It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Wrong About the War on Drugs -- It's a Failure

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Some statistics only apply to a society where drugs are illegal. We can look at all the money people spend and the violence used to get drugs, but it's hard to say how it would be if drugs were legal. I honestly don't know, how does marijuana affect Amsterdam? Are employees and public servants stoned while working? I doubt it. At least no more than people in the US drink alcohol during the workday.

I like the idea that some drugs can be made safe enough to be legalized but regulated. I don't believe usage would increase and we would become a nation of potheads. If I wanted to, I could get pot pretty easily (as could most people), but it happens that it is not an appealing experience to me. Just because a substance is legal doesn't mean it becomes OK to use - we teach school children about the dangers of alcohol and tobacco just as we discourage illegal drug use.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

The war drugs has been the prohibition of our time. I am tired of showing ID everytime I need to buy allergy medicine. Now codex alimentarius threatens to ban even herbal teas. The war has gone on to long and it needs to be stopped completely. We should punish people for crimes they commit while high. Better still our society should focus on finding the root cause of all the misery which drives people to self medicate and rid our society of the misery. The war on drugs is just giving scummy people easy money.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I say if we're going to have a war on drugs

we should also have a war on asteroids

i mean, asteroids could kill us all. Just like drugs right?

If the guy down the hall is snorting coke, you could die!!!

/end spitefulness

Its not "drugs" that cause the crime and murder. Its the aquisition of those drugs. If drugs were legal...there wouldnt be drug lords. Why? Why pay a drug lord 50 dollars for coke, when you can go to a resturaunt and buy it for 25?

I understand the reason to contain drugs.
its much the same as attempts to contain alcohol
no public intoxication
gota drink inside
cant drink and drive
cant drink and ride a bike

apply it to drugs too, if your true effort is to rid the streets of drug crime

If your true effort is to rid people to do with their lives as they please - then by all means, go have your war on drugs

Me? I'll keep fighting those pesky asteroids.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
the war on drugs is a stupid idea, not because drugs are good, and not because it locks up good law abiding citizens, and not because it costs an x hundred thousand dollar amount to jail somebody for a year or any of that crap, its stupid because it doesn't discourage anybody from taking the things, in fact it encourages their use because any six year old with $10 can buy a baggie. most of all, it's stupid because the illegality of drugs means you pay more tax.

seriously, the adult way to handle all of it is to legalise its sale by responsible adults and stick a 1500% tax band on it. thats about the mark up from source anyway, heck, stick 2000% on them, doesn't matter, people will pay more for a reputable source. then drop income tax by a chunk. the problems created can be budgeted from the money released by the end of the war.

According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, "[T]he value of the global illicit drug market for the year 2003 was estimated at US$13 bn [billion] at the production level, at $94 bn at the wholesale level (taking seizures into account), and at US$322bn based on retail prices and taking seizures and other losses into account.source

thats a 2376% markup from source to retail, if we give the farmers a good deal and take into account the supply chain costs and profits, a 2000% tax band seems easy to achieve. okay, i admit i'm quoting a global figure, but the us has rich citizens so the mark up percentage in the states will be higher than the global figure, so i am actually being conservative here.

based on these figures, and assuming that because the states has about 20-25% of the worlds wealth, therefore 20-25% of the worlds drug spending, the us is losing about $80bn a year in tax because drugs are illegal, thats about $2600 for everyone in the us, thats over $10,000 for the average family.

who's pocket do you want that $10,000 in, your families or a drug dealers, seriously. the man is right, the drug war has failed. its time to stop the madness.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The War on Drugs is ridiculous, it is useless, ruins far more lives then the drugs do.

Heres the reality Drugs weren't much of a problem until the war on Drugs started,
Drugs didn't make society stink, the war on Drugs did. All those people used to decent drugs for starters, but then within a year or two came crack, because it's cheep. And the cost of Drugs rosse because it became harder to get them so people then needed money for drugs and then Crystal Meth became popular because rather then have to "smuggle drugs" you could just make them ...

Ever see a hard care Meth head... We went from mostly people smoking weed lol, to people doing Meth and Meth really does make you crazy...

Then you have all those people who get caught... get records and worse in some states Strikes OMG... on thier way to life in jail, families that... you know some addicts do come clean, but now famalies are literally torn apart becaus parants or children are in jail... Not Rehab where they get better...

and over crowded prisons, tax dollars that could go to schools and other good things and diseases like MRSA going rampant from these instituations...

and jail is just "school for crooks anyway"

It really is the single stupidest policy Ever!

