It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Detects Volcanic Activity in Antarctica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

NASA Detects Volcanic Activity in Antarctica

www.spacedaily.com

Antarctica, the coldest place on Earth, is also home to volcanic fire. Looming above the frigid sea is Mount Erebus, a volcano that has erupted frequently over the last 200 years. For the first time, software on a NASA spacecraft has discovered a new eruption on Erebus and reprogrammed the spacecraft for a repeat observation without human input.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This is a tad bit old, but I believe we still need to discuss this. Mods, if you feel you have to, move this to the Science Forums. Thanks, and I'm sorry!

Can you believe this? I knew there was volcanic activity, almost anywhere on the world. Even in Antarctica. Thanks to todays technology, we can learn more about the Earth we live on.

I'm almost certain we know so little about the earth we live on. Well "We" as in the public. Anyone have any ideas? Anything related? Maybe even theories? Thanks!

www.spacedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 253America/Chicagof2008Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:04:24 -0500America/Chicago 3012America/Chicago by Trams]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Very interesting article.

I am not so sure about the "thinking" aspect that was relayed in the article, but I think this is interesting nonetheless. I, myself, did not know there was an active volcano in Antarctica. This makes it even more interesting to me.

I know there is land under the ice there, but a frequently active volcano? I had no clue.

Personally, I don't like the idea of any type of machinery "thinking", but I don't believe that the detection of heat and coming back for another pass over where that heat was detected is any type of real "thinking". It seems more like programmed behavior to me.

join