It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Strong show' for Irish No vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

'Strong show' for Irish No vote

news.bbc.co.uk

Early unofficial vote tallies around Ireland are indicating a strong showing for the No vote in a referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty.

In Irish polls, tally counters in each constituency watch votes being sorted and make their own count, giving early indications of how a vote is going.

Broadcaster RTE reports the No vote is ahead not only in rural areas, but in five out of eight areas of Dublin too.

A No vote would scupper the EU treaty, which must be ratified by all members.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Early days, and it's completely unofficial, but if the predictions are accurate, then this may spell the end of the lisbon treaty.

Of course all that will happen is that it will be dressed up as something new with a few minor changes, and then ratified by member states automatically.

Except for Ireland, where it is written into the constitution that a referendum is required.

More updates as they come in, and please feel free to update as you see fit

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Good news! the more delay this treaty will get the better, let them get worried and maybe, just maybe this whole thing will fail, or Ireland will get kicked out of the EU or something, that would suck.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

I can't remember who said it, but it was along the lines of "if ireland fails to ratify the treaty then they will suffer" which to me sounds like a threat.

Of course it may not have been meant that way.

But....

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
That's the same thing that was told to us in the Netherlands, but now we have one of the best running economies in the EU so that was a pretty big 'go screw yourselves' for them.

btw: the Europhiles are scaremongering to everyone that the EU will crash and burn without this apparition of a treaty and on the other hand they accuse the No-camp for the same thing. I love politics, it's just a big soap-opera, to bad they also make decisions though

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Harman]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
That's one of the problems I have with the EU - constant attempts to control through fear.

It's true that many people voting would not understand the treaty - hell many politicians can't - but I wonder why it is couched in the language it is.

If there is nothing to hide, why not make the treaty easily understandable for the majority?

This would also be a huge kick in the pants for the EU, as Ireland has benefitted to a massive extent by belonging.

I get the feeling that many eurocrats will see this as the Irish biting the hand that fed them - IF (and it's a big if) the reports of a NO vote are true.

Latest reports on BBC news show a growing confidence in the NO camp, but we'll know for sure in a few hours.

Then it will be interesting to see what happens.

For those in the know, is it possible that Ireland could be thrown out of the EU for voting no?

It's something I've heard being bandied around, but I didn't know if it was possible.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Irish Justice Minister has just confirmed the No vote have it.

Sadly, Gordon Brown has told all European Union nations to continue ratifying the treaty and make Ireland hold the vote again

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
highly unlikely that ireland will get booted out of eu.
however quite a lot of the Yes campaign consisted of "vote yes or europe will screw us". this type of campaign hurt the Yes vote more than it helped it. it is true to say that the No campaign did have a lot of nutbars campaigning for it and it was admittadly uncomfortable to find yourself on the same side of people you would not normally associate with.
i personally think that the possibilty of being part of a democracy where it could be a case of "do what we say or else" left a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of people and this is what clinched it.
thats my 2 cents anyway.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by tetchy]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

If true, this is the third country to reject this tarted up pig in a referendum, but the EU apparatchniks will just ram this through the politburo Brussels in the end.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Well done to the Irish
this will probably only be a setback for the treaty rather than a death, other countries need to follow suit now and vote no.

These eurocrats need to get it into there heads that there are large numbers of people who dont want this.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
There is already talk in Brussels of a way around a No Vote I beleive.

The news is slowly breaking on Sky News

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Im not from europe so I do not know exactly what this is about but Im assuming it is to go into the EU and I say fight on my Irish friends. Your fighting for more than yourselves. Keep the one world government at bay

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Irish Justice Minister has just confirmed the No vote have it.

Sadly, Gordon Brown has told all European Union nations to continue ratifying the treaty and make Ireland hold the vote again

That's pretty revolting and confirms my thoughts that they will do whatever they want, and that votes don't matter.

Brown will probably try to point to the low turn out - but it didn't seem to bother him when labour are winning with a low turn out.

I'm actually sickened that they may try this - BUT the irish government can always refuse another referendum, and if they try to hold one to get the answer they want, it might just get peoples backs up enough to vote no in a much bigger way.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Another referendum will result in a stronger 'No' vote. Do people think the electorate (in Ireland, the UK or the rest of Europe) are stupid? You can't keep holding votes until you get the result you want; it makes a sham of the whole process. Besides, for another referendum to be held then changes will have to be made to the Treaty... which means the whole ratification process will have to be repeated, and calls for referendums in many other countries will grow louder.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I've done a thread in regional politics here for the political animals amongst the members.

It is designed to deal with the issues in more depth, and to be a long running discussion, bearing in mind the meeting next week, and he further ratifications which are supposed to take place.

All input welcome

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

He called for other states to continue their ratification processes and said a solution should be sought.

Just like saying: continue the process, we'll get them!

The treaty must be ratified by all 27 members. Only Ireland has held a public vote on it.

That shows right there that the EU is not a democracy.

"At the end of the day, for a myriad of reasons, the people have spoken."

Not a myriad of reasons, people DON'T WANT TO LOSE THEIR SOVERGNITY.

Mr Barroso said he had spoken to Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen and agreed with him that this was not a vote against the EU.

Yeah sure.

Mr Barroso said EU leaders would have to decide at a summit next week how to proceed.

Yeah, aka finding a new way to shove it down their throat.

France and Germany quickly issued a joint statement expressing regret over the Irish result.

No kidding. Sarkozy and Merkel are one of the biggest scumbags globalists out there.

European leaders earlier said they had no "plan B" for how to proceed if Ireland's electorate voted No.

Another proof that they want to force it.

The No campaign was a broad coalition ranging from Libertas to Sinn Fein, the only party in parliament to oppose the treaty.

See? They want to say that it's only a little group that opposes it and that they are somehow bad.

Correspondents say many voters did not understand the treaty despite a high-profile campaign led by Mr Cowen, which had the support of most of the country's main parties.

Hello? A constitution is supposed to be SIMPLE, understood by EVERYONE, it's a contract, don't try to play lawyers tricks on us.

Mr Cowen accused the No camp of "misrepresentation", saying voters had voiced concern about "issues that clearly weren't in the treaty at all", the Irish Times reported.

Yeah sure. Misrepresentation? Of what? Concentration of power and the end of sovergnity?

In 2001, Irish voters almost wrecked EU plans to expand eastwards when they rejected the Nice treaty. It was only passed in a much-criticised second vote.

Ohhhh Irish voters are BAD!!! They nearly destroyed to EU and killed PUPPIES!!

This BBC article is really globalist propaganda.

top topics

join