Heres what's Real... Back in Public school, when they would make copies of papers or hand out magic markers... in 1st grade... some kids instantly would sniff them for a buzz... No one taught them that... It just happened and I don't know why... But lol, I sniffed the glue too... my parents were religous conservatives... Some kids got a whiff and thier body and brain Just Said NO, Others went Yes, Yes, Yes... and... They just don't deserve to be beat on forever because of an instinct to get high.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Worthwhile links here folks.

stopthedrugwar.org

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

[edit on 14-6-2008 by thepresidentsbrain]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Drugging America―A Trojan Horse
Government insiders provide additional evidence of the corrupt involvement of federal officials in all forms of criminal activities relating to the drug problems, including for instance:

Fifty years of CIA drug trafficking into the United States, with secret congressional testimony, letters written by government insiders, information from major drug traffickers, and much more.

Secret relations in drug trafficking between the CIA and organized crime.

Justice Department's involvement in the coverups and obstruction of justice relating to these criminal and subversive activities.

Corruption in other government agencies, including U.S. Customs Service, Drug Enforcement Administration, Immigration and Naturalization Service, as revealed by insiders.

Pattern of lying, fraud, perjury by and under the direction of Justice Department personnel that result in long prison terms, even life, for innocent people, and the great enlargement of charges against people with minor offenses. This could be you or a member of your family at any time.

Thousands of families destroyed by the direct corrupt acts of Justice Department personnel, aided by a coalition of judges, other government agents, members of Congress, and the lap-dog media, all of whom are criminally linked to the underlying government corruption by their cover-ups and other wrongful acts.

The grave implications of these documented activities upon American and individual Americans, and the very slim chance of the people to protect themselves against the powerful Trojan Horse type of corruption coming from within.

Many government insiders, former drug traffickers, and hard evidence, fill the 520 pages of this hard-cover book. This book provides evidence showing CIA personnel, acting with foreign drug lords and domestic organized crime figures, smuggling tens of tons of drugs into the United States--with cover-ups by Justice Department personnel and others--while government prosecutors simultaneously bring about long-term imprisonment of tens of thousands of men and women on bogus drug conspiracy charges or for peanut-quantities of drugs. These are hard-core crimes against America and Americans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relief That Could Occur If Enough People Cared

Proving the drugging of Americans by people in control of key government offices, the cover-ups of such crimes by other government personnel in the three branches of the federal government, and the role played by key members of the broadcast and print media.

Showing the difficulty facing the American people in bringing to justice those who are guilty, and to reverse the government arrogance and continuing harm inflicted upon the people.

Providing the tools necessary for good people, with courage and character, to force repeal of draconian mandatory minimum sentencing, conspiracy, and forfeiture statutes. This is an unprecedented opportunity to use the information revealed by dozens of courageous insiders to attack arrogant people in government who are playing a role in covert practices inflicting great harm upon many people. Do nothing, and you are part of the problem.

Bring about the release from federal prison of the thousands of men and women falsely convicted or sentenced to prison terms far beyond the severity of the offenses charged. By publicizing the criminal activities of the people in government smuggling huge quantities of drugs into the United States, and the cover-ups of these criminal and subversive activities, actions could be forced that would result in release of many inmates convicted of non-violent offenses. But this takes help, as one person can't take on the system, despite his overwhelming evidence.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
i agree with a war on drugs. drugs are bad. even marajuana. its a wasting of ones body and mind to lose themselves from reality. its not good for you.

Just to point out, reality isn't that much different - it just takes a lot longer to achieve the same goal. Maybe people who are senile are in a natural high like condition. For some, they become docile. For others, they become agitated.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
In 1985, we already had a global epidemic of illegal drugs - the total value of the sales was $259 billion. About half of those drugs are sold in the United States.

That $259 billion is real money. This is real physical cash; fives, tens, twenties, hundred dollar bills, that go into the hands of the drug cartels. By last year, the $259 billion figure had doubled, in the span of one decade, to $521 billion. Again, figure that about half of that reflected sales of illegal drugs on the streets of the United States.

