It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Boattini Sails Towards the Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Serious comet chasers have been watching Comet C/2007 W1 (Boattini) for some time. For awhile, it exceeded its predicted brightness but is back to cruising at normal. During the time this photograph was taken, Boattini was a southern hemisphere object… But not for long. Now its about to round the Sun and head north!

I cannot belive this one nearly got away without attention. We only have a few days to see this one now. I guess Im not a 'serious' comet chaser.

Comet Boattini is sailing through our solar system in a long-period orbit with an oddly small inclination of 10 degrees. In the southern hemisphere, comet observers had a grand chance to watch as it passed 0.21 AU from Earth on June 12, and heads for inferior conjunction by June 15. Right now Comet Boattini is near fifth magnitude and easily seen without aid by experienced southern observers and it's heading our way…

Comet C/2007 W1 will make its appearance in the northern hemisphere morning sky on June 15th in Cetus as a 7-8th magnitude observing target - easily within reach of small binoculars and telescopes. It will continue to sail north and fade as it heads away from the Sun (and Earth) and will return to a challenging 12th magnitude object. Spectacular? No. Interesting? You betcha'.

Hardly a NEO to be scared of but close enough for something interesting to look at on the weekend.

Comet Boattini Sails Towards the Sun

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Comet Boattini is sailing through our solar system in a long-period orbit with an oddly small inclination of 10 degrees.

There is nothing "odd" about an orbital inclination of 10 degrees. Comets approach the Sun from all directions and angles.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Yeah, I thought that was an "odd" statement as well, but hey, I didn't write the article nor was I going to rewrite it it for them

this does not take away from the the rest of it though

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This comet was hyped up to be a scaled down version of comet Holmes. It's still very interesting none the less.

I'll be keeping an eye on it was it approaches the sun. We'll have to see if the sun reacts to it's relatively close presence. I happen to think that most comets do cause the sun to react in some form or fashion. You can check out my thread on the subject here, www.abovetopsecret.com.........

[edit on 13-6-2008 by DevolutionEvolvd]

new topics

top topics

join