It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about MAC Vs. PC.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Question Fate

No matter what people say. A lot of negative mac myths around everywhere mostly by people who haven't serious used OSX as an operation system.

Trojans are possible on a mac. But these things happen when the USER clicks on stuff he doesn't know. In the end it's USER Error most of the time.

Security with passwords and wireless internet is important always!!
For companies, the security options on OSX are endless.

I've used windows from DOS to Vista.

You buy a mac for OSX. That's the reason. It's much more secure and stable without any extra tools. It's compatible with almost any external device out of the box.
Windows always needs extra tools to keep it stable and safe.

I can install 300 applications on a mac without the Operating system getting slower.
I can have 50 applications open on OSX without slowing down the system.

Try that on Windows , it's simply a no go.

I do Audio production, Video production, 3D animation, Mail, internet, on ONE machine , ONE partition for years now on OSX. I can run windows/linux/Dos/ Windows 3.11 (
) if i have to through virtualisation. ( which is ultra fast )
I'm always connected to the internet.
The term 'stand alone' is a typical windows term. Especially for people who use windows for audio or video type applications. Keep it from the internet or it will die soon!!

On OSX i have NO scanners, no extra tools. NO crap that slows down the system

OSX is not flawless but you really CAN'T compare it to Windows. It's simply superior.
I'm saying this after using windows for 12 years now from Dos to Vista.
I'm not subjective or an Apple fan boy. It's just better from my own experience.
As well as for non technical users as hardcore programmers.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Anyone with atleast a basic knowledge of how to secure there PC will NOT get a virus. I have ran a few scans in the past 3 years on my two PC's, neither has even come up with a virus.

On OSX i have NO scanners, no extra tools. NO crap that slows down the system

Isn't that what all operating systems are like?

Keep it from the internet or it will die soon!!

3 years, 2 computers, no viruses.

Windows always needs extra tools to keep it stable and safe.

Add occasional freeware virus trial to the above.

[edit on 16/6/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It is all about underlying structure of security measures taken. There obviously are OS's out there that are not easily infected by any sort of trouble. One thing that a computer cannot do is basically that

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

When such is said, I have no intent to bash anybody for not knowing a computer inside and out, that is not realistic by any measure. There are people here and there who just do not cannot possibly understand that computers are an occupation that requires specialization. It means there there will be experts. Now, when you consider the fact that each OS _is_ an expert system and you put such in hands of people who are not experts, there will be problems. Its obvious, not all people can fix whatever they want. Nobody can. Nor use correctly, for that matter.

However, when underlying structure of safety and security is in its place and is correclty planned, it just plain works and it is basically from the 60's. One shouldn't fix anything that actualyl works. There will propably never be a perfect system but *NIX system happens to work the best.

OSX basically inherited *NIX security measures and that is why it works. Windows does not do that, they wanted to reinvent the wheel and failed. It can be done, that inventing part of it, but microsoft couldn't do it and they have immense troubles admitting it because they are a commercial company that has to care about value of their shares.

It will also happen at some point in future, that there will be a popular "software packet" that will disable everything possible that requires the user to actually pay attention and think. This in context of *NIX OS (in which FreeBSD (OSX laid its foundation on this one), Linux and UNIX belong). This will destroy security. Usability and security are mutually exclusive.

[edit on 19/6/08 by rawsom]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Looking from the positions of hardware and software my belief are this..
custom machines PC swapping out parts
stability. macs.. out of the box i life apps no customization securityreasonable
software and gaming PC if you want a media center security sux
os'es linux mac os10 + window xp toss vista it sux
for linux ease freespire linspire(pay) they have CNR for software ...ubuntu clan is free
and easy install ease of install
for linux geekz you know it all so....

and I'm a pengy user my self I run different linux distros all the time

right now I'm lazy... freespire is free easy and stable as can be
www.ubuntu.com... need some linux knowledge
freespire.org... free easy install like windows there a live CD thing you can test drive these Os'es from the cd without installing and learn
Kde desktop is so windows and mac that a noob will glide right in
and check the compatible hardware links for linux distro's

you can download the iso's for most FREE linux distro's freespire cd ordered on line for as low as 99 cent

I hope this inspires some to leave there evil windows behind some day.

