It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of sunspots cause 0.7 degree temp drop!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Tsuneta said solar physicists aren't weather forecasters and they can't predict the future. They do have the ability to observe, however, and they have observed a longer-than-normal period of solar inactivity. In the past, they observed that the sun once went 50 years without producing sunspots. That period coincided with a little ice age on Earth that lasted from 1650 to 1700. Coincidence? Some scientists say it was, but many worry that it wasn’t.

Geophysicist Phil Chapman, the first Australian to become an astronaut with NASA, said pictures from the US Solar and Heliospheric Observatory also show that there are currently no spots on the sun. He also noted that the world cooled quickly between January last year and January this year, by about 0.7C.

"This is the fastest temperature change in the instrumental record, and it puts us back to where we were in 1930," Dr Chapman noted in The Australian today.

Puts us back to where we were in 1930..... hahahahahaha then this global warming IS sun induced and we are cooling not getting hotter....

I'm looking forward to snow in june here in Scotland, will do wonders for the ski trade.

galaxy Blog

Global cooling now is it ? nice

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
People should realise there is no hard science in climate prediction atm. We simply don't master all of the variables so apocalyptic previsions are probably going to fall short. Plus the cycles are inherently unstable. We need to adapt to change, not fear it.

If we could solve our energy generation problems I think we could safely let the climate do it's thing and just wing it. This whole drive to control the planet (or us using the planet as a pretext) can't end well.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Oh i agree 100 % with you. The planets been warming / cooling for millions of years and we are a mere blip in time compared to its life span so far.

good energy sources and proper care of our planet and we could be here in 2000 years time.

carry on destroying it as we are ? I give it 150 years max.

But as for global warming... well a 0.7 degree drop is well steep.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
According to my data, the UK climate has cooled by about 5c in the past week

As for the global picture, this puts a slightly different perspective on the supposed cooling:

www.onlineopinion.com.au...

And here's the latest global data:

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

Clearly 2008 is proving to be a less warm year than 2007, but that's to be expected with a La Nina and low solar activity - trouble is, despite everything conspiring to produce a cool year, it's still - so far - considerably warmer than average!

[edit on 13-6-2008 by Essan]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
For me, the proof that there is no more global warming is that even the greens are no more using the words 'global warming'. They say now 'climate change'. This means nothing as climate has been always changing.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Don't know what planet you are living on. But the one i live on just had this happen.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=4484738#pid4484738

Yeah, right, the earth is cooling. In the coldest places, in the middle of winter. Ice is melting. Sun Spots you say. More like a Blind Spot.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Well in accordance to the previous Little Ice Age there was a Medieval Warm Period prior to the climate drop... which to connect the lines would be what we've been calling global warming.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I immediately thought of the Maunder Minimum when I read the title of the thread. The "Little Ice Age" that coincided with it produced the wood that made the Stradivarius violins. That would be fascinating if they finally prove that reduced sunspot activity spawns mini Ice Ages.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Don't know whether this is good or bad. Was kind of looking forward to a bit more warming, work on my suntan etc. On the other hand it gave alarmists a reason to extract a carbon tax along with all that other crap, which is obviously bad.

Don't really like the cold weather but it should kill off all this AGW stuff anyway. Climate Change? Hahaha, so what's new?

Maybe it's time to move somwhere warmer....

new topics

top topics

join