If you go back to 1980, the situation was already out of control: $189 billion in constant dollar value. But, if you look at the mid-1980s, which was really the period at which all of the various covert operations of the Reagan-Bush administration, the war in Central America, the war in Afghanistan, similar activities throughout Africa, were at their takeoff point. And, that coincides with the period of the biggest single increase in the distribution and volume of sales of illegal drugs in the United States and around the world.

There is a drug cartel. This is not a business that occurs at the street level, this is not a business that simply occurs as a kind of coincidence of local entrepreneurs. Just think about the situation in Washington, D.C., or the situation that's been widely publicized out in the South Central area of Los Angeles. Both are inner cities areas that have been flooded with crack coc aine. Yet, there are no coca fields in Washington, D.C. You can't drive across the Anacostia and immediately run into hundreds of acres on which coca is under cultivation; the same thing is true in Los Angeles.

These drugs are grown in other parts of the world. They require enormous amounts of chemicals to process them into the drugs that hit the streets of the United States. The funds count not conceivably be handled through physical couriers: They require direct access at the highest levels to the international financial system. In effect, we're looking at one of the largest, if not now the largest, commercial venture in the world.

At the point that the marketing division of these international drug cartel operators decided to launch the crack coc aine epidemic, they borrowed a leaf from Sam Walton of Wal-Mart. They said, "Obviously, to flood the inner cities of the United States with coc aine, is an impossibility at the kinds of prices that coc aine was at that time selling for in the jet-set community, Hollywood, New York City, Miami. So, the decision was made to drive down the price, and make the money on volume."

Some of this money goes to financing an expanding infrastructure of a criminal subculture that exists in the United States and in every other country around the world. We're seeing a massive phenomenon of criminalization of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, as the result of policies of institutions like the IMF, which is creating the opportunities for this kind of criminal underworld to move in and become, in effect, the primary engine of economic life.

But, the money that's left over after the actual costs of the infrastructure, of manpower and producing and distribution of these illegal commodities is one of the major sources of money going into the financial bubble: into the derivatives markets, into the speculation in real estate. Very often, these criminal funds are being significantly ballooned by speculation on these funds. This is, in effect, the major driving force behind this financial bubble, which is on the verge of blowing.

So, in effect, we've got a criminalization of not only the world economy, but the entirety of the world banking system. The major financial institutions in the world today are more addicted to drug money, and more dependent on drug money, than the most severe crack coc aine addict is to the physical drugs.

So, we're now dealing with very much the realization of the picture envisioned by Aldous Huxley back in 1961. And, the question that has been put on the table for all policy makers in Washington as the result of the San Jose Mercury News and what we've done to fill that picture out, is: Can the drug epidemic be stopped? Can something be done about it? Or is it simply too late?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Alcohol kills more people every day than all the other drugs combined.

Yet it is legal to get anywere if you are of age and anybody under age can get it just as easy.

Cannibus has never Killed anyone since the day God put it here for use to use.

Man made Alcohol god made Cannibus who do you trust?

Ezekiel 34:29 And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duality
Sorry but I totally disagree with this. The entire thing with drugs, even alcohol I suppose is that they're "mind altering substances". Alcohol for example causes people to lose their inhibitions. I'll admit people's predispositions towards certain behaviour can be a big aspect of it, but drugs (the hard types in particular) can make a normal person batsh*t crazy, especially with prolonged use.

You are incredibly ignorant and I would challenge to argue your position anytime. You are the epitome of intolerance and selfishness. If someone smokes some pot and is not hurting or effecting anyone else directly it should be none of anyones business. This is the real problem with people like you today. We don't need or want governments made up of people like you telling us how to live or how to take care of ourselves. Especially when it has no effect on your life...

I'll step on toes by even saying that marijuana should stay illegal too. I'll give it credit that it doesn't tend to make people violent or anything, but it does make them lazy and half braindead (again getting worse with continued use).

Show me one source of reliable origin because right now you are spewing nonsensical information that has no scientific proof.

www.washingtonpost.com...
www.mapinc.org...
stopthedrugwar.org...
www.drugpolicy.org...

Read it and weep! You are talking nonsensical lies and should actually try and educate yourself before being disgustingly wrong about everything you THINK you actually know about drugs.

Why should I care? I guess because they're the people I live with in society, they're people cooking meals at hotels or whatever, fixing my car, doing up databases... Anything. I don't want to live in a society where most of the people have drug addled minds.

