It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: The Ugly Truth...The Ugly American (Highly Disturbing)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose
Leadership starts at the very top... the Commander in Chief, and from there filters down to the enlisted members. If no leadership or responsibility is being used at the top, how can you hold the enlisted members responsible? It's the Trickle Down Theory of Military Discipline.

Oh so all the enlisted members don't have any morality to begin with, they need discipline to instill it in them?

Thats the biggest cop out I've ever heard.

Those guys are pieces of sh!t.

You shouldn't need someone there to tell you whats right or wrong.

To all those posters saying don't judge the US military by these couple of bad eggs, well lets be realistic about how many bad eggs do you have?

This sort of behavior isn't isolated. You've got Abu Ghraib which is was a PR disaster for the military.

Then you've got videos like this popping up all the time e.g. the video below shows an iraq vet recounting his kills.... which equate to cold blooded killings. He talks about how he has '# you' written in Arabic on his choking arm.

If it looks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, if tastes like a duck it probably is a duck.

Stop living in denial.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOOmOO
Defending your borders? GO HOME AND DEFEND THEM THEN. American's don't even understand geography or demographics outside of America and yet claim to be defending their borders in OUR countries.

Stop for a bit and think why we hate Americans.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by mOOmOO]

That's a good bit of stereotyping going on there. I don't care for how you judge all Americans based on the actions of our government. Contrary to what you may believe, this country isn't filled with people who want to tell the rest of the world what to do and how to live. Some of us want peace and prosperity for all.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Usually I'm not one to stereotype but yeah i think Americans have a really poor understanding of geography. It helps me rationalize the sort of intellect that the majority of Americans would have to lack in order to vote Bush in twice.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sp00ner
Of course, the UK soldiers doing it a couple years back, that was more acceptable, or is it just less fashionable to hate on them?

It shows your weakness to immediately start blaming others. UK soldiers did do it yes, so did German soldiers... once. That's the difference. It happens in every army from time to time, but within the US army it seems to happen on a permanent basis, therefore these crimes cannot be defined as incidents anymore.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
This attitude is not new nor limited to military soldiers, I have been around it for far too many years and have nothing good to say about it. This is what I think of when I hear about the end of the world (or age) as we know it. I think this is the type of stuff that is going to end. Here is an example of part of the old way that is 'in end times' and that will make room for a new way or age to begin.
This type of ignorance and complete lack of respect cannot continue, somethings gotta break, and again it is not limited to the military. There are a lot of good people in the military and gov for that matter, they're all just sleeping I guess.
Focusing on this kind of negative rhetoric diverts your attention away from anything positive. So even though you disagree with it you may still be apart of it in some way.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose

Leadership starts at the very top... the Commander in Chief, and from there filters down to the enlisted members. If no leadership or responsibility is being used at the top, how can you hold the enlisted members responsible? It's the Trickle Down Theory of Military Discipline.

Wrong. Leadership starts with the individuals. The people who are really accountable are the individuals and the VOTERS.

I blame the voters. The leaders you refer to are only acting on behalf of the voters and tax payers who fund this regime.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by mOOmOO]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology
The comments made by those who seek a comparison of repugnant acts of violence finding the limits to vulgarity and senseless acts of torture and murder using tit for tat arguments about who is cutting heads off and strapping bombs to children etc are so missing the point it, they should feel embarrassed by their ignorance. The comments made about War being Ugly? This was NEVER about War if you even want to call it that. It is about the systematic methodical genocide of an Oil Rich Iraq powerful men in Business and Government Covet. -.....
Conspiriology,
Very well said, I feel as though I understand your POV perfectly. Although I agree with your entire post I quoted this part as being, IMHO, the most important for all of us to understand. I could not have said it better myself and I find some comfort in knowing that there are those, like you, that can see this for what it really is.

Originally posted by Conspiriology
Ya know, to this day I have not been able to watch that video of the puppy being thrown over the cliff. I had heard about it before and couldn't watch it.

Neither can I, isn't it odd to like and trust dogs more the people? Does that make us weird or people ugly?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
well i think what is happening in these videos is sick. It is true that war brings out the worst in people. But then saying that i suppose you could also say that sometimes it brings good things to poeple as well like alliences and friendships. But as whole i would have to say it brings more bad than good

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
You know the most damaging thing about the actions of these soldiers? They're playing right into the hands of their enemies. The enemy don't even have to rally for support, these actions alone will make millions of kids recruit to the resistance. It's Good soldiers that will pay the consequences in the future, for the evil actions of the few, but hey, that's nothing new is it?

