It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superstitions & Friday the 13th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Happy Friday the 13th everyone. I know the day is surrounded by superstition, but it's just another day to me. But why is today supossed to be so bad? Some say it has ties with the Last Supper, while others say it's due to the date of the fall of the Knights Templar.

While today is just another day to me, I do have some superstitions I follow.

Walking under a ladder...... I will never do it. I don't really know why, I was always told not to.

Breaking a mirror........ something disturbs me about seeing myself in a million pieces.

Crossing a black cats path..... I will always turn around and go the opposite direction.

Those are just a couple of the major superstitions I follow.

Let's hear yours ATS/BTS!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is a weird one, but have any of you ever heard of the one where your not supposed to have an object come between you and the person your walking with?

Like your walking along and a telephone pole comes between you and your traveling companion. The other person stops, turns around and makes sure to pass on the same side of the pole as you.

Completely rediculous but I wondered why.

Lets see, the ladder one is self explanetory, the reason is, so that you don't get stuff droped on your head.

Breaking a mirror also has real problems associated with it. The glass is dangerous and could cut you. So I see that one. But seven years?

Black cats crossing my path I dunno bout that one. Poor discriminated black cats. What if a black cat crosses a black cats path?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by secret titan

I think it's just another part of how humans use fear. I won't believe in any superstition just because it isn't reality. I've broken mirrors ( accidentally ) I've walked under ladders, kept going when a black cat walked in fronted or across my path etc... It's just a bunch of imaginational fear factors to me. But I don't question anyone who believes in this stuff, just like I don't question religious believers. That's my opinion about it.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
This is a weird one, but have any of you ever heard of the one where your not supposed to have an object come between you and the person your walking with?

Like your walking along and a telephone pole comes between you and your traveling companion. The other person stops, turns around and makes sure to pass on the same side of the pole as you.

Completely rediculous but I wondered why.

I think that's the "split-the pole" one. I have heard that one too, and I have no idea why that would be bad luck. Perhaps because it seperates you from the person you're with.

What if a black cat crosses a black cats path?

Maybe that would be good luck? Sort of like a double negative.

Solarskye....... I know these are irrational beliefs, but for some odd reason I follow them.

I found an ok link here about a few superstitions. I know more people have superstitions, so let's hear them!

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I used to be superstitious about this date as my Birthday is on the 13th and one year it fell on a friday (I'd be about 7 or 8) my Mom and I decided to go shopping for new clothes and presents. On the bus journey home I wanted to carry the bags with my new stuff in, as my Mom was carring other shopping. I managed to get off the bus and start walking before I realised I'd left them all on the bus!!!! I never went out the next time it fell on a friday.
I later read that Friday the 13th was linked to the day the Knights Templars were arrested for heresy by the pope and King Phillip and I've never really been superstitious after that.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The crazy thing about me is that I think superstition is pretty much stupid, but then last night when I was looking at the calendar to check dates of upcoming things I did realize that it was Thursday the 12th. My first thought was, "Oh tomorrow is Friday the 13th. Hmmmm!" Then I thought how crazy it was for it to have even crossed my mind. I don't ever remember anything bad happening on this day at all in my life.

So I guess deep down inside there is a little bit of lame superstition in me because I did think about it initially.

On the other had I'm always wondering why my friends black cat is always staring at me when I'm sleeping. I mean, every time I wake up the darn thing is sitting there a few feet from my face just looking at me.

My friend says that her cat just likes me, but for some reason it creeps me out every time it does that.

top topics

join