I already showed you some sources to scientific evidence DISPROVING your lies about mental illness or causing "drug addled minds"

Yes, we all know there are stories of people who smoke pot X number of times over Y number of years in Z situation and they're fine, but overall this isn't the case, people get addicted to that stuff without realising way too easily.

Wrong again mr. smarty pants

Fact: There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary. With very large doses, marijuana can cause temporary toxic psychosis. This occurs rarely, and almost always when marijuana is eaten rather than smoked. Marijuana does not cause profound changes in people's behavior.

Fact: Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild. see link www.drugpolicy.org...

Go home now and sulk at how much you hate this group of people or that group of people because you are nothing more greater then the bigget of all biggets. I could probably write a 3 page novel on just how stupidly wrong you are with your information and how narrow minded you are for thinking you can tell other people what freedoms they have to live out their lives. How dare you!

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Raphael]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Sorry but I totally disagree with this. The entire thing with drugs, even alcohol I suppose is that they're "mind altering substances".

So are oxygen, and chocolate, time to get the ban hammer out then eh?

I'll step on toes by even saying that marijuana should stay illegal too. I'll give it credit that it doesn't tend to make people violent or anything, but it does make them lazy and half braindead (again getting worse with continued use).

Oh really? And you have scientific data to back up such claims? I would wager that Cannabis does little to effect ones motivation; simply put, your either motivated or your not. Those that are, will do whatever it is they wish to do regardless of how much grass they smoke, and those that aren't, will remain on the couch till its time for a PB and J sandwich.

Why should I care? I guess because they're the people I live with in society, they're people cooking meals at hotels or whatever, fixing my car, doing up databases... Anything. I don't want to live in a society where most of the people have drug addled minds.

Gee then you better end it for yourself right now if it bothers you so much.
Fact is, everything you do, whether its go for a 5k run, do a line of coke, eat a chocolate bar, or have sex with your significant other, alters your brain chemistry. If that is the definition of a drug, then everyone is a drug addict.

Yes, we all know there are stories of people who smoke pot X number of times over Y number of years in Z situation and they're fine, but overall this isn't the case, people get addicted to that stuff without realising way too easily.

There are NO physically addictive properties to cannabis Prove me wrong.

I also think that it sets a bad precedent. It'll just start the argument of "well ONE of them is already legal, why not the rest???" and "marijuana isn't even worse than X, make that legal!!". Errrgh. Bad road to go down.

The alcohol, tobacco, and pharmaceutical companies started us on that road and make record profits every year from it.

Anyway... Lastly, because I don't think it has been brought up and because I think it is extremely important to mention. Drugs are ridiculously addictive, expensive and as mentioned, mind altering.

Thats too broad of a statement to make for it to have any significance. fact is, there are a number of non-addictive drugs in the world that do alter your brain chemistry.

It's a bad combo. I don't know how people can ignore the number of break-ins etc in areas where drug use is high. It's a huge problem.

Coke, Crack, Heroin, and Meth are plagues on our world. That being said, outlawing them and arresting users has done little to stop the problem. If it was a regulated market, A) the purity would be under strict control leading to fewer deaths due to overdose or bad cutting agents. B) The black market for narcotics would disappear as safe and legal avenues for purchasing became available. C) The CIA would lose much of its black ops funding and thats good for all of us.

Well that's my $3.50.

In before "you're brainwashed" and so on.

Thank you for your candor, I dont think your brainwashed, just ill-informed.

What if I told you that currently there is a powerful psychedelic flowing through your body right now, one that is regulated as a schedule one drug and is illegal in the US? Would you go and turn yourself in right this moment?

The Substance I speak of is known as N,N-dimethyltryptamine

Dimethyltryptamine ('___'), also known as N,N-dimethyltryptamine, is a naturally occurring tryptamine and potent psychedelic drug, found not only in many plants, but also in trace amounts in the human body wherein its natural function is undetermined. Structurally, it is analogous to the neurotransmitter serotonin and other psychedelic tryptamines such as 5-MeO-'___' and 4-HO-'___'. '___' is created in small amounts by the human body during normal metabolism[1] by the enzyme tryptamine-N-methyltransferase. Many cultures, indigenous and modern, ingest '___' as a psychedelic in extracted or synthesized forms. Pure '___' at room temperature is a clear or white to yellowish-red crystalline solid. '___' was first chemically synthesized in 1931. [2]

General Info

Would you consider the native tribes of the Amazon to be lazy, crime ridden, drug addicts because they drink and Admixture called Ayahuasca, which contains and MAOI and N,N-'___'?