[edit on 14uSaturday08/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It will never end because there will always be people who wish to do evil things to others. All motivated by control, power, and greed. And as long as the human psychy is attached to such things, there will be war, hate, and endless killing.
We are not creatures of God, because a real, true God would not create something as evil as we can be.
Wouldn't it be ironic if we were living on a prison planet, and that our life force was sent here because of things we did elsewhere. Maybe that's why the Van Allen belt which surrounds this world is put there, not to keep others out, but to keep the inmates in.
Because even the most saintly person has it in them to do the most vile and evil things.
We are bringing about our very own destruction by the activities we are persuing. I would say that probably 90% of the world can't see this or believe this because they are not aware yet. And as Jesus once said, truth is eternal and is constantly changing from awareness to awareness.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Yeah it sucks, the whole puppy thing was horrible. I spent almost two years in Iraq with a long and enjoyable 2 week vacation to relieve some combat stress near the 1 year mark of my tour. 2 weeks that I spent drowning my thoughts and nightmares in alchohol. When we first arrived in Tikrit, Iraq we were ordered to terminate ALL animals living on the base. Theres no option about it, we were ordered to do this. If you think any of us were going to jail or willing to lose a paycheck because of a couple of dogs you're crazy. Now this is no reason for those soldiers to act like that, I agree, but you have to understand that OUR U.S. soldiers are being used and abused to the point were life does not matter to them any more. I've been back for 3 years now and I still have severe nightmares, panic attacks, extreme paranoia, and anger issues most of you could not even begin to understand. So before you go slamming soldiers for their actions look at what the government is making them do. They don't have a choice to be there and for the most part they don't want to be there. They don't want to do the things that they are ordered to do, but they VOLUNTEERED (remeber that!) to serve their country and our leaders betrayed and used them for personal gain. Is it right what they are doing in this video? No, but give them a break most of the soldiers you see in these kind of videos did not expect this kind of treatment when signing up. You do not get told this is what you're going to be doing or that when you get out that you will have severe mental problems. Give these guys a break, they need our support. They need to believe that they are doing good for our country no matter what are sadistic government decides is best for our service men and women.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
the video wasnt all that bad, and its expected, they are living in the most horrible place on earth obviously they are going to find a way to entertain themselves. name calling is harmless and i dont think its only directed towards iraq's, they probably do it to each other. they arent diplomats, they are just there to push the trigger. the puppy throwing thing is sinister but these are soldiers who unlike us are comfortable with killing off people and sometimes collateral damage so a puppy pales in comparison.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I am speechless after watching that.....in fact i feel sick...

sad thing is there are more videos out there of how they are treating people..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I once heard a story about a powerful nation. And they had discovered free and powerful energy. And they thought to themselves how great it was and powerful it was and how everyone should have it. Then someone said that it was too powerful and would cause their demise. So they opted to fake their own destruction to make the rest of the world forget they existed so that they could live in peace with the energy and no outsider would be the wiser.... I like this idea. Tho only way to survive is to make everyone believe you don't exist.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Seeing this makes me sad. People really need to get together and overcome their ego

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Published on Saturday, September 29, 2007 by The Nation
Ending War for Profit
by Katrina Vanden Heuvel
Based on the work of Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph E. Stiglitz and Harvard public finance lecturer Linda J. Bilmes, the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) recently determined that the Iraq war costs $720 million per day, $500,000 per minute - enough to provide homes for nearly 6,500 families, or health care for 423,529 children in just one day.

AFSC is using ten, seven-foot banners displayed at legislative and congressional offices around the country to illustrate the costs of the war and the human needs that could be addressed with those same resources. The National Priorities Project (NPP) also has a new report on the Bush Administration’s latest $50 billion spending request, which would bring the total cost of the Iraq War to $617 billion.

