It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan, waistlines is a strict 33.5 inches it's the law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Under a national law that came into effect two months ago, companies and local governments must now measure the waistlines of Japanese people between the ages of 40 and 74 as part of their annual checkups. That represents more than 56 million waistlines, or about 44 percent of the entire population.

NY Times

Well it appears to be for the good of the people but how much control should there be?

If you get universal Health care in the US will you only qualify if you're the right shape and not sick?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This seems like a bit much and a waist line is hardly a reliable indicator to tell if someone is obese. There are people in the world who would break those regulations without having a high body fat composition.

As for this being a decision in a universal care system, plenty of HMOs already make insane decisions now. They care more about the bottom line than what is best for the patient.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kluge

I agree, this is hardly a reliable indicator of one's health.

I highly doubt this could ever take place in America.
I thought the idea was to keep Americans sick and in need of health care in order for them to continue paying out the arse for coverage that's supposed to make them healthy again ?

Besides, it's a bit late to get on the American people about weight issues isn't it ?

[edit on 13-6-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
So I guess Sumo wrestlers and body builders will need to move to Hawaii.
Very interesting.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Um...as somebody who actually lives in Japan, may I?

I have absolutely no idea where you got the 33.5 inch measurement, but it is true that those over age 40 get a BMI measurement done during their annual physical (which is mandated by law for all employees).

The thinking is that people over age 40 are more susceptible to something called metabolic syndrome, and checking somebody's body mass index is just one of the tests for it.

If it turns out that you have metabolic syndrome, ya know what happens?

Nothing!

Your doctor will no doubt tell you that you need to go on a diet, get some exercise, stop smoking and cut back on the booze, but that's it. National health insurance isn't cut and your monthly payments don't go up.

Japanese people can be strange (I should know...I'm married to one), but don't believe the hype guys...they're not that weird

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I think it's a great idea. Why should healthy people bear the cost of medical expenses for those who CHOOSE to eat themselves into a state of bodily breakdown?

And in a country without a lot of racial diversity people tend to be around the same height, making waistlines an excellent indicator of obesity levels.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HokkaidoHillbilly

posted on 13-6-2008 at 01:30 AM
Um...as somebody who actually lives in Japan, may I?

I have absolutely no idea where you got the 33.5 inch measurement......

NEW YORK TIMES, JUNE 13, 2008

top topics

join