Overall, our entire society needs a complete over hall on drug education Especially about psychedelics!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
On Topic, The fact is, the war on drugs is really a war on morality. It is a giant oligarchy comprised of less than 1% of the population telling they other 99.9*% what they can, and cannot ingest, smoke, shoot, or drop into their bodies. There is no easy answer, but ignorant prohibition has gotten us nowhere. As I said before, education education education. Its the key to fixing this problem. Educate the youth with the cold hard truth, and practice what we preach..

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Raphael

I think they only convincing scientific evidence that chronic use of Cannabis does anything that can be classed as detrimental to the brain was a study a teacher showed me years ago. It basically detailed how chronic Cannabis use can in time, can lead to a change in how much oxygen the brain gets and to what centers.

However, the study also noted that once the user stopped smoking Cannabis, this change reverted back to it original state.

Its been a long time since I read the paper, so dont quote me on it.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
its unfortunate that the war on drugs has been mostly just a waste of money, but also a very useful diversionay tactic to create an idea (meme) of good drugs vs bad drugs, certainly the large drug manuafacturers have benefited from this war.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
it's just another example of how we portray things. you cant declare war on drugs, just like you can't declare war on terror. it's impossible to declare war on anything that isn't tangible, or physically based somewhere.

for example, we can declare war on a country because we know where that country is. we know that the country isn't going to relocate anywhere, and it has defined borders. therefore, once war is declared, we can physically go there, destroy the enemy, and leave. there are actual ways of telling whether you won the war or not.

to say that you are declaring war on drugs is silly. ok, you've declared war on drugs, what are you gonna do now? it's not like you can wipe every cocoa plant, marijuana plant, poppy field, etc off the face of the earth, now can you? after all, this would be the only way to actually win the war, wouldn't it, to destroy the drugs completely? if the goal is to make people stop using drugs, then of course we lost this war. have you watched tv lately? celebrities are rarely punished for using drugs, they just have to promise to clean up their act. that sounds like a victory against drugs to me.

the same thing goes for terrorism, you can't declare war on that either. terrorism is an idea, a belief. you can't win a ground war against an entity that has no borders. You can't physically go to a country called terrorism and defeat it, now can you? saying that you are going to seek out terrorists whereever they hide and destroy them is saying you're prepared to go to actual war with actual countries because you THINK that they are safeguarding terrorists.

how do you prove that a person is a terrorist? are you going to search every house in every country on every continent? are you going to investigate every tunnel in every mountain in the world for osama? are you prepared to search 6 billion people for proof that some are terrorists?

sigh... i apologize for getting off topic, but anytime our government says it's going to war on something that isn't real, just tells me that they are looking for a reason to do something they wouldn't ordinarily be able to do unless there was a real threat implied, and IMPLIED is the key word here.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I'll step on toes by even saying that marijuana should stay illegal too. I'll give it credit that it doesn't tend to make people violent or anything, but it does make them lazy and half braindead (again getting worse with continued use). Why should I care? I guess because they're the people I live with in society, they're people cooking meals at hotels or whatever, fixing my car, doing up databases... Anything. I don't want to live in a society where most of the people have drug addled minds.

Drug addled minds? How many drug addled minds do you think the pharmaceutical companies are industriously busy manufacturing? Truly dumbed down people, sickened by chemicals. A lot more than there are poeple who puffed a bit of ganj before their shift. Marijuana literally grows on (as) trees, from the earth, the same earth i am part of. Prozac DOES NOT grow on trees. Industry makes billions on a war to separate people from nature and make them dependent on their brand of meds. Marijuana works too well as a medicine, is far too nutritious, and grows too quickly for the pharmcos to compete in the "marketplace" with it without it having a disadvantage or side effects, so a disadvantage was manufactured via prohibition. Check the history books. Find out how and why marijuana was made illegal back in 1937.

I also think that it sets a bad precedent. It'll just start the argument of "well ONE of them is already legal, why not the rest???" and "marijuana isn't even worse than X, make that legal!!". Errrgh. Bad road to go down.

