It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

03/02/2000-John McCain Racist Remark

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

If this is all Obama's hit squad has on McCain, that is some pretty weak stuff.

That's kind of good for a laugh, considering that the remark was originally made a campaign issue by the Bush campaign during the 2000 GOP primaries

Oops!

[edit on 6/13/08 by xmotex]

I'll admit at the time the comment could have raised some eyebrows, and might have even been worth mention. But, coming back with it 8 years later, is kind of weak. Obama's internet hit squad missed the mark on this one.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
"Obama's internet hit squad?"

I don't know if you actually surf this forum very much, but there are about 30 hit pieces on Obama in here, and only one on McCain - with Obama supporters like me rejecting it as BS...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
People who live through consecutive, condradictory periods of cultural conditioning will always carry artifacts from the different values that were beaten in to them, even if the very next political establishment condemns the values of the previous regime. In this country with regularly scheduled revolution, (USA) it's as though people sometimes speak from the POV of the past. Many living Americans fought Asians. Japan, Korea, Vietnam. And were conditioned to view these groups as enemies. Believe me, US soldiers returning from parts of the ME today are very edgy around certain types. Is this racism, or survival?

Note that MCcain used the past-tense as though describing a previously held attitude in terms of his thoughts at that time. It think it was just honesty on his part.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I agree that it's an offensive comment. Taken in context as to what Senator McCain said, what he meant by it and specifically whom it was directed at, makes it somewhat understandable to me. I'm sure he has stronger terms for those who imprisoned and tortured him. I think it's unfortunate that he elected to include the invective in his book, however it rings to me as an honest view of his captors and thought process when looking back at his time in the prison camp. I don't feel that the term is reflective of his overall view of Asians. JMO.

The card is laid and played. I don't think it will change anything. I put this in the same category as some of the "offensive" comments regarding race that are focused on in regard to Senator Obama. I hope both of their campaigns can focus on the issues substantially more important.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I remember back then we all hated gooks. They sent kids out to kill American GIs. Had a friend who shot a 14-year-old girl who was about to toss a grenade into a truck carrying troops. Not a pleasant thing to deal with. I can understand McCain's statement. He did spend 5 years in the Hanoi Hilton. How strong is that? His hate is his business. Don't dare look at this as a racist statement! Don't y'all think this racist garbage has gone on long enough?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The OP conveniently ignored the other "versions" of this interview that were posted on this thread because he/she wants you to read the biased version only. He (Mccain) clearly stated that it was for his "captors" only. Last I heard, he went to vietnam afterwards for a goodwill stop...

I know for a fact that although yes, there has been a lot of anti-Obama threads, but Only because the Libs are still firing salvos at bush. They haven't really aimed at Mccain....

[edit on 14-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The way I look at it, WHO CARES!

The man was in a POW camp for many years where he was beat up, and easily could have been killed many times. You're telling me that if you were to be kidnapped by somebody in the next ten seconds, taken away from everything you know and love...friends, family, jobs, your house...EVERYTHING for years, where you are tortured and abused, that you wouldn't make any kind of comment similar to that? I'm not a hateful person, but if I were in his shoes..if anybody shared his past, they would more than likely say the same exact thing. After all....he IS human.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Old, lame article. The guy was a tortured POW.

iamcamouflage: get off your high horse bud

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
There are people out in America that actually agree with McCain on this point. This is what the OP and the Obama people don't understand. Policital Correctness is no way to run a community or a country. Those thugs were gooks and I am glad he said it.

The Obama camp is way more racist in their approach to this country than McCain could ever be. Michelle Obama is a proven white hater and Obama himself is someone that is ashamed of his family for the color of their skin.

And here is the differnece. McCain was talking about people in a far away land about something that happend decades ago and in the context of POW status. The Obama people are a here and now bunch of real racists...

The OP is acting in bad faith but that's fine. We need weak stuff like this on ATS to show what the leftist Obama people are all about.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
iamcamouflage....that is a great codename for an Obama internet operative!

Calling the enemy an offensive name during war-time, or referring to them as such when describing a war-time situation is not offensive.

McCain did make a distinction, he clearly was talking about his torturers, not an entire group of people.

If this is all Obama's hit squad has on McCain, that is some pretty weak stuff.