In addition to these staggering costs, we’re also learning more about how this war has served as a boondoggle for defense contractors, with war profit-making gone out of control. The Nation’s Jeremy Scahill was way ahead of the curve in reporting on Blackwater’s role in the most radically privatized, outsourced war in history. (Last week, Jeremy was asked to testify before the Democratic Policy Committee about his work and reporting–which may well lead to some good reforms. )

The Institute for Policy Studies and United for a Fair Economy has done important research in this area. Here are some of the more disturbing facts: CEOs of defense contractors are paid more in four days than a general earns in a year; since September 11, CEOs at top defense contractors have received annual pay gains between 200 percent to 688 percent; between 2002 and 2006, the seven highest paid defense contractor CEOs made nearly $500 million - General Dyanmics’ CEO, Nicholas Chabraja, alone was paid $97.9 million, averaging $19.6 million per year. (David Lesar of Halliburton pocketed a mere $16 million per year during that period, and Lockheed Martin’s Robert Stevens has cashed in on stock options to earn over $19 million so far this year.) Many of the CEOs profitted from stock options as their companies’ stock prices soared with the increased revenues from the Defense Department.

Sarah Anderson, Director of the Global Economy Program at the Institute for Policy Studies, and Charlie Cray, Director of the Center for Corporate Policy, suggest that defense contractors’ CEO pay be addressed directly by conditioning contracts on reasonable pay practices. For example, requiring that the CEO not make more than 25 times the lowest paid worker within the company or, alternatively, not more than 10 times the pay of a military general. This could be combined with other eligibility criteria such as no companies that relocated offshore, have a history of significant violations, or do business with states that sponsor terrorism. (Also, the disclosure rules for defense contractors should be broadened. Right now, privately held corporations are not required to make public their executive compensation. Thus, major players like Bechtel and Blackwater can keep their pay figures secret.) But Anderson and Cray believe that CEO pay is a symptom of a much broader problem - one that will only be addressed if we recognize that the entire defense and war contracting system is out of control.

“Companies like Halliburton/KBR and Blackwater are only the tip of the iceberg,” Anderson says. “We now have contractors conducting intelligence background checks, processing Freedom of Information Act Requests, writing the President’s daily brief, helping run prisons like Abu Ghraib, etc.”

After years of almost zero oversight, these broader questions are finally being examined - at least to a degree. Certainly Representative Henry Waxman is doing his part as Chair of the House Committee on Government Oversight and Reform, looking at Iraq reconstruction corruption. And Senators Claire McCaskill and Jim Webb introduced legislation to establish a Commission on Wartime Contracting - a Truman-like Commission - to investigate waste and fraud in contracting. (Anderson and Cray suggest that the mandate for the Commission be broadened to look at the corporatization of war, intelligence, and other inherently governmental functions.) Other common-sense pieces of legislation include: the “Transparency and Accountability in Security Contracting Act”, introduced by Rep. David Price, to ensure that private security contractors like Blackwater are accountable; and two 2006 contract reform bills - Rep. Waxman’s “Clean Contracting Act” and Sen. Byron Dorgan’s “Honest Leadership in Government Contracting Act” - both bills would limit no-bid contracts, provide criminal sanctions for fraud, and address conflicts-of-interest, revolving door and other issues.

It is a systemic problem for a democracy to link corporate profits and war-making, and it has metastasized as this war has been increasingly privatized (there are now more contractors than soldiers in Iraq). Good small-d democrats need to keep watch on current legislation, hold our representatives accountable and and demand that they take bolder action to bring this system to an end.

Katrina Vanden Heuvel is editor of The Nation.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
“The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” Albert Einstein

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Diplomat Without Portfolio in Davos, by William J. Holstein, NY Times: Dr. Daniel Vasella, chief executive of Novartis, the Swiss pharmaceutical giant, attracted attention in Europe when he questioned Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice ... at the recent World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. He asked whether the United States was "playing into the hands of enemies" through its tactics in fighting terrorism. Here are excerpts from a recent conversation with him:

Q. Are there winners and losers in the process of globalization? A. The concept of winners and losers is wrong. If one looks at economic growth, child mortality and other factors, which you can take as the measure of a country's health, you can see that the number of people living on less than $1 per day has declined steadily, from 38 percent of the world's population in 1970 to 20 percent today. But there has been a very different evolution of various parts of the world. ... The advanced countries have benefited more. If you look at Latin America, East Asia and South Asia, their average income per capita has increased significantly. There is one remarkable exception, where we see stagnation, which is Africa. In sub-Saharan Africa, there has been very slow and poor development.