Anyway... Lastly, because I don't think it has been brought up and because I think it is extremely important to mention. Drugs are ridiculously addictive, expensive and as mentioned, mind altering. It's a bad combo. I don't know how people can ignore the number of break-ins etc in areas where drug use is high. It's a huge problem.

People want their 'fix' and end up going to extreme lengths to get it when all else has run out. They typically destroy their lives by burning all their money and assets on drugs, then go after other people's assets and money just to get by. Physical violence and murder get mixed into this too... yada, yada, yada.

Drugs are expensive because of their illegality. If marijuana wasn't illegal it would be free, because it GROWS ANYWHERE. And besides, it doesn't make you violent. Engage your "non-altered mind" for a minute and imagine drugs were legal, and cheap. Would drug dealers bother selling drugs anymore really? Would anybody really bother to go through all the work of the drug trade for minimum wage? Understand? The drug war CAUSES drug violence since hardcore criminals populate it's upper ranks. I don't see pharmaceutical company purchasing people getting into shootouts with cops in dark alleys, because they don't have to. They got the market cornered and the lobbyists to keep it that way. Although, i have lost more close friends by far to the "legal" drugs than to illegal drugs. The stuff in the pills is truly poison, not like the stuff that comes from the earth.

Frankly, I never understood why people taking drugs complain about the illegality of them anyway. Just be careful and the odds are you will be able to get what you want anyway and won't be caught... Ergh.

It just seems to me like people using substances such as these always want to rope everyone else in on their way of life. I've had it happen with friends and so forth and I see it constantly. It usually goes in with claims that "you wouldn't understand because your mind isnt open" or whatnot, usually the assumption is then drawn that it's because you're not using drugs in the first place.

It may be hard for you to understand, but follow closely. By your appearent beliefs, based on no experience and lack of knowledge of the important subject matter being discussed and debated, you're saying that i shouldn't be free to have a garden of herb or hemp. Is that really what you mean to say? Why can't i grow hemp? It's not a drug, but it's lumped in there with 'em. If i grew a field of hemp i'd have plenty of food, biofuel, and a whole manner of useful products that will let me live a self sustained lifestyle on relatively few acres with ease. Hempseed as food, ground and used as flour, or as oatmeal has incredible nutrient density, and is tasty. I can drink a gallon of hempmilk and not get the least bit high, eat bowl after bowl of hemp porridge made from seeds, water, and a bit of raw sugar, and not have my mind altered. I can even smoke and eat the leaves and buds, and nothing will happen. It has about as much THC as celery. Maybe celery should be illegal too. Want to wage war against celery too? Pay attention, inform yourself, and stop blindly demanding more hypocrisy and injustice. You're demanding our freedom be restricted because of ignorance. Deny the I man!

That's why i complain, because i'm not free, not by far, and this is one of the great injustices of the history of the world. You're actually arguing the case for your own enslavement.

Before you raise your voice so loudly, go research what you're yelling about, because it appears that you have no knowledge of the subject matter, simply the cursory scare tactics of the competition keeping you biased. Answer me this, do you agree with what and how Anslinger pushed the 1937 tax act through to become law? Was it not outright racism and persecution of the "lower class" minorities of the time? Was it not the same sort of trickery that happens in congress and senate today?

Bring me back a coherent and sensible argument. Convince me that it wasn't done to target blacks and mexicans, and instantly turn the population of aforementioned minorities into criminals. It'll be tough though, because it really was based on racism to begin with.

Think before you type, and do your research, lest you appear ignorant with inaccurate arguments that perpetrate injustice on a grand scale that affects us all.

I'm not attacking you, merely stating what i see. Don't be sad, go learn and understand.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
A few of you have said "There needs to be a war on drugs But..."

No there doesn't. There needs to be real information about drugs. The ends don't justify the means at all. It is a waste of money and resources to start a propaganda campaign saying that one hit of weed will kill you or turn you into a rapist. What needs to happen is education. Real information, helps inform real decisions. You don't have to lie to people into making the "correct" choice. Most people, when given the proper information, are perfectly capable of making their own decision as to whether drugs are for them.

The propaganda machine on the War on Drugs is what drives public policy toward drugs. If we're lying about the drugs then we're not making informed public policy, we're taking a reactionary stance that tends to hurt rather than help the situation.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Except, if you make it too expensive, the black market remains. Look at cigarettes. It has to be cheaper, better quality, and readily available. Not that it would ever happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join