrian representatives accused the UK of discriminating against Muslims and Iran complained about the UK's record on tackling sexual discrimination.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well ain't that something? Treating Muslims with disrespect. Unacceptable. Get rid of the Queen!!!

www.telegraph.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Saudi Arabia has problem with England having a queen? i do not know if to laugh or to cry ... from laugh. I am not a monarchist and have no soft spot for any royal dynasty but shear cynicism in this decision is simply breathtaking.
Dear UN members , please do not take bread (or cakes) from dozens of journalists and several newspapers worldwide who feed on British monarchy related stories. It is inhumane! Yellow journalism shall live and prosper!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Aww, that's nice. We're quite capable of deciding whether we want a Queen or a President ourselves, thank you. It's worked pretty well for the last thousand years.

What a waste of time. Why doesn't this council start focusing on real human rights issues... Zimbabwe anyone?

According to the video, Iran complained about the UK's poor efforts to tackle sexual discrimination. Says the nation where women aren't allowed to hold public office and where homosexuals are hanged.

The UK should follow the US's lead and leave the Human Rights Council. Clearly it has descended into an utter farce.

[edit on 13/6/08 by Ste2652]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It seems that every human rights council by whatever name whether at the UN or in some Canadian province is absolutely worthless and in the end actually a danger to the free expression of the individual and the free determination of a nation.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I am not a monarchist - that doesn't mean I want them all to be lined up and shot.

I simply think that we shouldn't be paying the richest woman in the world more money each year.

We are a constitutional monarchy, and as such have parliament and then the "buffer" of the house of lords.

Our system isn't perfect, but then whose is?

I also think that perhaps these countries should look at their own human rights records before critisizing ours - particularly that of sexual discrimination, where the UK is one the most progressive country's in the world.

All in all, this sounds like a crock to me.

If they had raised some valid points then I would agree with them, but this smacks of deflection.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
They're spot on! I'd love for us to get rid of the Royal family. What do they do? They're just a load of rich elitist toffs who swan about living a life of luxury at the tax payers expense. It's high time we kicked them out and become a republic. I hate everything they stand for. Down with queen
Up with the republic

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

It's not about whether you support the monarchy or not, really. It's about having a group of dictatorships lecture you on human rights (Saudi Arabia was on that panel... they're a monarchy, as ZeroKnowledge has said. They're an absolute monarchy at that. Where women can be imprisoned for being raped.

The sheer hypocrisy is astonishing.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Holy crap, that's one of the ones we didn't bother to conquer and enslave.

I wonder when the world is going to wake up to the fact that we have fairly bloody hands in terms of what we were up to in the rest of the world when we were 'colonising' America.

On the other hand, I'm surprised at the Saudis, i thought they were in favour of monarchy the same way we were.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
I simply think that we shouldn't be paying the richest woman in the world more money each year.

Oprah is your Queen?

Honestly, England should tell them to get bent.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

It's worked pretty well for the last thousand years.

Yeah sure. Except the whole tyranny thing.

Seriously, monarchy should be abolished worldwide. It's a vestige from medieval time. And the british monarchy is one of the most powerful mafia on earth, get rid of them and help humanity, by ``rid`` I mean ``hang``.

Then take everything they own, billions of $$ worth of wealth, and give it back to the english people for forgiveness for all they did to humanity. Then maybe we can consider forgiving them. But it's like forgiving Hitler, you can't.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Does anyone still think the UN Human Rights Council is 'in touch' with the rest of us Humans on the planet?

The UN has a real problem accepting the 'self-determination' thing. The want to be, work towards, and think they are entitled to be the world government. Yup, the haven for the NWO...

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Our modern Monarchy is something that carries certain aspects to it not seen in any other western group, it represents Britain's pride in it's lineage, which although muddied somewhat, has remained true to it's roots for nearly a thousand years.

Infact i believe the one thousand year anniversary of our saxon* heritage is due within the next 30 years or so, coincidentally.

Regardless, we've done a bit to clean up our act, giving independance back to most of the world (All of it, infact), and nowadays it's literally just a family of people with an odd power at their disposal (asides from the wealth).

I do happen to think they're a bit tight-fisted, though.

*Heh.

I got the time period wrong, it should actually be about 1500, with regards to the norman 'colonisation' of england.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So these minorites are being "mistreated".
What made them think they should go there in the first place.
They are being treated as invaders with they are.
Don't like it. Go back where you came from.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I feel proud that my country has a rich heritage and a monarchy, it makes Britain Great. I wish all these UN types and eurocrats would shove off and stop trying to change my excellent country, I reckon their just jealous.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
When the people in the UK get tired of supporting an outdated monarchy they will be rid of it themselves.

The UN should focus on BURMA and other hot spots and leave the UK folks alone.

(I frigg'n hate the UN .. what a useless cesspool of idiots)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Anti-Tyrant: Well sorry for my rant, because i'm highly against monarchy and any form of tyranny.

And yes, the british monarchy still have the world under it's control, but more subtle. They now own the world by money and banks. They have powerful allies, like the Rothschild and the Rockefeller families.

They own the US, Canada, most of Europe, most of Africa, Japan, Australia, Colombia, Mexico, well, the whole globalist crowd. The occidental world + most of Africa. Resistance is growing anyway, just like it had grown back in the 1776, and after WW1.

No nations want tyranny, yet, globalists always want to take over. It didn't work by force, now they do it by stealth and banks.

If you study the mindset of the british monarchy and the ``elite`` in general, they think as themselves as superior to the ``commoners`` and want to get rid of them, they think as us as no more than cattle. I mean, it's been generations of brainwashing. They are like King Louis XIV of France... they have the same mindset, but now, they not only have their own country under their power, but the entire world if they wish so. That's what they have been trying to do since the beginning of the 20th century.

Monarchy is against freedom. I know that in Britain you don't have a history of freedom, but it wouldn't be bad for ya to have some. And if you like so much your monarchy, they are the ones pushing for an European Union and getting rid of your culture, freedoms and sovergnity.

Enjoy.

Anyway I'm Canadian and I hate any form of higher authority. I'll probably never understand why you love so much a tyranny symbol.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The Lisbon Treaty made many references to "Human Rights". I'm guessing it is just becoming a universally bad thing to have.

To suggest we should get rid of our Monarchy should be a treasonous offence. We need our Monarchy - it's what keeps this country sane.

For them to want us to get rid of it suggests an ulterior motive for something... but what?

+1 in favor of removing ourselves from the UN Council on Human Rights.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

Yes, I know mate - I just wanted to clarify my whole position, as well as the deflection angle that I was working towards.

It's true what you said, but at the moment, I'm trying to get back into the habit of being reasonable and non-confrontational - something that has been missing from my posts for some time, for reasons I won't go into in a public thread

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You forget, we basically crafted what we see as world politics today due to how we forged alliances with the fledgling Governments we gave independance to.

It's all there, Every country between Canada and Australia that can be seen as a potential ally is a country that we gave liberty to, with respect to Japan and then Isreal which came later.

We are the original Globalists, This is the homeland of Industrial Capitalism.

You speak of the Elite, and yet it is this country which is most likely to have propelled them to that status in the first place.

The Monarchy is something far more than a mere organisation out to take your freedoms.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join