Q. Do you think the distribution of wealth needs to be improved? A. There is a maldistribution in the sense that we have about 20 percent of the richest 6.1 billion people in the world getting 74 percent of the income... If you take the poorest 20 percent, they only have 2 percent of the income. So there is no way we can say it is well distributed.

Q. Why would you, as a chief executive, raise these issues with Secretary Rice and other world leaders? A. The first responsibility of a C.E.O. is to run his company successfully and generate products which are useful to your customers, resulting in economic value creation. We also have to act responsibly, respecting not only the law, but also fulfilling legitimate expectations that society has of us. Today these expectations in most instances go beyond short-term profit maximization. What people want is that businesspeople behave in a responsible way in communities in which they live, that they treat employees fairly, respect the environment and demonstrate sensitivity to the problems of other, disadvantaged people in the world. I think corporate social responsibility has taken a much more important role than it used to.

Q. What did you say to Secretary Rice about the war on terror? A. It is not a question of whether one should fight terror or not fight terror. Terror is absolutely unacceptable. What we have to stand for is to create and maintain a free and open society. With terror, you destroy open societies.

But in an open society, there must be a place for expressing one's opinion. Critiquing is in some ways an expression of respect. If you do not respect somebody, you do not bother to critique them. Having said that, I do believe that if you are economically, politically and militarily a superpower, then you have to be a role model for the world. If you talk about values and you stand for democracy and respect for human rights, then you have to act accordingly. The world will look very closely to see if there is consistency between what you say and how you act. You will empower your enemies and weaken your supporters if you deviate from your values and principles.

Q. What do you mean specifically? A. You cannot fight a war without casualties and without taking prisoners. But other questions remain, like, Do you torture? We, the open societies in the world, have to apply the strictest standards. We need to treat people with respect. We need to be very thoughtful about not offering ground for anybody to be against us. We have to be thoughtful about the fact that poverty and the lack of education are excellent breeding grounds for terrorists. They can indoctrinate children. That's what's happening in many countries. The perception in people's minds about who we are gets very distorted.

Q. So you're suggesting that there is a connection between poverty and terrorism? A. No question. You are more willing to risk one's life and one's family when you have nothing to lose. People become more thoughtful when they have something to lose. ...

Q. Why do you think American chief executives are so reluctant to talk about poverty and the roots of terrorism? A. I don't know. You will have to ask them. I know that some of my fellow C.E.O.'s believe they should not express themselves on political issues at all. They should just do business. I think that is not the right attitude. First of all, we are citizens of whatever country we are from. We have a citizenship responsibility. Secondly, I do believe we have to examine our own beliefs and value systems regularly. We cannot act in a void. I think there is very clear responsibility.

Q. Might expressing your views hurt your business in America? A. I don't believe so. I believe the Americans are tolerant and self-assured enough to stand up to these questions. ...

Q. But do you think any American chief executive would publicly confront Secretary Rice on these issues? A. Why not? It depends on the understanding of your role as a business leader. Do you just have responsibility for your business and just your people?

Or if you are given this kind of job as a result of fate, your skills or whatever circumstances, do you have also to take stands on subjects that are not directly linked to your business but are important? Many think that politics have supremacy over business, but does this also imply that business is just a tool for government? On this, history teaches us some interesting lessons.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
never mind

second line

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Many of these videos are nothing compared to what I have seen with my own eyes,and some of the garbage I have heard come out of the the mouths of our so called "defenders of liberty" soldier scum...well just be glad they don't write the policy,be very glad.

And as far as the voters and so on being responsible for this?...politicians have always lied,they say they will do one thing,and do the opposite,they tell stories about what they will do if they are elected,and get elected,and forget what they said they would do.

Everybody has to die,by taking another's life,you are really doing nothing to them,if anything,you are saving them the misery of being here awhile longer,but the misery is caused by the greedy politicians,corporations, and the brainless #ing cops and soldiers.

It is a problem how we treat each other while we are here,there is not a specific day that you treat people like humans,like on christmas,or their birthday or whatever.

You have to get your feelings to them now,every day,or they may not be there on christmas or whatever day,and you can spend the rest of your life feeling bad that you didn't.......

Considering how short of a time we are here,acting as we do as a race is unforgivable,not even considering soldiers and war and cops with clubs mace and tasers.

It does start with us,and it ends with us,so let's end it.

Or wait,we can just sit around and talk about it,and think about it,discuss it,but never really do anything about it.

That won't change #!.

Revolt!.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join