If anybody listened to Rush yesterday, he got a call from someone claiming to be part of Obama's secret internet club, and this was the news she was so proud to have dug up. I think Rush describe the "amazing" find as old news and weak also.

Yup you guessed it i'm a Obama Internet Operative. How did you know? I posted this because someone in another thread made a comment that there were all these threads taking shots at obama and no one could find any dirt on McCain. So, i made this thread, McCain did make those comments and claiming that in context they are not offensive, is just wrong. Just because people in war situations make inappropriate, offensive and racist comments does not make them right.

I was not making it to be anything it wasnt. He made the comment and then afterwards he corrected himself. It was inappropriate for him to make it.

With regards to obama and my support. He will not be receiving it. I will be voting for a third party candidate. I feel that Obama and McCain both are candidates that are lacking in many ways.

But feel free to attack me personally and justify racist comments any way you like.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
"Obama's internet hit squad?"

I don't know if you actually surf this forum very much, but there are about 30 hit pieces on Obama in here, and only one on McCain - with Obama supporters like me rejecting it as BS...

My whole point was to post this because someone mentioned their not being any dirt on McCain. I would like to note that i posted the date of the article in my OP as to not confuse anyone.
I was surprised that some posters actually tried to justify his comments. Fact is McCain said something that was racist and offensive. Their were multiple organizations and Asian groups that denounced his comments and did take offense.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed
There are people out in America that actually agree with McCain on this point. This is what the OP and the Obama people don't understand. Policital Correctness is no way to run a community or a country. Those thugs were gooks and I am glad he said it.

The Obama camp is way more racist in their approach to this country than McCain could ever be. Michelle Obama is a proven white hater and Obama himself is someone that is ashamed of his family for the color of their skin.

And here is the differnece. McCain was talking about people in a far away land about something that happend decades ago and in the context of POW status. The Obama people are a here and now bunch of real racists...

The OP is acting in bad faith but that's fine. We need weak stuff like this on ATS to show what the leftist Obama people are all about.

WOW!

Just to note there are about 30 false Obama posts and i get crap for posting something negative about McCain that is actually true.

There is no justification for racist comments.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I was to excited to post to read everyone else's before hand, in which case /I apologize if I repeat any other members.

This is just one more excellent example of why McCain can not be president. The man is a time bomb. His inability to separate those that tortured him from the wider Vietnamese population and the generalization "gook" serves as an example of one of his major faults- rage / hate / intolerance.

The man went through terrors that I wish on no human being. I empathize with him for what he must have suffered through. Still that does not excuse such bigotry.

He is known by many to be a short tempered, angry, and vengeful / spiteful man. These qualities should automatically remove him from eligibility. The fact that people still support him and consider him to be a honorable contender baffle me.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This equates to a person being mugged by some black guys, calling them "N" words and then saying he only meant those that mugged him.

It stinks.

It's racist.

It shows the mans true colours.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
This equates to a person being mugged by some black guys, calling them "N" words and then saying he only meant those that mugged him.

Budski .. look at what you said ... the person mugged called THEM the "n" word. THEM. Not everyone. Not anyone except those who beat him.

I'm prepared to give the guy some room on this.

If he said it to anyone else or about anyone else other than his tormentors I'd say it was definately racism/predjudice/bigotry. But .... I don't see it.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I know what you mean FF, and perhaps I'm being a little too PC here but I find ANY instance of racist language usually shows a person for what they really are.

It's all too easy to excuse this kind of thing, and much harder to see it for what it is (IMO) and that is racism.

I'm just thankfull I don't have to vote in your elections - I'd probably end up abstaining or leaving the country

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sorry this "it only applies to my captors" is bull #. The term "gook" is a derogatory term used to demean a ethnic group.

Sitting back and saying, "aw well, he was tortured so he can say it to those people" reeks of injustice and is without a doubt a signal (intended or not) that there is a time and place for racism.

The fact that so many people are willing to justify this action is a clear sign of the state o racism in the USA. That anyone would even consider making exceptions on when "gook" is racist and when it is not is pathetic. Shame on the USA. It is long past time we grew up.

I don't take it lightly when a friend of mine makes even the slightest racial humor because it is divisive and crude. I will not sit back and let some angry, racially charged grandpa become elected to PRESIDENT OF THE USA.

Now if he was running as governor of Arizona again, I would say let them do what they will, but this is about leading the entire country.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join