:

[edit on 20-6-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

OK dude i have windows XP at home and i dont use anti virus software and i do the updates when i'm not using the machine so i dont have to wait for them.

This is my answer for the poster:
MACS suck because they focus on look other than functionality, the only thing they are good for is graphics so if you do that a lot then buy one. PC's are good for just about everything and much cheapeer too so thats a big selling point.

ok now if you want to upgrade your pc its a lot easier than a MAC although if you bought a brand name one instead of having built your own that might be more expensive for you. ALWAYS BUILD YOUR OWN ITS NOT HARD!!!!

then i have nothing against linux but i dont have anything for it either so no comment on it.

ok and dont get vista try to buy a pc with xp, you can always go back and get a vista skin for it and it will run much faster, wait out the vista monster until 2010 when windows 7 comes out its just 2 years man!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by razor1000

I have to ask: Have you even used a Mac for more then 5 mins?
Your comment about Mac being more about look then functionality are way out of line there and same goes to your Vista comments. Have you any idea on the improvement of vista from XP? I admit, it might be a little more resource hungry then XP, but what OS sucessor isnt? Also have you tryed a Vista copy that wasnt the edition that came with you computer? Many companies load their BS onto the vista machines they sell and it gives the OS a bad name... for example: I was at work today and I had to set up a toshiba laptop to be on display. From pushing the on button it took an hour to set up.... to put that in perspective, I can install vista on the same spec machine in half an hour and have it set up and ready to go in another half hour - a pre built machine with the OS already loaded should take 1 hour to be useable.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by funky monk

yes yes and yes i'm not talking just to be negative but overall when i use mac's i feel like i'm learning french.

and the thing i dont like about vista is that its security prompts are worse than security at the airport.

also i have built vista machines for people with no shareware in it. i like the look of vista but it does not do anything estra for me, like i said i'm not worried about security since i do not go on sites that are most likely to have viruses anymore thanks TPB

[edit on 6/20/2008 by razor1000]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have 2 setups. 1 kubuntu, the other xp. XP itself has given me very little problems throughout the years. Ive been using kubuntu/ubuntu about a year and a half off and on now. It frustrates me to no end because something as simple as unzipping a file takes longer. Hopefully it'll be more user friendly in the future but for now my main system is XP. Is it too much to ask to make watching some xvid videos and dvds a little easier? lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Question Fate
I have 2 setups. 1 kubuntu, the other xp. XP itself has given me very little problems throughout the years. Ive been using kubuntu/ubuntu about a year and a half off and on now. It frustrates me to no end because something as simple as unzipping a file takes longer.

A better IMO, linux OS is mandriva. If you want to spend money on it you can also get a 'better' version that includes more proprietary drivers and so on.

Is it too much to ask to make watching some xvid videos and dvds a little easier? lol.

Some words of advice, thats no fault of linux or any GNU GPL stuff. That is a problem (generally) because of DRM on the DVD's themselves and the way that they won't disclose the systems for reading it, because obviously that also allows piracy through how to read a DVD onto memory. As such GNU linux has a problem. Similarly with other DRM things like copying music from CD to disk, BBC Iplayer etc.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by apex

kubuntu/ubuntu actually worked driverwise right fromt the getgo. it recognized an old spare wireless card I popped in there, and the drivers for my old rage pro 32mb vid card are better in kubuntu than in windows (no 16:10 driver support for the card in windows, but ubuntu does it perfectly without probs lol).

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
i've been using linux for 10 years, both as a desktop and server, and not once have i ever gotten a virus or any other kind of malware.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join